Introduce Yourself! (2023)

Welcome @cuzzo
Have fun!

8 Likes

Welcome to the group @cuzzo

8 Likes

Welcome @cuzzo !

6 Likes

Greetings, @cuzzo! Best of luck with the course!

7 Likes

Welcome @cuzzo !

6 Likes

Thanks Mike it is thatā€¦ I never expected it to be easy but it is fascinating :+1:

5 Likes

Thanks you also :+1:

5 Likes

Sorry I just meant that I am converting everything on the tabs so that the E string is at the topā€¦ I can read it easier that way.
I never consideredā€¦like Josh suggestedā€¦to maybe try playing right handed if I was a total beginnerā€¦ I just always thought Iā€™m a leftie and playing right isnā€™t an optionā€¦he made me think.
Too late now but itā€™s starting to feel good.
As long as I know where the fingers are going I seem to pick it up fairly quickly.
Good luck with your playing :+1:

7 Likes

I would suggest not doing this, as you will be out there on an island all alone.
Either learn how to read it properly or switch to right handed. Changing the entire world of musical notation is just not a thing, and you will have to un-learn/re-learn at some point. Better to break it now.

6 Likes

Thinking about it now Iā€™m not even sure that I have to convert everythingā€¦ maybe just get used to reading how it how it is.
I maybe should of said top to bottom.
I normally sketch each lesson down and rewrite the tabsā€¦I think it is good because I am going over the notes carefully.
Do you do this also ? Thanks

5 Likes

Ok. Whatever works for you, of course, but thatā€™s going to be a lot of work!
And unnecessary, because the order of the strings is the same for left and right handed basses, just turned in the opposite direction - a mirror image. Think of looking down at the strings while in the playing position, and the tab will match the string order, with E the lowest string visually. Tab (and of course notation) works the same for left or right handed.

Part of a lefty bass fretboard, thick E string at bottom:
lefty_bass_strings

Tab lines up with strings:
G |---------------------|
D |------------4--------|
A |ā€“2-5-2-5----2-1-2-|
E |---------------------|

3 Likes

I would really recommend you do not do this. When you eventually learn standard music notation, the lower pitches will be at the bottom and you are kind of pre-wiring yourself to make this hard. Additionally, the millions of online tabs will be useless to you without you needing to transcribe them. This seems like a waste and I would recommend becoming used to tabs the way they are written.

3 Likes

Thanks John
You are right about this and I will not change anythingā€¦it was only the tabsā€¦not the notes on the staff.
But I will not change anythingā€¦ I need to identify it as itā€™s written down.
Thanks again :+1:
cuzzo

3 Likes

Yes I am seeing this now and it is okā€¦ youā€™ve saved me a lot of timeā€¦ I was misguided and thought I had to change it but I now see it clearly.
Brill :+1:

4 Likes

Welcome in @cuzzo

Itā€™s great to have you here! It seems the members are already providing valuable advice! Hope you enjoy your stay. :smiley:

6 Likes

Thanks cheese_pizzaā€¦a great nameā€¦ Iā€™ve just nailed a lovely ham and pineapple pizzaā€¦ I canā€™t spell the name ha
Yes, I have had a lot of valuable adviceā€¦this group is so cool and helpful.
Allā€™t best with your playing as well :+1:

5 Likes

Welcome everyone!! :heart:

5 Likes

Hi, all. Iā€™ve been lurking a while through the weekly digests. From what Iā€™ve seen, you have a great community going. Iā€™ve began playing in 1976, when I was 14, got my Ric 4001 in 78ā€“Paul McCartney set me on fire, and Iā€™m a Beatles freak of sorts. Played bass for a number of years in bands, then switched to guitar. About 10 years ago, I started getting into the bass again. Iā€™ve picked up a few decent basses over time, and love my modest collection. I have nasty arthritis in my plunking/picking hand, and so I canā€™t really go the distance in live bands anymore. Instead, I spend my time playing along with records and recording my own music. Having grown up in Nashville, I ought to be into country, but Iā€™m not. I do love Johnny Cash and got to meet him (in Germany). but my favorite music is British rock and classical. Lately, though, Iā€™ve been listening with awe to the bass lines on Steely Dan records. My tastes are wide-ranging. I was listening to St. Vincent last night and Larry Carlton and Bruckner today. Itā€™s liable to be Sex Pistols and Dylan tomorrow. All for now. I look forward to getting to know you all better.

20 Likes

Welcome @ch_willie

6 Likes

Great to have you here @ch_willie

5 Likes