Let’s Rally Gang - an update on our Bad Ass Bass Gal @PamPurrs

@PamPurrs ,
I think your suggestion of continuing treatment for a while is a great idea. No one knows your body better than you. Your decision should be celebrated with another beer! :beers:

8 Likes

Oh… okay, if you insist :beer:

9 Likes

Truly sorry for your loss!:pray::pray:

6 Likes

I thought 4 sounded better anyway. If 3 is good, 4 is better. I must admit I am jealous of your diet.

6 Likes

Despite the negative connotations of having part of your tongue removed, your update is encouraging. Hang in there!

7 Likes

Is it beer o’clock yet?

10 Likes

It is for me.

6 Likes

best of luck to you Pam

8 Likes

Thanks @Wombat-metal , and the same goes for you, given your recent trauma.

8 Likes

Excellent news Pam! Hang in there!

9 Likes

Me and mine are pulling for you @PamPurrs .we are all pushing good vibes from Indiana.

9 Likes

Fantastic Pam! Keep on keeping on :pray:

5 Likes

Your bravery is inspiring. Intense best wishes to you.

6 Likes

SO happy to hear the pain is history and more importantly, you’re optimistic! We are praying for / pulling for ya Pammy!!

7 Likes

Hello my fellow Buzzers. Here’s the latest update on my cancer situation:

Yesterday (August 30, 2022), I had a meeting with the two primary doctors who have been treating me; Dr. Nue, the oncologist and Dr. Tomeh, the oncology surgeon. Dr Tomeh has been advocating surgically removing a vast portion of my tongue where the tumor resides, which would leave me with limited (if any) ability to eat, drink, or speak. I am opposed to rushing into surgery until all other treatment has been exhausted; and I have made this very clear to the doctors and nurses.
My first meeting was with Dr. Nue, who commented on how much less muddled my speech has become, and how much healthier I appear. He did stress that Dr. Tomeh has told him that I should have the surgery. Once again, I advocated for my own well-being and insisted that we don’t rush into surgery, but give the immunotherapy a chance. After all, the tumor has shrunk considerably due to the chemotherapy and immunotherapy, and the intense pain that I suffered a few months ago has reduced to almost nothing. I finally got him to concede to the idea of giving it at least another 60 days. He scheduled me for another PETscan on October 25th, from which they will determine whether the tumor has continued to shrink or stayed the same, or possibly grown bigger. If the tumor has not shrunk at that time, he will send me back to chemotherapy for more infusions, rather than rushing into the drastic step of surgery. That was the way the conversation was left with Dr. Nue.
I then had a meeting with Dr. Tomeh, who immediately informed me that he had just met with Dr. Nue, who had briefed him on our conversation. Surprisingly, he agreed with my insistence that we give immunotherapy a chance, and that they should take a look at the results of my PETscan. He did explain to me that there existed a certain window of opportunity to surgically remove the cancer tumor, and his concern was that the cancer could possibly get worse, ruling out the possibility of defeating it with surgery. Again, I stood my ground and insisted that we give it at least 60 days and see what the PETscan reveals. If at that time the medical staff arrives at a professional opinion that surgery is necessary, I would go along with it.
I’m still thinking positively, and firmly believe that time, hope, prayer (in whatever form), and immunotherapy will defeat what’s left of the cancer.
Thank you again for your support, thoughts, and prayers.

30 Likes

I think you did well for holding firm in your stance… that type of surgery should be post-poned for as long as just possible. I am sure the surgeon means well, but I am also sure he put in a more conservative estimate for that window of opportunity than might be warranted.

Best of luck!

9 Likes

Best of everything to you, Pam.

7 Likes

Good for you @PamPurrs
I don’t enough people know they can advocate for themselves in every instance of health care, and ask a LOT of questions and make their own decisions.
I would do exactly as you have.
You and only you can know what the tradeoffs mean to you and Sarah and your loved ones.
Three cheers for Pam!

You have always done things your way, and has worked out so far.
Why change now.

10 Likes

Thanks for the update Pam, it would be great if the immunotherapy would keep shrinking the tumor. Keep up the with the cold ones, if they are not helping, I am sure they aren’t hurting.

11 Likes

Hope it works out for you. I was just praying for your tongue last night.

I agree you are your best advocate

9 Likes