MIDI keyboard controller recommendations?

I guess facetiousness doesn’t come across well in text. :wink:

2 Likes

It’s early here :slight_smile:

2 Likes

SO, there really is a MIDI rabbit hole :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Getting the MIDI controller opens up a world of excellent software synthesizers and other virtual instruments to you, if you are interested :slight_smile:

Serious rabbit hole.

2 Likes

I look forward to the journey.

1 Like

On the Yamaha electronic sax, (I used to have a Roland Aerophone Go, same concept of wind instrument / MIDI controller basically) I use a synthesized saxophone engine from a company called SWAM. It’s pretty good, but simulating sax is the hardest thing there is as it is such a vocal/breathy instrument, but its fun to mess around with.

The Source Audio C4 pedal is an entire euro rack synthesizer in a pedal, with software to program it as if you were sitting in front of the rack itself. It’s endlessly fun but a rabbit hole unto itself of trying to create synth sounds from scratch. So far I am downloading patches that others have made and trying to understand how they are put together, what I don’t l Ike about them, and how to fix but soon will make my own. I’ve got ~40 stored it in from others so far that are cool.

3 Likes

Long winded rant follows…

My first foray into the MIDI keyboard world was the M-Audio Oxygen49 MKIV. I purchased it from Musicians Friend on Reverb where it was listed as “used still in box”. The description stated that it had been returned by a customer.
Here’s my feedback on it. In short, “Nice keyboard, but the extra slides, knobs, and buttons are unusable, and the company support sucks”.

Here’s the longer version:

In order to use all the functions of this keyboard (knobs, sliders, buttons, etc.) you have to first download the software. I get that. Clearly it’s more efficient than including a CD with every keyboard. The problem, however, in order to download the software, you first have to register the keyboard. Okay, stupid idea but no biggie. I tried to register, but every time I try to register, I get a message stating that the serial number on the keyboard is invalid. I tried and tried to register, but to no avail (I suspect the person who returned it to MF had registered it).
I clicked on the “Support” button (what a joke), and sent in a request for help, describing my issue in detail. After three (3) days with no response, I sent in another request, then another, and then another. After eight (8) days and four (4) requests for help, I still haven’t received a response (I check my spam folder regularly).
The seller (Musicians Friend) has agreed to let me return it and sent me a return label. The keyboard is on its way back.
Today I finally received an email from M-Audio telling me how proud they are of their customer service. Really?
The email included a link to a customer satisfaction survey, on which I gave them a piece of my mind.
Beware of M-Audio products. If you do buy one of their keyboards, don’t expect any support from the company if something goes wrong.

That seems harsh.

Why did you return the MKIV controller and then purchase their upgraded MKV Midi controller version if you are so against M-Audio? There are other good Midi keyboard choices out there you could choose from.

1 Like

Because their products are basically quite good. My point is, their customer support sucks big time.

I hope you never need support for your keyboard, because you won’t get any.

Really?

You’re right. I guess I should learn to be kinder to companies that ignore my pleas for support.

1 Like

:rofl:

Amazing how some people just use the serial of a new product for the software deals and return the product after. Good support should have fixed this in 1 day.

Maybe something like the Alesis V49 would be a bit easier to start with @PamPurrs if you are mainly interested in using keys.

1 Like

I suspect that’s what the problem is, and if support would have just gotten back to me, we could have corrected it.

I actually thought about that one, but…

I hate to say it, but I’ve had similar customer service nightmares with my Alesis SR18 drum machine, so I steered clear.

I’m okay with the Oxygen49 as long as I can get the required software for it, and it doesn’t need any service in the future, since I know I will never get any support from M-Audio.

2 Likes

You were going to phone them to sort the registration problem out.
What happened?

1 Like

It rang into voicemail, I left a message with my name and phone number and a brief description of the issue. Meanwhile, Musicians Friend sent me a return label. I told MF I would give M-Audio a couple days to get back to me before sending it back. Needless to say, they never got back to me.

1 Like

Thanks for the clarification. :+1:
You’re right that is unacceptable for something they should have been able to fix right away.
Have you received the MKV yet?

1 Like

It’s on it’s way. FedEx has it scheduled for Tuesday delivery, but it could come Monday.

1 Like

Sounds good.
Let us know how it goes.

1 Like

I will do that!

I’m sure I’ll also be posting lots of questions in this thread :smile_cat:

1 Like

Remember there is an all things midi thread now.

1 Like

Yeah, that’s why I said I’d be posting a lot of questions there.

1 Like