Multiple Bass Disorder (MBD)

In the end this is why 5-strings weren’t for me. The relatively narrow string spacing just bugged me :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I’ve owned a Fender Precision for a year or so, and that was precisely what put me off most! I called it “the ironing board”.

3 Likes

You should definitely avoid 5 strings then. Fretboard as wide as a superhighway :slight_smile:

It just felt too odd to me. Fretboard too wide, strings too close together. I’m just a 4-string guy I guess.

Other than that, great bass. Really impressed with the Rockbass quality now.

5 Likes

Well, shit.

:joy: :laughing: :rofl:

But really, it’s more the string spacing on the P that bothered me. This bass has a wide fretboard, but the neck is a lot nicer, and the strings are as far apart as they need to be to suit my taste, not any further.

3 Likes

One thing I love about Warwicks is they have the most customizable bridge I have ever seen. And one of the things you can change (as easily as action height) is the string spacing.

Unfortunately on my 5 I couldn’t really make it wide enough though :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Keep an open mind, and don’t rule them out completely, you might find something that suits you. Maybe the GSRM25? Or one of the other SS 5 strings, or just something you never expected to be right, but it ends up being the right one for you. All 5’s are not equal.

2 Likes

Nah, just not my thing.

Another thing I found was that I was typically either playing riffs that would use the B string effectively, or I was playing things that used the G string at all. In other words, I never really ran in to a case where I used the G string much or at all when I was playing low on the B string. So, two basses, one in BEAD and one in EADG work fine for me.

This is due to the styles of music I like. If I were interested (or became interested) in jazz or classical on the bass that would potentially change.

7 Likes

My family has grown by 2 this week. I found this gorgeous 2003 Electron Blue fretless Jazz Bass on Reverb that begged me to buy it. Then the next day I saw Guitar Center was running a Memorial Day special and ended up ordering this lovely Antique White Epiphone Vintage Pro Thunderbird. They both arrived today. I may need another guitar rack. :grin:

11 Likes

@joeike sweet additions to the family, was it a coin toss to choose which one to play first?

3 Likes

Hi @joeike
Love the colour and they go well together👍
Cheers Brian

3 Likes

Thanks @Jamietashi. Indeed it was. I ended up plugging in the T-bird first because I’ve wanted one for a long time. So far it’s everything I was hoping it would be.

3 Likes

Thank you @TNKA36. I’ve never seen a guitar or bass that color before. Apparently it was one of Fender’s limited edition colors.

1 Like

One other thing. That Tbird is BIG. I don’t find it uncomfortable, but it’s definitely bigger than my other basses even though it’s the same scale length.

3 Likes

It looks enormous next to your others,
I hope they are a bit stronger than the early Gibson ones as these were renowned for breaking at the headstock

3 Likes

I started learning about 3 weeks ago, bought a Ibanez GSR200 (yeah I saw the review after) but my budget got suddenly cut in half when my 16 year old son saw my looking and want a guitar too so I sort of panicked.

Anyway I managed to convince myself I REALLY needed a different one and I could afford it. So I ordered a Gretsch Junior Jet Bass II on Monday. The guys at work that play guitar weren’t surprised.

6 Likes

I’ve heard that too. I’m hoping that they’ve figured it out sometime in the last 50 years. :grin:
Dang I’m old!

3 Likes

@Zzyzxx_Rd, I played one of those when I was looking for a short scale. They’re really nice.

2 Likes

Yeah I have a friend totally sold on Gretsch guitars, very nice instruments.

3 Likes

Welcome, @Zzyzxx_Rd, yeah, I did the same thing. No budget, I just liked it best out of the $250 and under, 4 string full scale Basses hanging on the GC wall. So I picked it out, and found one on CL, and bought it for $125 with a little combo keyboard amp (that I later sold for $65).
Now I have 8 Basses, selling 2, and that’s one. Still buying Basses tho, some to sell, others to say I am gonna sell, and others to keep.

Quick question for you:
Do you happen to travel on the 15 on your way to Vegas? :wink:

2 Likes

I’ve just had an email from Fender. Nothing unusual there. Just saying what’s on sale as per normal.

Except something caught my eye. They’re doing some new American performer guitars and basses and there’s one in the most beautiful sea foam green, and it has a maple fretboard which is my favourite material.

ARGH.

Erm. I really need help here guys to not order this. I need backup.

6 Likes