Multiple Bass Disorder (MBD)

I got a new shirt. :grin:

20 Likes

Great shirt.
I would like one with a Stingray instead of a Thunderbird, I wonder if they have anything like that.

3 Likes

Funny to read this thread while Iā€™m thinking about selling my first bass (a cheap Harley Benton one) as I have my second oneā€¦

3 Likes

Coming late to the party, here, but I feel you. I tend to over-personify my favorite inanimate objects and I kinda feel bad when Iā€™m not playing one of them. Likeā€¦ I donā€™t want it to feel rejected or something.

Yeah, I know. Thatā€™s not normal. Hey, you canā€™t jump into the ā€œBook of Timā€ at the end and expect it to make sense. :slight_smile:

Anyway, Iā€™ve found my ā€œmagic numberā€ to be two basses. Any more than that and I spend more time worrying about which bass to play, and switching back and forth between them all, than actual playing. With the addition of my Carvin B5 Iā€™m now at threeā€¦ but it works, because the B5 is a 5 string and my other two are 4 strings. That said, I have moved my Carvin B4 off of the guitar stand and into its case. Out of sight, out of mind, amirite? :slight_smile:

4 Likes

It may sound silly owning so many basses, but I still like playing all of them regularly, although right now Iā€™m not because theyā€™re in AC storage all over the house except my 3 primary: The Mikro, the Junior Jet and Poison Apple.

4 Likes

This is how I feel with my guitars. Each one has a story and represents a specific time. But for bass, I really want to stick with ā€œmy forever bassā€ and put a million hours on that one instrument. I donā€™t know why.

At least thatā€™s what Iā€™m telling myself until I buy a new one.

8 Likes

Around here, that statement falls into the ā€œFamous Last Wordsā€ category.

Alsoā€¦ :rofl:

9 Likes

At least you already know that you are going to buy a new one, that is the first part of identifying that you have a problem.

9 Likes

This is my first nice bass, but I do have 9 guitars sitting near by :eyes:

5 Likes

Shelf life of ā€œForever Bassesā€ around here seems to be about six to nine months or so :rofl:

9 Likes

Well Iā€™m invited to play on the worship portion of my daughterā€™s school spring concert this Thursday. It was a last minute thing the bass player is on the shy side and they really need some one to hold down the bottom end. 6 songs Iā€™ve never heard of but they are modern Christian songs.

So today I spent a few hours playing 1 song with 20 basses, it was awesome. Iā€™ll bring a few for the next rehearsal. Secretly, I love the idea of the 6 string, since we are doing double bassists but Iā€™ll be over filling everything, lol.

9 Likes

It would seem.
But I have had my Forever Ray 4 longer then any other bass I own, and considering its one of the cheapest basses I own, with much upgrade potential still, makes it likely to stay a forever bass.

I can still upgrade the Tuners, Bridge, Nut, and can always change out electronics anytime if I want a different sort of tone (Darkglass or a filter preamp for instance)

Its my favorite.

Its not worth a lot, so there is not much incentive to sell it (compared to what I have to sell), and I play it most.

it makes me happy

But so do my other basses, even if they are investments, hobbies, test beds, back ups, or just additions, they also make me happy.

It will probably not EVER be my only bass, but its likely to be my FOREVER bass.

Forever Bass V.S MBS
Multi Bass Syndrome
I do not beleive the 2 are mutually exclusive.

I think the 2-3 is the most practical (and I am not claiming to be).
Its ideal to have a Go-TO bass. Its alao smart to have a back up.
Leaving a 3rd spot for a ROVER bass.
Just know that the Backup or Rover can always turn into the Go-To at any time.
I am pretty sure I just summed up @JustTim process, and I supose @howard too, but at a way slower rate.
So yeah Tim, you actually make a lot of sense.
But also demonstrare that even with the most practical of ways, GAS and / or MBS are somewhat unavoidable. (We always look, even when we know we shouldnt)
MBS seems to be a little part of the developing process that we seem to go thru. At first, or once you completed your first course, or year, or whatever goal you set, where you need a reward in which to motivate yourself to achieve?

Plus it helps to know what you really like. You do not know what other basses are capable of, or feel like or sound like, until you play them for a while.

Do what makes you happy.

A second hand market relys upon it.

6 Likes

Yeah, thatā€™s a good point about the distinction. My SBV is a bucket list bass that I will keep forever most likely; but itā€™s not the only one I will own.

So I guess a better way to put it is that itā€™s really unlikely that someone will find a One True Bass and never want anything else. And itā€™s especially a bad plan to think this will happen before youā€™ve been playing for a few years and know what you really want.

7 Likes

Very well put

5 Likes

Sounds like you are short a few basses :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

7 Likes

Killer! Thats great. Congratz and knock em dead!!

7 Likes

~_^

Well, shit. Now I have to try harder. :smiley:

Ainā€™t that the truth?

6 Likes

Thatā€™s actually funny because my ā€œforever bassā€ (my Carvin B4) lasted about 3 months before I sold it. But then I realized it was my ā€œforever bassā€ and went on a very expensive quest to get it back.

While Iā€™ll never sell it again, itā€™s not my ā€œgo toā€ bass. My ā€œgo toā€ bass was my Fender Player Jazz, but it has very quickly become my Carvin B5ā€¦ which is everything the B4 is, and more, and is in better condition.

So, the B4 will be around forever. As will the B5. I would shed the Player Jazz if I could get one of those Schecter Hellraiser 5 strings with the Cthulhu Burst finish. Not because Iā€™m a fan of Daniel Firth (truthfully, I donā€™t know who he is) but I am a huge Lovecraftian nerd and that bass is super fuckinā€™ rad.

10 Likes

Hey @John_E I found the perfect rack for you. :rofl: :rofl:
Youā€™ll prolly need 2 :smiley_cat:

7 Likes

Sweet.
Now I need you to find me a bigger room to put it in. Lol

7 Likes