Multiple Bass Disorder (MBD)

It does have a nice, clean tone in that video, @howard . . . :slight_smile:

Cheers, Joe

3 Likes

Thatā€™s the spirit!

I actually asked the guy and he said he had no problems with making it BEAD. I looked pretty closely at the nut today and a B string might even fit without filing (or much filing).

Iā€™m not sold on this idea by a longshot (especially after playing a couple duds today) but other than the electronics weirdness and the weight, it was a nice bass.

As you noted, if I do this its likely competition is Warwick though, and I am pretty happy with that brand too.

I might also keep my five string, but I was having a lot more fun this week playing my TRBX than my Streamer.

I did find out why itā€™s heavy:

The body has a big slab of maple laminated in the middle.

(itā€™s not that bad, but feels noticably more heavy than my 604.)

2 Likes

This most likely comes in wavesā€¦ I also got a bit ā€œannoyedā€ with my 5-string recently (even though it is my main bass at the moment, and has been for a whileā€¦), but then I realized that what I didnā€™t like about it were actually the feel and sound of the strings. A few weeks back, I had put on Cobalt Slinkys and - I guess I havenā€™t really developed a good feel/experience with these things yet - it took me quite a while to realize that these strings a) feel much too rough when playing, and b) are just a tad too ā€œpunchyā€ for my tasteā€¦ Half-rounds are on their way :smile:

So, I guess as we (at least, this is true for me) are constantly experimenting with our instruments and getting to learn the many different aspects that are part of playing the bass, the different instruments that we own wax and wane in how much we enjoy them on a regular basis.

2 Likes

Yeah, I mean, I like my Warwick, the thing is well made and has a lot of cool aspects to it - great build, excellent bridge, good sound, very nice feel to it, light for a 5, etc. Itā€™s a nice bass and I think the overall brand is great.

Itā€™s mostly that Iā€™m just not really getting in to a 5, playability wise. Maybe that will change. One thing is for sure, I got this thing at a steal so it was a great way to try this out and see if I like it, and it gave me good brand confidence to buy Warwick again if I do decide to go back to a 4. Weā€™ll see.

2 Likes

:joy:

Of course now that my Warwick is up for sale I am having regrets and had a great time playing it today :rofl:

Weā€™ll see. I have it listed for a price on the very high end of reasonable. If I sell it I will very likely replace it with a 4-string of the same model.

Of course, timing being what it is, someone just listed a 2016 MIG Streamer LX 4 in decent shape for a reasonable price. Gorgeous too:

Some dings but nothing big. Canā€™t afford it unless I sell the 5 first though.

In the end I will probably miss out on this one and get another RockBass. Which is fine, Iā€™m impressed with the quality.

2 Likes

Isnā€™t that how it always is?? It is a bit akin to looking again through the classified just AFTER you purchased an item, when you are just bound to find a better one for less all of a sudden :joy:

I hear you, manā€¦ also trying to go severe Marie Kondo on my basses right now :grin:Making assessments of what I (think I) need going forward, and which basses I am unlikely to play a lot or at all reallyā€¦ tough, but necessary :smile:

3 Likes

Marie Kondo!?! How many basses do you have now? :rofl:

2 Likes

Well, I own three, have been waiting for a fourth for seven months, had been eyeing a fifth, when a sixth made itself known very forcefullyā€¦ so, yeah, some kind of ā€œconsolidationā€ is probably in order here :grin:

3 Likes

We need a bass family picture.

2 Likes

Posted one in the Show Us Your Basses thread!

2 Likes

Surprisingly it sold and I turned a small profit on something I bought new. Achievement unlocked :partying_face:

I need to pay for shipping though, which will kill my nice little profit. Still, not bad. Got to try a 5-string long enough to fall in love with the brand but wish it were a 4-string.

5 Likes

Cool - congrats!

Meanwhile, I canā€™t seem to sell my Geddy Leeā€¦ lots of interest, but no one is biting just yetā€¦ I guess it is perhaps not the best of times right now to be selling (anything)!?! :open_mouth:

3 Likes

Yeah the market has definitely slowed down.

2 Likes

Congratulations @howard! Have you decided what youā€™re going to go with next?

90% sure itā€™s going to be another Warwick Streamer, 4 string. The BB734 was pretty nice though.

3 Likes

But on the flip side of that, if youā€™re looking to buy a dream bass or gear, now may be a good time! :guitar: I guess economics also applies to the bass gear markets tooā€¦

2 Likes

Perhapsā€¦ but I think it is not so much prices coming down (not yet) - itā€™s that people are more hesistant to spend money on something ā€œnon-essentialā€ right nowā€¦

2 Likes

Man, that sucks, for both sides. I could see everyone freezing up - no one wants to lowball, or accept some lowball offer for their gear, but then no one really wants to pay sticker price either.

But for all of us with Multiple Bass Disorder, isnā€™t bass gear an ā€œessentialā€, good times or bad? :stuck_out_tongue: Kidding aside, hope your gear sells & you find a trade that you want, without any headache!

4 Likes

Itā€™s a necessity :yum:

4 Likes