New Ampeg SGT-DI Bass Preamp Pedal (versus ToneX?)

But I want the new shiny thing @howard :sunglasses:

2 Likes

:+1:

1 Like

giphy

I already sold my VT on reverb. The people I play with say the SGT is the best pedal on my board.

3 Likes

That’s pretty high praise to have bandmates that take the time to notice and say something like that.
:sunglasses::+1:

3 Likes

Hey Eric! Seemed like there were too many posts referencing both topics, so I just went with a cheeky retitle, should still be searchable and the Ampeg pedal will just have to deal with its thread envy. :stuck_out_tongue:

6 Likes

That works for me. :slightly_smiling_face::+1:

We also have a topic for Tonex New amp modeler (and tone capture?) pedal - ToneX

4 Likes

Wow! What a thread! I participated in starting the discussion on the Ampeg SGT-DI and took a bit of time to look into the ToneX. Seems incredible to have access to so much with good quality for the same price as the Ampeg.
Personally I would go for SGT-DI because I would rather have simplicity/mobility and my favorite to amps are the B-15 and SVT. (I got to play on a 1967 Portaflex yesterday!!!)
But I can see the potential of the ToneX and how things are going in that direction.

2 Likes

Yeah there’s no doubt they are both great. I’d go for the ToneX, but the SGT-DI is one of the most ampeg-sounding preamps I have heard yet, very well done.

I think I still like the tone I had with my EBS ValveDrive more, but it’s close. The SGT is the first solid state preamp I like the tone I have heard online more than the VT Bass DI.

3 Likes

:exploding_head:
That’s some high praise coming from @howard.

It’s really surprising to me how many good things have been said about this pedal.

2 Likes

To me it sounds very much like a B-15 in that mode and seems to do a good SVT too.

1 Like

It’s back in stock in Canada and I’m thinking very hard about buying the SGT-DI.

I love the Helix but the simplicity of the physical layout and great sounding tone make it tempting.

Curious if @John_E is still enamored with his one?

3 Likes

Love love love it.
Using it for a Cult song now.
Awesome for Motown.
Spans decades lol

5 Likes

Thanks @John_E, I shall see for myself in a bit :wink:

Screen Shot 2023-07-26 at 7.40.52 PM

9 Likes

Like to hear this. However, my GAS has been quelled for now so I’m gonna forget I even read this. :dotted_line_face:

2 Likes

Excellent!
Enjoy it man.

1 Like

The shop just emailed me and refunded my purchase. They were all set to send it out but there was some problem with one of the cab sims not working.

So SGT-DI denied :frowning:

1 Like

How would they know that?
That’s a very odd feature to test on something you normally wouldn’t test before shipping. Weird.

1 Like

My guess is that one of the shop employees put it aside for his buddy and then emailed me some waffle. Ho hum.

3 Likes

2nd time’s a charm apparently. It’s coming from Quebec, so it’ll be a nice Xmas surprise when it arrives.

Screen Shot 2023-07-27 at 5.22.29 PM

4 Likes