New Ariane Cap Fretboard book incoming!

Good choice @JPHaggerty . As I stated earlier, although it’s not a prerequisite (Ari never meant it to be one), a solid understanding of theory is handy to have when diving in.

3 Likes

@PamPurrs would you suggest getting and started on her Theory book during B2B or after I have completed the B2B course?

2 Likes

All I can tell you is what I did, it’s up to you if you want (or are able) to do the same. Keep in mind, I had nothing but time, with no work schedule and no kids in the house. I was also housebound, as I was recovering from the radiation treatments for my throat cancer. I was really pushing to make up for lost time, and I wouldn’t expect anyone else to do what I did.
With that said, I started reading Music Theory for the Bass player about midway through B2B. I was also taking the Scale Essentials course at TalkingBass, so you can see I was really cramming.
Depending on your time constraints, I would say, yes. Reading the Bass Theory book in between B2B lessons would be a good thing.

4 Likes

@PamPurrs awesome thanks!

2 Likes

@PamPurrs didn’t you all read Music Theory for Dummies before Music Theory for the Bass Player? Do you think that helped or, in retrospect, would you even bother going that route?

Also has anyone ever tried the theory book Josh has recommended form this post?
Music Theory - Theory - BassBuzz Forum

@eric.kiser you have an incredible memory, I’m impressed.
Yes, the first book I read after starting on the bass was indeed Music Theory for Dummies. I really feel like I benefited a great deal from that book. Then I read the Music Theory for Bass book, which only enhanced what I had learned from the Dummies book and added the bass element.
In retrospect, yeah I would probably do the same thing.

2 Likes

At this point in life, you have to tell me the same thing several times in many ways for it to stick. Our brains are so filled up with life, and so burnt out from whatever we burnt them out on prevously, that any path for the same info repeated in different ways is a good thing.

It won’t all stick the first go 'round, just make sure you keep going 'round.
One thing folks seem to forget is going back to things you ‘learned’ is very useful for actually learning them…

5 Likes

Yup, which is why I have all the workbooks from the TalkingBass courses I’ve taken printed out, spiral bound, and handy. I refer to them often because my brain is overflowing with music information, and I can’t always instantly recall what I know, but have momentarily forgotten.

3 Likes

Picking up my last 3 talking bass spiral bound copies tomorrow! Totally agree.

3 Likes

@PamPurrs I ordered Music Theory for the Bass Player: A Comprehensive and Hand and it arrives tomorrow! Figured I was going to end up picking it up at some point so why the hell not?

5 Likes

It’s a good deal. And a great book. I went looking for mine this week and have no clue where the heck I put it!

6 Likes

Anyone dig into this book yet?
Wondering people’s thoughts so far.
I am working on other things at the moment but curious.

2 Likes

I haven’t even read the first page yet. I took it along on a trip last weekend thinking I could read it at night while in bed, but didn’t even do that.
It’s not for lack of interest, I’ve just been very busy doing other things (transcribing and practicing my next cover, mainly).

1 Like

I read all the into stuff when I got it up to the first exercise but have been doing sight reading and slap courses and covers. After slap vol 1 my intent is to overlay the book on Mark’s sight reading (they are looooong).

That said, also going to seek out live lessons for some technique challenges I am seeing specifically around muting fretting, slap fretting and general left hand taming. I think I’m reconsidering my position on flying fingers and now see a huge benefit from getting good technique up the fretboard.

2 Likes

I finally bit the bullet and ordered my copy!

3 Likes

I still haven’t gotten past the introduction, got involved with 3 other things, its sitting waiting to teach me and snow on me at a later date.

4 Likes

I haven’t even read the intro yet I’ve been so busy with other projects and such. I did shake the book out to see if it snowed, but it didn’t. Maybe because I live in Arizona and you’re in New York? :thinking:

5 Likes

Awesome @gcancella

3 Likes

:joy::joy::joy:

3 Likes

My tee shirt finally arrived. Now, I’m complete!

11 Likes