Post your covers! (2019-2022)

Thanks @JerryP!

2 Likes

Thanks Bro!

2 Likes

thatā€™s great @Lanny , I like this song very much (I think I have the original vinyl record somewhere) and as you already know I love the idea of adding a bass part on a song that doesnā€™t have one.

you and Big Red did pretty well, this line works perfectly (composition + bass tone + mix).

:+1:

6 Likes

That was great @Lanny! I remember that song from what back and thatā€™s a great bass line you came up with. Do you have it written down?

5 Likes

Thanks @terbā€¦ I too enjoy adding bass lines to bass-less songs :grinning:

My Navy buddy is always sending me short 1-2 minute acoustic pieces that he comes up with and Iā€™ve added bass lines to them as more or less ā€œpracticeā€. Some come out better than others, but I believe that to be just me. When I can really ā€œget intoā€ a piece - such as this one that is all acoustic - I can typically come up with a decent groove to match the song. If Iā€™m not ā€œfeeling itā€,ā€¦ I just forget it and move on - no sense forcing a bass line when the groove just isnā€™t thereā€¦

5 Likes

Thanks @JerryP - Nope, donā€™t have anything written down at allā€¦ I guess I should get into that habit though :thinking:ā€¦ I typically record a lot of my bass lines instead of writing them down. Thing is, (and @terb might be the same way) much of the music I enjoy playing is all by ear. Itā€™s something I developed playing guitar years ago. I may not know where all of the ā€œnotesā€ are on my guitars or bassā€™s, but I do know where the sounds are at in relation to my tuning and the key that the music is being played in - after that, itā€™s just all relational.

In the case of ā€œFind The Cost Of Freedomā€, the piece was so short that adding too many bass notes would take away from the mood of the song and as such stuck with the basic Cm Pentatonic Scale since most of the tones I heard fit into that box. Actually, I use the pentatonic scale for many ad-lib songs since itā€™s easy yet effective enough to make people think that I know what the hell Iā€™m doingā€¦ :smile: I play pentatonic scale to about 80% of all ad-lib Country and Rock songs using both my bass and guitar.

Hereā€™s the Cm Pentatonic scaleā€¦ Listen to the song and then ONLY play the 1 & 3 notes (8ā€™s & 10ā€™s) - the 4 note (11- Eb/D#) does not fit the song. Youā€™ll be able to develop a groove once you get going and it really doesnā€™t take too long to do.

Keep on Thumpinā€™!
Lanny

5 Likes

yeah, same for me. I only write tabs when I want to remember an idea.

sometimes I record myself playing on a crappy video, just to remember the line and be able to see where I put my fingers :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

5 Likes

Thanks for the advice. Iā€™ll work on that.

4 Likes

Sounds like you guys (@terb and @Lanny and everybody who records themselves or creates their own riffs) need the WireTap

Well worth the $66 price tag.

People complain about the App. For me it works. it is limited as to what it can do, but it works.
It is basically a remote control for the pedal. you can seek what you want to play and start it playing thru the amp or DAI. You can also start and stop recording a riff on the phone, just as if you stomped it on and off on the pedal.
that what its for (bluetooth connection to the pedal btw) and it does that, it is not like an editor, it just seeks (if you re searching on the pedal, you go forward and back, blind to the tracks, on the phone you can scroll to the exact loop and play.
It is meant to capture your ideas more so than a Looper, it is not sold as a looper, but it can act as one.
I love the little pedal, way worth the price.

thanks @T_dub but Iā€™m not at all into smartphones, apps and bluetooth things :sweat_smile: using the video format as an audiovisual notepad works not bad for me

When I have an idea I want to keep I usually just record it in a DAW project I keep around for ideas :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks @T_dub, but Iā€™m kinda use to just jottingā€™ down a few notes or recording a small track into GB for something that I might wanna keepā€¦ Iā€™m sure there are others who could benefit from it thoughā€¦

1 Like

Iā€™m still pretty sloppy on this song, but I just LOVE the groove. I still only have my webcam for recording, so Iā€™m playing through a guitar amp instead of my bass amp because the bass amp just sounds like muddy butt through the webcamā€™s mic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HU1lOgObQ68

9 Likes

Nice job. Its too bad the guitar amp canā€™t quite handle the lower notes, but otherwise, well executed. Kudos on the nice job

Edit: That looks like a fun bass line to play

3 Likes

congratulations @Theron, this is not an easy bass line and you played it very well !

5 Likes

Yeah that was really well played!

5 Likes

Great job @Theron,
Great finger work across the strings and around the fret board, canā€™t wait for you to get it recorded on something that really demonstrates your nice grooves and gives a nicer soundšŸ‘
PS: love your vocal work as wellšŸ˜Ž
Cheers Brian

4 Likes

Very well done @Theron! I enjoyed your performance.

5 Likes

Really a great job @Theron. The recording is a bit muddy, but your finger style and timing were really good!

4 Likes

Clutch - Fortunate Son

As you probably all know, the original song is from Creedence Clearwater Revival. Iā€™ve always been in love with this composition, and J.Fogerty singing and playing. Anyway I decided to go with a coverception, because I like Clutch and I find that they managed to push the song closer to the stoner territory, and (as usual) they did this pretty neatly.

About the bass line, I play a bit more sophisticasted personnal version, closely based on the original bass track. I just added a few ornaments here and there. Recorded in one take, in a pure rockā€™nā€™roll way.

About the bass tone, no big surprise : Greenie, DOD FX84 compressor, Bass POD Pro with Ampeg '74 SVT model, recorded into the UX1 and mixed with Reaper. I really love all those pieces of gear.

Open to criticism and comments, as always !

:v::grin:

Edit : special link for @joergkutter and others who could have issues with Youtube

15 Likes