Post your covers! (2023)

Yeah it’s deceptively simple but quite catchy. I’m just not a big fan but my kids listen to them all the time, lol

2 Likes

Wow! Thank you. I don’t even know how to respond to that but awesome!!

3 Likes

Thanks John, I gotta mix it up…LOL

3 Likes

I love this community. So many diverse styles and cool people all around.

6 Likes

Tim McGraw - Indian Outlaw bass cover
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2amRHbCSuV8

5 Likes

Hey @Huth_S0lo if you didn’t know there’s a practice fragments thread that your post would sit nicely in. Oh and plug it in via your DAW / Headphones so we can hear it.

2 Likes

Nice one Justin! Haven’t heard that in a while.

1 Like

I started working on this one right after I finished Cherry Waves, so just about three days ago. Took me the entire day yesterday to transcribe, then this morning while practicing and getting frustrated, I realized I had made shitty internet tabs, so I went through and re-tabbed the entire song today, and had to unlearn much of what I had practiced yesterday :sob:

My hands are aching, my back is killing me, but I’ve done it…played through one time without screwing up! This is at least my 50th attempt. I am bummed I wasn’t filming but I’ll get a video of this one soon. This song is super fun to play and is definitely one of this band’s best.

Time to put ze ear goggles on…now!

The Shins - Australia

Edit: Wow, a good nights sleep really is the key to playing well. Woke up this morning, fingers on fire, thought I’d have a go at filming it this time. Video is a little out of sync at the beginning for some reason, meh.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XbPWw5--Rw

11 Likes

Nice job! that sounds like a fun tune. also, that’s a great looking bass.

2 Likes

@Ant you are doing really well with the counter melodies stuff. That’s some fine playing.

3 Likes

That’s a fun song @Justin3. When I see Tim McGraw, I kept seeing the Dad in Blindside, lol. Fine playing as always.

3 Likes

Fantastic playing here @Ant, and not an easy tune either.

Well done man!

3 Likes

Thanks guys! This was a super fun one to play and a nice break from the hard rock I usually like to play. Already working on another one from this band, about 1/3 the way through the transcription so hopefully I’ll have it up by this weekend. I’ve got a couple pedals arriving tomorrow so I might spend the weekend tinkering with those instead, we’ll see!

2 Likes

Well done Ant, this really does look like a fun song to play !
Thanks for the tab ! Added straight away on the ever growing list-of-songs-to-try-for-when-i-will-stopped-noodling-around-the-others-songs-i-wish-to-try ^^

3 Likes

The Shins! I haven’t heard this in a while. You did a great job playing and transcribing it. I know I say it all the time, but I just love the variety of covers we get here.

1 Like

Time for the next cover before I don’t have anymore time to play, lol. We are signing the lease on my new restaurant in a few weeks so the next few weeks it’s gonna be jammed pack with ToDo list.

Song Come Together by the Beatles

Bass
Mij ‘51 reissued
EBMM Sabre Bass
American Performer Mustang Bass
American Pro II P Bass

All have the tone rolled almost all the way off and on the Mustang is all neck pickup.

I’ve never done Beatles cover before so I didn’t know how much pain it was trying to post the video on YouTube. I was blocked so Vimeo it is!

Hope it works. It actually sounds better than YouTube. I just noticed it tonight that YouTube video sounded like listening though the home phone, which is very odd. May be it’s just tonight.

13 Likes

All the basses sounded good (except perhaps I think I want to like the sound of the mustang more than I actually do)…the quad box thing was cool too

2 Likes

The mustang is definitely my favorite to play. The very close second to play is the ‘51.

2 Likes

My least favorite Beatles tune (which is why I doubt I will ever cover all of Abbey Road, lol.
That said, you did a great job on it as always.
I actually liked the Mustang the least, tone was not as fat and round as some of the others.
I found the Sabre to work really well here and the P.

2 Likes

Thanks @John_E

It proves that some bass cuts through the mix really well. Sitting right in front of the amp the tone of both Mustang and the ‘51 is very Vintage and soothing. Playing them gave me the sense of nostalgia.

I agree that the other 2 came through really well in the mix there.

1 Like