Thanks @mediaklan

1 Like

Guess whos back?

Great stuff guys.

This one got removed :crying_cat_face:

Oh :rofl:
This groove is so chill, love it.

When the heck Leland joined?

Oh mate, you improved so much from the last time I heard you! Great work!

Oldie but goldie! Always fun one to play.

Another chill track! Love it. Btw that Wick sounds wicked.

TF is this madness!? Such insanity. Impossible not to headbang.

Awesome!

2 Likes

Haven’t done one in a while.
Last few months I barely had time to pick up the bass.
Gotta take rust outta fingers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZ_VBiLeYbI

Bass cover of the track Zaz - Je Veux.

Gear used:

• Squier Classic Vibe 70s Jazz Bass
  • Universal Audio Volt 1
  • Amplitube 5
  • Lalal.ai for removal of original bass

Amp sim:

• SVX-500
  • 2x10 SVX-500
  • 1x15 OBC 115
  • Fender Compressor

And this damn Mac camera is pissing me off, usually video is crap, but when it’s raining and lightning is worse, it’s even bigger crap.

Btw bought this bass again. If some of you remember I had black one and I regretted selling it. However I have big plans for this one, only parts that will remain of it is body and maybe pickguard. And still will be less $$ than Vintera :rofl:

9 Likes

nice work @Growl …looked like a steady workout for your freddy and ham

1 Like

Would love to get some feedback. I know the timing is imperfect. And I struck the wrong note on one spot. But I like to keep it real, so this was my first take.

Would be very curious to know how long you think I’ve been playing for, after hearing this.

7 Likes

Hi @Huth_S0lo thanks for posting your progress.

A. This is the ‘Post Your Covers’ thread where punters normally post completed covers of songs that contain the bass (them playing) over the top of the original vocals, drums etc.
We have a separate thread called practice fragments where this would sit much better.

B. I think it’s OK to do multiple takes until you’re happy with the result. It’s what they do in studios.
C. Don’t know but it doesn’t matter how long you’ve been playing as long as you’re having fun.

Cheers

5 Likes

I wouldn’t even consider trying to record things in one take. What an odd concept. I mean if it happens, cool, but it is pretty alien to most recording workflows.

I usually record each part of the song separately, and also retake parts of those several times.

It’s the end result that matters, this isn’t some kind of purity contest.

:+1:

3 Likes

My take on this, and I understand it is just my take and we all have our own goals…

If I can’t play it in one take, I can’t play the song. I guess I view it more like “live” than like “studio”. I understand that they don’t play it in a single take when recording an album/song - their goal is perfection, and studio time is money, so it’s more efficient to complete things in pieces and “paste” them together.

My goal is to be able to play a song from start to finish. If the song starts, and I can’t keep up until the end, then I can’t play it. If I’m on stage* and we’re playing something, I can’t punch in and punch out or do retakes.

But, obviously, that’s just my view… However anyone chooses to achieve their satisfaction from this bass journey is good for them… Guess I just wanted to comment on the “one take” mentality. Maybe I shouldn’t drink and post. :rofl:

• hypothetical - will never happen
3 Likes

It would matter to me more if I ever wanted to play live again, sure. But that’s really, really unlikely.

2 Likes

Classic! Great job @g13dip.

Nice, do your thing, there are no rules.

3 Likes

:100:

3 Likes

Nice one Growl. Very fancy playing.

1 Like

I don’t know any of those words or that tune but your tone is off the hook great and playing is spot on @Ek_Bass !

Does “Rakkautta ja piikkilankaa” loosely translate to “Tiny Bubbles”? :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

2 Likes

Another great one @g13dip - well done.

2 Likes

Nice to see you again @Growl
Great playing as usual.
Tone a bit muddy for me but overall great.

2 Likes

Agree with @Barney that this sould be in the practice fragments thread, but, that said…

I see a ton of improvement from your last posting @Huth_S0lo
Well done.
As far as timing goes, the general rule is - never ever ever ever play without a drumbeat/metronome/something as a bass player practicing.
I will say you are pretty darn on point for most of this but that beat behind you will keep you honest and keep you improving. We almost always think we have better tempos in our heads than we actually do.

keep it up man, this sounded great!
Some difficult riffs in there.

2 Likes

Thanks mate!
Eh its Squier electronics.

If tone is up highs are too harsh, if it’s rolled down it’s muddy.
That’s why this is happening New 70s Jazz Bass Project

2 Likes

I have a long list of songs to cover and this was not one of them, but I just can’t get it out of my head, nor do I want to. Love this stuff. Worked on it over the 4th, and there were some posts going around about the meaning of it all and whether those of us in the US are proud of our country or not. I’ll say this – if we look to our politicians to be a source of pride we’ll only be disappointed, but I’m proud to live in a place where music like this was born. I hope you enjoy my cover of “I’ll Take You There” by The Staple Singers. It’s the same fine groove over and over, but it actually features a bass solo to break things up.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UiVQRmzsWLs

11 Likes

Great job and tone on this one! Enjoyed it with my morning coffee. :coffee:

1 Like

Thanks Jerry! Honored to be part of your balanced breakfast :slight_smile:

1 Like