Post your covers! (2023)

Yes! Nice editing @Barney. I love your car, lol. You need a mic man. Love the space and the tightness of the notes. Plus your winning attitude is infectious. Great Cover.

2 Likes

Ok inspired by Cory Wong’s Bass player Sunny T and @Growl Savage Garden cover to the Moon which is the first song on the album I like the Cherry Cola song so here we go. This has been one of the most difficult cover I’ve done to date. I have to relearn the muting I choose to leave the mistakes in the song so you can see how minds work when the compass is out of whack, lol.

I want you live by Savage Garden

https://youtu.be/M7Wtjwn12K0

11 Likes

Seriously, it would be nice to write the band and song name. Thanks …

3 Likes

This next cover is a short and sweet soundtrack from Father Of the Bride by a genius Alan Silvestri. It’s definitely my favorite song from the movie beside the collection from the Crooner Steven Tyrell. I love how the song that start off with the bang and mellow off to the end.

Basketball Kiss Father of the Bride Soundtrack by Alan Silvestri

This is the scene

This is done with the upside down left hand stringing Traveler’s Bass. Mad props to players like Sunny T and MonoNeon it has its challenges mainly muting for me at least. I did try left handed but it’s a hot soupy mess, couldn’t get the note to sound right.

https://youtu.be/4JOW0rEo1i0

The next one is with the Mustang bass
https://youtu.be/7zd6kKDETXk

7 Likes

Got it, I thought I included it.

1 Like

Very well done! Great tone as well. Don’t know the song but it sounded awesome.
:+1:

1 Like

Sounds pure good @Barney.
Just damn perfect.

3 Likes

Sounds good @Al1885
Never thought to record with my traveller.
Only, well, travel with it. lol.

3 Likes

Great cover and video production Barney! The year is off to a rip-roaring start as far as covers go.

2 Likes

All three covers beautifully done. I’ve done a few early covers with my Traveler, it does have a decent tone.

2 Likes

I was looking for something that I can flip the string and this was easy enough as the string length are about the same on each respective side and I just had to flop the nut.

1 Like

Thanks @JerryP reversed the string order it was a great learning experience.

1 Like

Very nice covers @Al1885 I don’t ‘need’ another bass but those little Mustangs sure look cool!

3 Likes

The ‘Show us you basses’ thread looks set to be the next one to break the 10,000 barrier.

It would be really cool if the ‘Post your Covers’ thread was third. It would make me a little sad if the GAS thread inched ahead.

Gear is cool, I get it. But actually making music rather than spending all those hours on Reverb etc is maybe where we should be encouraging the community?

It’s only January, so dust off that DAI plug it in, learn to use your DAW and practice a simple song until you’ve got it nailed. Screw GAS guy!

There are lot’s of regulars on this thread who will extol the benefits of recording yourself and are willing to help you get started. You just need a phone with a camera (it’s almost impossible to buy one without a camera I think) and some kind of DAI and you’re pretty much there.

Somebody mentioned in another thread that they were put off because of the difficulty of syncing up the video with the audio. If you can play the slow speed of Billie Jean then you’ve got the skills to do that task. I’m pretty stupid and I’ve worked it out.

Just $60 gets you into the recording game with a reasonably priced DAI

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/UM2usb--behringer-u-phoria-um2-usb-audio-interface

Here’s a thought. Don’t buy another bass until you’ve recorded a song. Any song.

Screen Shot 2021-03-14 at 7.40.06 PM

Cheers Amigos

6 Likes

I said you need a microphone because you’re singing along, lol. It looks like fun it looks like you were singing out loud.

2 Likes

Also, even if video covers are way more fun and entertaining, an audio-only cover is still perfectly acceptable on this thread :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Posting this here as well as the 50 first songs thread. This is officially my first cover. All in all I’d say it went well. Took some time screwing with Moises & Ableton getting everything hooked up and sounding right. Not sure how long this will stay up on youtube for but here’s my audio track for Another Brick in the Wall. Did a video too but had trouble syncing the video with the audio so it’s audio only. Love this song but I had never played it before today. Hope you guys enjoy!

https://youtu.be/fXQGEk9YcJU

13 Likes

Working on it :+1:

Portishead - Glory Box, doesn’t get much simpler than that :wink::smile:

2 Likes

Superb tune :sunglasses:

2 Likes

@Barney You seem to have enjoyed recording this :smile_cat: . Very tasty, sometimes all a bassist needs are long notes.

@Al1885 The heck, are those strings upside down? Galloping can be so hard to play, great stuff!
Is it me or that Mustang is buzzy a bit? Sometimes I think I’d like to get Mustang again, but I didn’t like Jazz nut width on Mustang PJ.

Couldn’t agree more, that gear rabbit hole is too deep. Now I was thinking of getting a five’er…
Also it’s much easier to record with laptop, something like Photobooth on Macbook, and then video edit with iMovie. No need to transfer stuff around.

@Ant Awesome work, keep it up! Btw if you are gonna do audio only stuff maybe Soundcloud is easier option for uploading?

All in all strong start to 2023 with covers, good job everyone, just keep it coming.

4 Likes