Post your covers! (2023)

Thanks @John_E @booker_t @JerryP :slight_smile: A few younger colleagues (20-something years) were actually asking about this track when they saw it (instagram) - we may well have a new generation of Barry White fans :slight_smile:

And thanks for the guide @Barney ! That youtube downloader looks pretty sweet. I usually use a mix of free programmes (moviemaker, icecream etc) - they’re kind of ok but working with them is a pain sometimes…

2 Likes

congrats on your first cover, a great one ! I didn’t knew about this version but I’ve listen to Bumblefoot’s version often in the past. Uncool is an amazing album.

2 Likes

I love Dolly. Great job @JerryP right on the dot!

1 Like

It sounds great with your own notes

1 Like

Yet another great @Barney cover. Great chops man. The chorus sounds awesome. That’s my favorite song.

2 Likes

Great job @brik1970

I like all of the covers. One tip on your left fretting hand, pulse the finger pressure it will kill the sustain make the notes pop. You’d notice your second song during the chorus your notes and finger tone shined through.

2 Likes

@Ed thats masterful. Though I’ve never thought that it would be played on a thunder bass, lol.

2 Likes

@eccentric_professor great job. With the username and avatar I did not expect that but it was definitely a pleasant surprise lol.

1 Like

Thank you, appreciate the feedback. Could you elaborate a bit more on what you mean?

3 Likes

Fantastic @eccentric_professor
Well mixed and great groove.
Never heard it but love this version - very Lynchian.
Added to my music.
Keep ‘em coming.

3 Likes

Thank you very much Al!

2 Likes

When you play a single repeating note like quarter or 8th note it’s a good ideal to press the left finger and then release it at an appropriate value before you plug the next note. When you keep the finger pressure on the note and plug the next note it does not separate the note and could sound like one note.

2 Likes

Got it, thanks.

1 Like

Thanks ! You would be surprised how versatile it can be :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I know I’m almost a week late to this @Barney but this was great! Nice job catching all those subtle slide-ins on the chorus.

One of the coolest thing about working through these covers, to me at least, is getting inside the head of the bassist and think how they come up the line and why it sounds so good.

5 Likes

Another Challange song, this makes my 30th of the 50 (51 with if you count Hysteria).

Both pickups on the Gretsch on full, tone all the way up.

https://youtu.be/IXVauW9cenU

15 Likes

Great job john with one! You nailed the tone! Could not tell the difference from the original.

4 Likes

Nice work. I thought some of your bass notes sounded too staccato, but I went and re listened to the original and that’s what they are like on the record. Funny what you think you remember about a song.

Slightly disappointed you didn’t pretend to smash up the Gretch at the end.

6 Likes

Thanks @Barney

I know exactly which notes you mean because I was playing them much longer then actually looked at the music and went “…oh”. I had no idea either.

5 Likes

Great work John! Couldn’t tell the difference from the original.
:+1:

3 Likes