Post your covers! (2023)

Way to go John, excellent timing and tone. Your right hand is like a machine gun down-picking those triplets! I like that bass a lot too, love the color

3 Likes

I never I thought I’d be a fretless guy, but this Classic Vibe was calling me. It’s pretty humbling at first, but making progress. Thought I would try it on this song first since Jack Bruce bends the notes all over the place, it might cover-up some of my crimes of intonation. As always all comments, critiques, suggestions are welcome. Thanks for listening
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_H-MORu3UHs

9 Likes

Well played! Cracking song! and that Gretsch is gorgeous! :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

Oh great work @dlamson13 - spot on! This was actually one of the first ever songs I learned to play (back in high school in the late 80s) and I have warm memories of trying to play it with a drummer housemate in his bedroom on a cranked-up 25W Laney Linebacker. We later tried to hang around the union bar pretending to be in a band to impress girls. Good times.

Hey that tone is exactly what the song needed @John_E The original was on a P? This definitely kicks more butt.

3 Likes

Very well done @dlamson13! Not much more I can add to that.
:+1:

3 Likes

Thanks @Ed
The original was on a … wait for it … hollow body … at least in the video anyway

4 Likes

Well this worked perfectly @dlamson13 !
I’ve got a similar Squier fretless (with the ebonol fretboard). They are great. You did awesome on this ans for a first fretless go - wow!

4 Likes

Egad! You’re right. Punk on a hollow body eh? :+1:

3 Likes

Thanks @Ed!

Nice, I remember it being one of the earliest recognizable riffs I learned on guitar… Good times :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thanks @JerryP!

1 Like

Thanks @John_E!

Thanks, Oh if you only heard the sounds coming out the thing a few hours earlier. :scream:

It’s really a lovely instrument. So impressed with it and for the price, it was perfect low risk way to try something new.

2 Likes

That’s very inspiring @John_E. Now I want a semi hollow and a pick, lol. Interesting sound using downstroke only.

3 Likes

That’s just awesome @dlamson13 great tone and technique. Love the plugging hand shift, very smooth and effective.

2 Likes

Quite impressive. Everything sounds exactly where it should be, tone, rhythms … love it !

2 Likes

…because I can’t do both ways yet, Lolol. But working on it.

5 Likes

Oh hey man that’s cool, I can’t do it either that’s why it’s so inspirational, :joy:

1 Like

Another 50 Song Challange tune…
This is a very interesting learning experience.

The last song I did, London Calling, I got under my fingers in about 15 minutes, another 30-60 to perfect enough to record. And, it was easily memorized!

This song was really interesting for a couple reasons.

1. BEFORE you listen to it, imagine the bassline in your head, then listen. To me, the actual bassline was nothing like I thought it was, so much for musical memory.
  2. I could not for the life of me memorize this damn thing. even small bits of it. I had to memorize a few end of section riffs so I could look down to play them.
  3. In general, I didn’t have to look at the fretboard (except for those little end riffs). London Calling I had to look at the fretboard with passion! Otherwise I would miss those slides.

Basically, this was the total opposite experience to London Calling.
Which got me thinking…
Why is one song easier to someone than another?
How can this be completely opposite for another person?
If I am a professional bassist, do I create riffs/lines that are easy, to me?
Do pros struggle with other people’s tunes if they are not in their ‘slot’?

I find the whole process of the 50 Song Challange interesting as many are songs I would never pick on my own, but I learn so much from each one!

Anyway…

https://youtu.be/jKEZ6p72Zn0

11 Likes

Another classic beautifully done! Nice one John!
:+1:

2 Likes

Nice work again. You’re a better man than me re the 50 Songs. I guess you like vegetables more than me. I think we learn something from all our covers, even the simpler ones.

4 Likes

As someone who, for the moment, has given up on “I Want You Back,” and seen you "kill it; I think you’ve ate your vegetables in small bites, with a smile on your face.

3 Likes