Post your covers! (2023)

I’ve been working on a different song for a while, but it’s just a little bit beyond me at present. I was becoming a bit frustrated, so I decided to remind myself this should be fun and do something a bit easier. Being able to play along with this, is nothing but pure joy and I’m forever grateful for being steered in the right direction from the start by the Beginner to Badass course.

I thought on the weekend, have we had a cover in the BassBuzz forum with the word Buzz in it? No?

This was originally a Doo Wop song released in 1957 by The Hollywood Flames. This version comes from the 1982 Album ‘Picture This’.

Huey Lewis and the News - Buzz Buzz Buzz

I started playing Bass in Nov 2020. Moises.ai app to remove the original bass line by Mario Cipollina and overdub mine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2-NRXg-BC0

HX Stomp
Comp - Line 6 Original Deluxe Compressor
Pre Amp - Mic Requisite Y7 mic preamp
Amp - Fender Bassman
Modulation - Retro Reel
Delay - Simple Delay (Line6)
MIM Fender P Bass
GHS Precision Flats
DAI - Focusrite Scarlett Solo

13 Likes

I had totally forgotten this super, fun song exists, thanks for the reminder.

You kicked it’s ass @Barney
Great job.

2 Likes

Never heard this but excellent work on it. Great job Barney!
:+1:

1 Like

Wow, I don’t remember that song at all, but you killed it!

2 Likes

Slowed right down tonight :slightly_smiling_face:
(Still managed to make blatantly obvious mistakes :rofl:)

As soon as I seen this, just HAD to play it!
Absolutely love Hope Sandoval’s voice :heart_eyes:

Moises.ai app to remove the original bass line, no effects necessary :slightly_smiling_face:
Yamaha TRBX 504, neck pickup, tone just over halfway
DAI - SSL 2

Mazzy Star - Look On Down From The Bridge
https://audio.jukehost.co.uk/dyoufcDPX4NBYUHiQyttpgYHRrmnGnJM

Enjoy… :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Sounding pretty good @DeadPixels (less the couple blips).
Have you tried punching in and out in your DAW to fix these minor mistakes? It’s easy and kinda fun too. Makes you feel like a real audio engineer, lol.

Couple notes felt out of tune too but couldn’t find a repeatable place to aid you.

Otherwise, great tune and vibe. Nice tone.

2 Likes

Not sure what you mean? Still pretty new to the DAW n all that :joy:

But yeah, I think I know where you mean, there’s a parts didn’t feel right, never once transcribed though, no idea how to figure out what they should be, haven’t got that far yet :joy:
SO good though! :slightly_smiling_face:
More chill vibes on the way :laughing:

1 Like

Look up on you tube whatever DAW you have and “punch in punch out”. It allows you to isolate portions of a recording. And then only record over that portion.

1 Like

Nice. They were so underrated.

3 Likes

Yeah. Fundamental to DAWs, you can record multiple takes for any segment of a song and switch between them.

Or if you want simplicity you can just do multiple tracks and cut and paste too, it’s an editor after all.

1 Like

Ahh, something to look into.
Good to keep the imperfections to look back on too though :slightly_smiling_face:
(although not to subject others to I guess :joy:)

1 Like

Funky !! Superbement réalisé. And your tone is parfait for this song :star_struck:

2 Likes

Very nicely done @DeadPixels !

1 Like

Morcheeba - Enjoy The Ride

https://audio.jukehost.co.uk/xcTHauqyYVNktLBY8Is6y37vqzCgdIvW

Just because :smile:

2 Likes

Quick one on the Bass VI - Rocky Raccoon
The Bass VI was played by John Lennon on this one, who, was a bit out of tune - you can here some of his original seep in here and there as it did not get removed perfectly.
It’s a very easy bassline, tricky due to the string spacing vs. a bass but still learned it in half a day.
Takes a while for the bass to come in, enjoy the montage of White Album footage.

Squier Bass VI (modified)
Neck/Middle pickups
Tone off
Origin Effects Bass Rig Black Panel (Fat setting)

12 Likes

Good job on a nice Beatles song, @John_E . Great editing job as well!

3 Likes

As you well know @John_E I’ve no real love for The Beatles however as usual I stayed to the end for the lovely bass playing. That BassRig '64 pedal sounds just fabulous. I am so very tempted to get one.

You and @JerryP can keep cranking out The Beatles tunes and I’ll keep on watching them. Much like a proud parent! Oh how far we’ve come :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Great job John! I didn’t know the Bass VI was used on this tune.

2 Likes

Yep, not many at all though, the for sure ones are:
Long and Winding Road
Rocky Raccoon
Back In The USSR (the next one I will tackle on it at some point)
Dig It (but chords are played)

There are a couple of ones folks are on the fence about:
Let It Be
Honey Pie
Helter Skelter

2 Likes

It is worth every penny (and it’s a lot of pennies).
I would imagine the SVT version is just as good, but I have the VT Bass DI and very happy with it…for now…lol.

4 Likes