Post your covers! (2023)

I love that the new topic is already 10% full.

3 Likes

Nice work @groaner my crappy hearing would have preferred the bass a little higher in the mix but that’s just me. It’s probably perfect for everyone else.

Oh and stay hydrated :wink:

3 Likes

Thanks @Barney !

I had it louder and reduced it to be more around where I thought it was in the song.

Maybe I was just hypersensitive about it.

3 Likes

A little something from the recent hit parade (Jan 2023) for all you old folks (myself included) who think current music has gone to the dogs (It hasn’t). Seven weeks at number 1 with over 185 million streams in the first few weeks. A modern pop song with a really great bass line.

I’m really happy with this one. I injured my hand in work, so I had to learn this using just my index finger for plucking. I channeled my inner Jamerson and gave it a go :slight_smile:

I started playing Bass in Nov 2020. Moises.ai app to remove the original bass line by Kid Harpoon and overdub mine.

Miley Cyrus - Flowers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmB630vIfZc

HX Stomp
Comp - Line 6 Original Deluxe Compressor
Pre Amp - Mic Requisite Y7 mic preamp
Amp - Ampeg SVT-4 Pro
Delay - Simple Delay (Line6)
Modulation - Retro Reel
Filter - Musitronics® Mu-Tron® III
MIM Fender Jazz Bass
GHS Precision Flats
DAI - Focusrite Scarlett Solo

18 Likes

Agreed. More good music being made now than ever IMO.

Neat complex bassline and you nailed it. Nice cover. But you know what kind of bass might have been even better for this one? :rofl:

2 Likes

E8EEDC3E-F1BB-46A8-AED1-7922FAD58576_4_5005_c

6 Likes

Heck Yeah @Barney !

Really enjoyed that one. Miley has such a unique voice! Bass line is a major groove as well. I need to study up on that song! Thanks for sharing!

2 Likes

Great job Marc! I didn’t hear any mistakes, so I didn’t notice.
:+1:

1 Like

Excellent work Barney, especially being injured! Enjoyed the song.
:+1:

1 Like

Great job! I’d been practicing this one last couple months. Not ready for prime time yet.

2 Likes

Thanks everyone. Yeah @groaner even if you’re not getting all the slides and the octave fills it’s still a great song play to along to and work on your timing / groove.

Everyone else. Get off Reverb and learn some songs lol :wink:

3 Likes

I’m close. I listened to the song a few dozen times! Went to a Karaoke night and made a fool of myself singing it in a raspy low baritone voice. Was awful and fun!

2 Likes

I have now been playing bass for three years! It has been such a fun journey. When I started playing I honestly didn’t think I would get to where I am today. I am learning probably 75% of songs by ear now, which is something I never thought I’d ever be able to do. If CoverSolutions has a video on how to play a song I want to learn I usually just use that, but most other songs are learned by ear.

This video is the first song I ever recored on the bass, March 18, 2020, on my $90 Glarry from Amazon. I’m glad I have this as a reference, it’s nice to see and hear how far I’ve come.
(this one does not need to be added to the official list, thanks @terb )

This is the last song I learned. Definitely the most complex song I’ve learned by ear. I’m pretty proud of how it turned out. I was happy to get it in one take with minor issues.
Bass has become a very important part of my life. Hopefully someday I will find a band I can jam with that lives close by.

AFI - Far Too Near

14 Likes

A cover of I Am Machine by Three Days Grace
A mild hiccup midway through but shhhh
Tabs by me
(I love this bass so much🫠)
https://youtu.be/INy5oW5GGAU

10 Likes

IMG_1152
I was heading to the dog park (that’s right, some of of us in Southern California don’t have yards) when I saw that: 1) @Paul_9207 had not been kidnapped, and 2) that he posted a new video. Life is good.

6 Likes

Yep, present and accounted for. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Really well played, you’re definitely ahead of me at this point in actual physical skill playing.

I would say the bass is mixed way too high in this one though. It’s also possible that too much of the mids and lows has been ripped out of the backing track, but the bass is utterly dominating this one and even the kick is dwarfed.

2 Likes

Yeah, I usually have the bass very high in the mix. I know everyone has their preference/opinion on where the bass should sit in a bass cover. I prefer to have the bass high in the mix in a bass cover. When I look up a bass cover on YouTube or wherever I like to hear the bass, it helps when learning the song. If I were in a band or doing a full cover I would hopefully mix the bass more appropriately. Anyway, that’s just me.

5 Likes

That’s really cool basslineon that track. Well done! You also nailed the sound as far I can tell.

Progress is very noticeable! And difference in sound is huge. Good job!

Metal af! Hiccups are normal, just keep it up.

4 Likes

Now this is why I got fiver. Invoke my inner Nathan East from wish.com!

Bass cover of one of my all time favorites Instant Crush by Daft Punk.
Sorry for occasional fret buzz, my fingers still getting adjusted to five stringer.
Also made a boo boo while recording, didn’t turn on my Instrument input switch on audio interface, good thing Yammy is active, so I got at least some usable signal.

Gear used:

• Yamaha BBG5S '94
  • Universal Audio Volt 1
  • Amplitube 5
  • Lalal.ai for removal of original bass

Amp sim:

• SVX-500
  • 2x10 SVX-500
  • 1x15 '53 Bassman
  • Fender Compressor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NX7mmsQaNrQ

15 Likes