Post your covers! (2023)

I would a need a bottle of Motrin for my fingers after playing that. Excellent playing!

2 Likes

Got my fretless itch, lol. I transcribed this song a few weeks ago and I just love the bass line. @dlamson13 just put a spark on the fretless so I just messed around with it. Surprisingly, after a few weeks of not touching this song the muscle memory just kicked in and the 16th are not too bad.

Song
Forgiveness by Phoebe Katis

Bass
Fender American Deluxe Precision, P/JJ with the Prototype EMG PVX and JVX as well as Preamps.

It’s a short one, so enjoy!

13 Likes

What lovely expression on this, you make that fretless sing. I’m taking some notes :slight_smile: I notice you mix in both up/down and side to side vibrato.

Thanks Al! I’m plucking with 2 fingers, the 3rd one just comes along for the ride. It took a long time to get it up to speed.

3 Likes

Thanks Jerry!

Haha, I hear you, while working on it I would end all my practice sessions with that part, because I was pretty useless afterwards.

1 Like

Thanks @dlamson13, I’m still learning that song and trying to get the notes under my fingers, I skipped a bar of 16th. When I slowed it down, I really love how it could be so sweet but the song really calls for a staccato style, and I’m not gonna be the one ruining it, lol. It’s also tough to do the harmonic slide at the time given to me, ha ha.

2 Likes

Ok after @Barney made a call to arms I have responded…yes that was 20 days ago so not exactly speedy :smile: but I finally just decided to record a song I can play rather than try to learn something new and impressive and get everything right

So here is one of the first songs I learned
Pennywise - Bro Hymn (1991 version)

Disclaimers etc.:

• Look out for flying fingers!
  • I didn’t have anywhere decent to film (this is the best I got, will try to get my face in next time)
  • I used Moises (for the first time) to remove original bass --except the intro has the original bass for the first riff of intro as I didn’t set up an accurate count-in to record from, so I just come in after first riff.
    The tape wounds are not suited to the intro really anyway (would need extra effect(s) on the bass to add some presence which I didn’t want to waste time on), but I like how they work in the main song mix

Recording gear: Vintage (brand) VJ74 ash bass into Behringer umc404hd audio interface to Logic DAW. A few plugins on the bass and the mix

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WoJtp7wcwG0
Pennywise - Bro Hymn

13 Likes

Nice! Gotta love the Bro Hymn!

3 Likes

First rule of Cover Club is: Don’t start by bashing yourself and telling everyone why your cover isn’t great.
The reason for this rule is: You are generally wrong!

You did great. Amazing picking.
Right on groove.
Sounded awesome.

Tip for not needing a count in for songs like this:
When you remove the bass, bring the bassline track into your DAW anyway, move everything over to the right giving you some space (time) at the beginning of the song and zoom in to where you can see the first bite passing by in the screen at a reasonable speed. Hit record, watch waveform and start. You can remove the space when done.

Great job @g13dip

4 Likes

Beautiful kitty. Is it a seal point?

2 Likes

Great job g13dip! Great timing and groove.

1 Like

That’s a fun one. Great job. Your flying pinky is not a problem at all, if you are too conscious about it stick a slide on it, it would look so cool. Lol. My only advice is to relax your picking hand. We have to try hard not to try hard.

Is that a Siamese cat?

2 Likes

Thanks for the comments everyone…

@bob.oconnor1 @Al1885 Jelly is a tonkinese cat with a champagne mink coat (if I remember right)

@John_E I had to put the disclaimers otherwise I would never have posted!
This way I can look at it as me ‘having a go’ rather than ‘look how good I am’, and so I can post something that is not perfect and feel ok…also thanks for the recording tip, though I can assure you it was laziness :smile: (or perhaps a burning desire to record) rather than knowledge that stopped me setting up a count-in…it was basically one more little thing stopping me recording so I just skipped it

3 Likes

I think I have posted around 40 covers on this thread and none of them have been perfect, but I’m sure I’ve fooled a few people. But, with each video I post I learn a lot because of the mistakes. Some of the videos I’m dripping with sweat because I was so nervous and now I only sweat a little bit. I promise you though, the more covers you post, the faster you will see improvement.

6 Likes

Been practicing like crazy, and finally think I have the timing correct. Took this video unamplified because I didnt want to piss off the missus. But the CT sounds amazing anyways :slight_smile:

7 Likes

[Digimon 02 - Wir drehen auf - Bass Cover with Tabs - YouTube]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9EZwunpchBU

This is my first serious Bass Cover with Sheet music arranged by me. :heart_eyes: :heart_on_fire: :yum:
This song and all Anime Classics are part of my childhood I started to learn Bass for five months ago. I wanna cover all the German Anime Classics songs someday. :yum:
Glad to read from you. :love_you_gesture: :guitar: :heart:
Thank you so much for this positive Forum and thank you @JoshFossgreen for being my Bass Teacher. Playing Bass has brought life back to me in a time when I was almost dead in my soul. Thank you! :heart:

All the Bass
DLiqacy

14 Likes

@DLiqacy
That’s some great commitment : bass cover + video tab sheet overlay : nice ! thanks !
I’m an anime fan too (but was a bit too old already in order to appreciate anything Poke[digi]mon related things), but I do appreciate a whole lot of anime songs, so always a pleasure to see some covered here. Nice work ^^

4 Likes

@mediaklan thank you very much :hugs:
Which Anime Series did you grow up with? Yea I’m from the late 90s generation of Pokemon, Digimon, Detective Conan, and so on. That was the time I was running back home from school just not to miss the next episodes. Ahh, those memories when we had nothing to worry except if the next pokemon battle is won :relaxed:.

If you can recommend me an anime song not yet covered, leave me a note. :hugs::hugs::hugs:

Best wishes from Berlin

2 Likes

Great job @DLiqacy the chorus and the solo were just crazy good. Kudos on the on screen tab too it’s really cool

2 Likes

Two weeks in a row! Another fun song to play.

Angels & Airwaves - Everything’s Magic
https://youtu.be/Xnmonev8boQ
Original bass reduced to like 15% with Moises. Recorded with an M-audio air 192|8 interface. Used my favorite bass, Squier CV 70’s P.
Been playing since March 2020

13 Likes

You’ve really killed it since then. Well done as always.

My only comments would be around the mix and EQ; playing was spot on. I know you’re mixing the bass louder on purpose so I will hold off :slight_smile:

3 Likes