Post your covers! (2023)

Heard this recently and looked up how to play a couple of days ago, a fun song
The Stooges - I wanna be your dog

I have been playing for 9 months now…Fender P Bass (DI + mic) into Behringer umc404hd audio interface into Logic DAW
Original Bass was removed with Moises.ai
edited in iMovie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJMafu2npBg
The Stooges - I want to be your dog

12 Likes

Nice song and nice cover ! Funny how you seem to pick from the bottom

3 Likes

thanks @terb…yep I am an up-picker alright…very uplifting rather than downpicking where you are slowly driving yourself into the ground…I see those poor downpickers on stage with their legs getting wider and wider to try to keep themselves upright…so sad :wink:

3 Likes

:joy:

1 Like

I was just thinking that too! We just had a new roller rink open in Ottawa and I’m seriously considering trying it out. Have not skated since '82!
I should probably get some wrist braces though. Too many friends I know trying out skate boarding in their later eyars and fracturing writs and hands.

Oh ya, Barney, Great tune!

2 Likes

… argh I will need a month to keep track (ha !) of all the covers I missed recently. I need to step up and come up with one of my own too. So much to do.
Anyway, very nice cover @Al1885 , that was sweet and relax allright. Just what I needed at the moment.
Thanks for the nice song and the florilege of basses along the video.

2 Likes

Thanks @mediaklan

1 Like

Guess whos back?

Great stuff guys.

This one got removed :crying_cat_face:

Oh :rofl:
This groove is so chill, love it.

When the heck Leland joined?

Oh mate, you improved so much from the last time I heard you! Great work!

Oldie but goldie! Always fun one to play.

Another chill track! Love it. Btw that Wick sounds wicked.

TF is this madness!? Such insanity. Impossible not to headbang.

Awesome!

2 Likes

Haven’t done one in a while.
Last few months I barely had time to pick up the bass.
Gotta take rust outta fingers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZ_VBiLeYbI

Bass cover of the track Zaz - Je Veux.

Gear used:

• Squier Classic Vibe 70s Jazz Bass
  • Universal Audio Volt 1
  • Amplitube 5
  • Lalal.ai for removal of original bass

Amp sim:

• SVX-500
  • 2x10 SVX-500
  • 1x15 OBC 115
  • Fender Compressor

And this damn Mac camera is pissing me off, usually video is crap, but when it’s raining and lightning is worse, it’s even bigger crap.

Btw bought this bass again. If some of you remember I had black one and I regretted selling it. However I have big plans for this one, only parts that will remain of it is body and maybe pickguard. And still will be less $$ than Vintera :rofl:

9 Likes

nice work @Growl …looked like a steady workout for your freddy and ham

1 Like

Would love to get some feedback. I know the timing is imperfect. And I struck the wrong note on one spot. But I like to keep it real, so this was my first take.

Would be very curious to know how long you think I’ve been playing for, after hearing this.

7 Likes

Hi @Huth_S0lo thanks for posting your progress.

A. This is the ‘Post Your Covers’ thread where punters normally post completed covers of songs that contain the bass (them playing) over the top of the original vocals, drums etc.
We have a separate thread called practice fragments where this would sit much better.

B. I think it’s OK to do multiple takes until you’re happy with the result. It’s what they do in studios.
C. Don’t know but it doesn’t matter how long you’ve been playing as long as you’re having fun.

Cheers

5 Likes

I wouldn’t even consider trying to record things in one take. What an odd concept. I mean if it happens, cool, but it is pretty alien to most recording workflows.

I usually record each part of the song separately, and also retake parts of those several times.

It’s the end result that matters, this isn’t some kind of purity contest.

:+1:

3 Likes

My take on this, and I understand it is just my take and we all have our own goals…

If I can’t play it in one take, I can’t play the song. I guess I view it more like “live” than like “studio”. I understand that they don’t play it in a single take when recording an album/song - their goal is perfection, and studio time is money, so it’s more efficient to complete things in pieces and “paste” them together.

My goal is to be able to play a song from start to finish. If the song starts, and I can’t keep up until the end, then I can’t play it. If I’m on stage* and we’re playing something, I can’t punch in and punch out or do retakes.

But, obviously, that’s just my view… However anyone chooses to achieve their satisfaction from this bass journey is good for them… Guess I just wanted to comment on the “one take” mentality. Maybe I shouldn’t drink and post. :rofl:

• hypothetical - will never happen
3 Likes

It would matter to me more if I ever wanted to play live again, sure. But that’s really, really unlikely.

2 Likes

Classic! Great job @g13dip.

Nice, do your thing, there are no rules.

3 Likes

:100:

3 Likes

Nice one Growl. Very fancy playing.

1 Like

I don’t know any of those words or that tune but your tone is off the hook great and playing is spot on @Ek_Bass !

Does “Rakkautta ja piikkilankaa” loosely translate to “Tiny Bubbles”? :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

2 Likes

Another great one @g13dip - well done.

2 Likes