Post your covers! (2024)

… and this time again I’ve just had a comment of the artist, about my last cover
:v::grin:

17 Likes

Dude, that’s f*ing awesome!!

5 Likes

That’s at least the 4th time it happens :grin: (obviously from relatively small bands)

6 Likes

That’s awesome!! That’s the highest compliment one can receive when the actual artist can take the time to show their appreciation!

3 Likes

Actually I verified and it’s the 6th time : Artist’s comment | BASS COVERS ON THE COUCH (the comments can be seen for each cover by clicking on its title).

Yeah that’s very rewarding. Obviously it can work only with small bands and recent releases. That’s not what I’m searching for when I record a cover, but it’s still very rewarding indeed.

6 Likes

Mayer Hawthorne - The Pool

As I mentioned before, I’ve been wanting to do a deep dive on some songs by this artist. I absolutely love his sound and the Motown feel is real here. Anyways, this is the first single off of his new album and it’s a pretty easy bass line. It’s still quite fun to play nonetheless!

I had to learn this one by ear but I did have some help. I went to one of his concerts lately and filmed a TON of footage of the bass player, Allee Futterer.

Allee used a Fender Vintera Mustang with a foam mute so I went with my JMJ Bass + foam mute. I noted in the video review that I played a lot closer to the bridge than I normally do. This mustang is just kinda weird for thumb placement.

Using the footage from the show in Atlanta plus some footage from a studio performance in California, I was able to figure out most of the song that way. Moises helped isolate the track to learn it even better. Even with all that, there is one transitional bit I’m still not certain on. Overall, I think it sounds good and fits the vibe.

Anyways, let’s head to the pool! :man_swimming:

17 Likes

Nicely done Scott! Nice song.

1 Like

well done! sounds great

2 Likes

Thanks Jerry!

Heck yeah, thanks Paul!

1 Like

That was excellent.

2 Likes

Rage Against the Machine - Killing in the name Drop D tuning

14 Likes

This cover is in memory of a friend of mine that we sadly said good bye to today.

Duran Duran - Do You Believe In Shame (Live Version)

I don’t think I ever can,
believe my friend is gone,
Keep saying it’s all right,
I’m gonna bring you back
But I know I’m wrong.

For Ian.

15 Likes

good one cheese…a really nice vibe in that song and your playing :+1:

2 Likes

sorry for your loss @sunDOG

2 Likes

For the songs I really want to learn in the long term, I couldn’t avoid learning scales forever. This was so hard to get clean during the mini bass solo and going up the neck but I think it turned out pretty well!

Dance Gavin Dance - Strawberry Swisher, Pt. 2

14 Likes

Well done. I’m starting to try to play up and down the neck a bit more now too. It’s fun bouncing around hitting notes. Good finger work. Also, good tone.

2 Likes

Mark at Talking Bass has some exercises on his YT channel to help with horizontal movement across the fretboard. I’ve been doing those as part of my 10 minute warm up (it’s become 15 minutes) before I really start to play.

2 Likes

BONNIE TYLER - TOTAL ECLIPSE OF THE HEART https://youtu.be/7DdR-HdJiQc?si=uqoCEnaRydVHdh0f. So I had all intentions to do this cover since we had the eclipse this past week, and I did, but I do however need to apologize about the sound. Every week it’s hit or miss with what I have to work with currently. Anyway, my contribution to the thread for this week. Hope you enjoy and thanks for watching.

9 Likes

I like his videos too. I can’t remember if it’s him or another guy but I wrote down one of their exercises and I incorporate it into a pre-routine too. I’m a beginner so it’s a low bar but it’s paying dividends for me. I’ve seen consistent progress since I’ve started. You can’t have any bass pudding until you eat your bass meat, son. Ha ha.

2 Likes

Here’s my take on SRV Crossfire.
This song is an exercise in repetition! Holy man! That little phrase in the middle, that was my downfall. I played it over and over before recording and still messed it up. I hope you enjoy and I look forward to your input!

9 Likes