Post your covers! (2024)

You could totally play the iconic synth part of the song on bass, get some nice distortion going and go to town.

The melody you’d want a guitar (or, you know, a synth player - we only bite if asked nicely :slight_smile: )

1 Like

Just played a show with School of Rock last night! This was our cover of 99 Luftballons by Nena. It’s a really fun song to play on bass.

8 Likes

Making up for lost time, here’s #3 from the 50 Songs Challenge

Gnarls Barkley - Crazy

13 Likes

Awesome, dude. Great job. Now that I’m playing bass my only suggestion would be to move your bandmates a little to the left and a little to the right and maybe make a nice little spot for yourself right in the middle and a little more to the front (or all the way up front; up to you). Ha ha. Just playin’. Well done to all you guys.

3 Likes

Thank you! I tried to tell them to move, but they didn’t listen. Typical singers :wink:

2 Likes

Oh nice, love it👌

2 Likes

Excellent work on this one man! Very stoic look on your face, but I think we all can understand that focus face when trying to record a great cover video. :no_mouth: I enjoyed the tone and vibe very much! Looking forward to your next entry.

3 Likes

We interrupt the regularly scheduled Mayer Hawthorne covers to bring in a classic that I just discovered and had been on repeat for days!!

Delegation - Oh Honey

It’s a simple riff here but it’s a long song so one needs to stay focused! There is also this interesting wah/filter effect in certain places. I wasn’t sure how to handle that when I started recording…

Ultimately, I ended up double tracking only those bits with my bass going into a wah pedal and expressing it manually. I think it turned out nice. Additionally, I went with 50% tone here to bring out that extra high end. Also added a bit of a 100Hz bump post-EQ to add some extra wub-factor.

I gotta thank the YT algo for pushing this song my way as well as a handful of great Bobby Caldwell tunes that I had yet to be exposed to. I have a bunch of other soul tunes to look at when I finish up this Mayer album.

Anyways, that’s enough banter for now, hope you enjoy!

10 Likes

awesome tone @cheeze_pizza ! how do you mic your cab ?

2 Likes

Awesome Scott!

1 Like

First off, I won’t say I have much knowledge in this area. I’ve been kinda winging it…

I’m using a Lauten LA220 mic into a Volt 276. As for the mic placement, the microphone shock absorber is right against the grille cloth. This puts the mic a couple inches from the cloth I believe. It’s also on a 45 degree angle to the ground, I’m not sure if/how that effects the tone. I’d say the mic is a bit closer to the cone versus the speaker edge.

I thought I had a good picture of this but it’s pulled out kinda far…so not so sure that’s helpful. When I get home tonight, I can get some better photos and can share them. I’m curious as well! :smiley:

3 Likes

Once again I was foolish enough to take some time of the forum and work, now I need at least a day or two just to listen to music and read all your wise words. :slight_smile: Hehe, I have updated the 2024 Youtube list. So thats something.:slight_smile:
I have also finished one more song on the 50 song challenge, not perfect, but good enough to move on I think. Posted here also to get on the list. :slight_smile:
Earth, Wind, & Fire - September

7 Likes

Nicely done JohnnyB!

1 Like

Here’s an oldie, one of my favorites. Please excuse the quality of the video. I have limited resources when I’m on the road.

Booker T & The MG’s - Green Onions

Ibanez SR400
M-Audio M-Track Solo DAI
Reaper DAW using Reaper’s plugins (Comp, Delay and Reverb)

Enjoy and thanks for watching.

19 Likes

Great work @JerryP!

1 Like

Loved Radiohead since I was in high-school! Colin Greenwood is a great bassist. He has the chops to bring some flash at the right moments, but he really serves the song well.

Great video, btw! Never saw a deep dive on that song.

3 Likes

Thank you Johnnyb!

1 Like

Noicccce bro

2 Likes

Hey thanks @cheeze_pizza ! Yeah, I thought that I could have smiled a bit more after watching it. Not sure why that was the case for this one. In general I memorize these songs so I’m not reading, and I’m not sure what to look at. Staring down the camera just seems creepy, LOL.

3 Likes

I feel you there. I find it hard to get movin’ and a groovin’ when I making a cover…sometimes I get there and other times I don’t. My last cover was mostly like that as well.

2 Likes