Post your covers! (2024)

Never heard the song, but another great cover! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Excellent Johnny! Nailed the timing and I like the bass tone, really cuts through.

5 Likes

Thanks @Ed!

The funny thing with the slides, was I wasted so much time trying to hit the exact notes Flea does on the descending part. Then I realized as long as I matched his rhythm it sounded fine no matter how I slid down the neck.

Nicely done, what a happy song :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Thanks mediaklan! Well my thumb sure agrees with you, might have to rest it for a few days.

3 Likes

Thanks Jerry!

I struggled to get any intelligible slap sounds for a long time. Josh’s tips and consistency helped a lot. It is a fun technique, but doesn’t feature much in a lot of what I play considering the time I put into it lol.

3 Likes

I like it a lot more and sounds damn close to the original.
Well done!

3 Likes

Sounding really really nice and hippy-esque @Ed

I did seem to hear a few ‘sour’ notes here and there and couldn’t tell if it’s an intonation issue on a string or two up higher on the neck (intonation issues seem to appear worse up the neck) or if it is just a missed fret or missed fret. Might be missed frets as it seemed to fix itself on the back half.

Tone was spot on for this one too, well done!

3 Likes

Thank you @dlamson13 , so nice to hear that you liked it. I had to work at it for a few hours before I got it right. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Very well done Ed! the Hofner sounds great!

2 Likes

Finally a quick cover to test out the work apartment setup, first of the year.
As many of you know I have been struggling with some (still unresolved) right hand issues, but am finding picking doesn’t seem to aggrivate them anywhere close to what plucking does.

So here is a quick little diddy from our good friend Poppy - Her, off her Flux album.

Quick - yes.
Easy - pretty much, but a really fun and good way to work on picking. I am using it to also work on up/down picking but went with just downstrokes for the cover.

Finally got to invoke the Hipshot bass extender as well as this is in drop D tuning.
The bass in the original is really deep in the mix and hard to hear, so I bumped it up and gave it some nice grit as well.

Fender Aerodyne w/ Fralin Pickups
Both pickups 100%, tone 100% up
Amepg SGT-DI STV/810
Waves CLA-76 & 3A compressors in Abelton

18 Likes

Sounds great brother. Never heard this song before but you killed it!!

5 Likes

Thanks man!

3 Likes

Great job man! Never seen that style hofner before. Looks cool!

3 Likes

hey @iamck74 - says video is not available, FYI

2 Likes

Yeah I just seen I got nailed for copyright.

2 Likes

Great tone and mix, John! It looked like the picking didn’t bother you at all.

3 Likes

Loved this John! The bass forward mix and tone you dialed up really complement the song. It’s great to see you back here!

3 Likes

That’s cool ! and what’s crazy is that I was thinking about recording a Poppy cover, like one hour ago. (but not the same song)

Also nice bass tone !

4 Likes

Thanks @howard ! We don’t really hear it much over here in PL but the radio stations here are mad on Depeche mode and Sugar baby love by the Rubettes. Weird.

Had to check it out - very 90s!

Thank @Johnnyb It just popped into my feed the other day and got stuck in my head :slight_smile:

It is, @dlamson13 , it is :slight_smile:

Thanks @John_E :slight_smile: . There were few fluffs… I originally worked with on a transcription from Ultimate Guitar but the tab was based around the open G and the first position, which I didn’t think sounded so great, I moved it down a string (and up the neck a bit) but I ended up getting a bit confused…

Still, I can write it off as a Jazz cover :slight_smile:

Thanks @JerryP . I’m really warming to the Hofner - especially for noodling :slight_smile:

Hah ! Thanks @TheMadBassist - if you like 60s pop music you’ll love the Monkees :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Great job @John_E - good to see you back in the game,!

Your mix works better IMO - I took a quick look at the original and this definitely feels fuller :slight_smile:

3 Likes