Post your covers! (2024)

@sunDOG & @TheMadBassist - cool to see that Trent Raznor got some love! Truly enjoyed the covers.

4 Likes

I like the slides into the chorus (?). And nice, clean playing with the pick. :+1: I think you had the muting down on that track.

Thanks for the cover!

Cheers,
Antonio

3 Likes

Good job, like others said, for 6 months that’s very clean. :+1:

Cheers,
Antonio

3 Likes

great job John! I’m happy to see you playing.

3 Likes

Good song and great cover. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Strange, my comment about not hearing the song was directed at John E haha :joy: not sure how that got mixed up :man_shrugging: but yes sir I’m very familiar with The monkees.

4 Likes

Yes sir I love some NIN!!

3 Likes

Thompson Twins - Hold Me Now (1984) bass cover

11 Likes

Wow. SO many great covers, can’t name you all but a couple that I really enjoyed from @Ed & @Barney…even got one from @terb :smiling_face_with_tear:

I’ve been so busy lately… wish I had more time for bass. Wife & I got back from a week in London last week and I’ve spent the last handful of days with a miserable head cold. I’ve really been struggling with this song because it shouldn’t be as hard to play as it is. The riffs are simple but the timing is really tough along with the note lengths, just overall a big struggle for me.

When I first heard this song I was immediately like “I’ve heard this before…” and it took me a minute but it sounds very much like Taxman by the Beatles (speaking of which I should do that song next since I’ve basically already learned it). I also struggled mightily with the tone in this one, would love to know what they did to get that sound because I really enjoy it…so if this sounds a bit funky just know I’ve listened to/played this so many times I can no longer discern what it even sounds like :rofl:

The Jam - Start!
(not my finest camerawork but I am not recording this again lol)

16 Likes

great one @Ant !

4 Likes

I honestly forgot that I was listening to a cover, this was fantastic @Ant

7 Likes

that was great!

3 Likes

It’s Valentine’s Day, so what better than a song about heartache and loss? :wink:

This is a bass cover of the beautiful Soft Cell song, Where Did Our Love Go.

I have been working through a number of Soft Cell songs recently (yes, there are more covers to come :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:). While simple in structure, it has reminded me just how good they were / are. You can be show-off complicated or simple, a lot of their material is simple, but very effective.

Once again I’m playing the Dingwall Combustion - I just can’t get enough of this bass - on the neck pick up, into a Scarlett Solo, then on into GarageBand. I added compression to the bass to even things out.

Soft Cell - Where Did Our Love Go

7 Likes

Hey that practice time really paid off :slight_smile: - great job

Yeah I’m wondering how many songs the Jam ‘borrowed’ - a Town like Malice also sounds very like a Motown track…

4 Likes

Awesome covers all @Justin3 , @Ant and @sunDOG !

4 Likes

Good job! I think you really got into the groove later in the song - did you warm up beforehand? I often have sticky fingers at the start of a session, so maybe I’m focusing on this too much. :hugs:

4 Likes

I played this song through a couple of times before trying to record it. I think I then messed up the first two goes at recording, so started again. What is it about turning the camera on and then making mistakes?!

I would also add that I started this at 5:30 in the morning … insomnia! Luckily, it isn’t a complicated piece!!

Sticky fingers - what you don’t see is me wiping my fingers on my trousers before the start - that bit was edited out :rofl:

5 Likes

And almost exactly like Iggy Pop’s Lust for Life, which was released five years prior.

4 Likes

Ha! I hear that! I’ll have a song “ready” and can play it forwards and backwards, then hit record and next thing you know I’m 10 takes in and frustrated, LOL!

5 Likes

Ahh awesome, another classic, and their other top notch cover. I love the 12" single mix of this and Tainted Love together, like them covering two other bands in one big song and making it their own. A lot of people never even knew they were covers.

3 Likes