Post your covers! (2024)

Great playing, @cheeze_pizza!

2 Likes

Not so much a bass cover, more, adding a bass line to a song.

In 2002, Johnny Cash covered the Nine Inch Nails song, Hurt, for the final album released in his lifetime, American IV: The Man Comes Around.

Johnny Cash - Hurt

I remember the first time I heard it, the time, the place, and the emotions that it evoked. I was stunned.

The song does not have a bass line. I hope that it is not sacrilege to add one.

I’ve kept it simple and focused on tone. The bass line was played on a Hagstrom Viking semi-acoustic bass, straight into GarageBand, via a Scarlett Solo, three times. Other than panning left, right and straight down the middle, I’ve added no effects or EQ. What you hear is what I played.

Sadly, my daughter wasn’t available for the video shoot - she was in bed! So I sat in the dark and just played.

9 Likes

I hope too, because I’ve done that dozens of time :v::grin: Also it’s cool to make a cover of a cover : a coverception. I’ve done that too.

4 Likes

Well done sunDOG! Nothing wrong with adding a bass line to a song.

1 Like

Fantastic!
You need to up your daughter’s rate, video is fantastic!

2 Likes

Nice job @Diego317.
I didn’ think to use an envelope, I used a bass synth patch on the Source Audio C4.
Here is mine for comparison:

Bass a bit high in the mix but I think the tone you got works great.
There are a couple note’s you played staccato that originally are a bit longer, which changes the groove a bit, but still work as played here.
Well done overall!

12 Likes

The only music that can be played ‘wrong’ is classical - everything else is fluid, even with the original artists.

I LOVED this one, you did an amazing job and nailed it!!!

3 Likes

Boy do I like this tune, and never heard it before.
Thanks for sharing it.

Really really well done.
Interesting ‘all upstroke’ picking.
I love seeing how everyone adopts techniques to what works best for them.

2 Likes

A whisker bass boomy/heavy - which is really easy to do with the small but mighty Hofner.
Great playing and sounded great!
Nice slides too.

1 Like

Fantastic @Paul_9207 !!!
Thought you did great and it sounded terrific!
You clean up good too.

2 Likes

Wow wow wow!
This was great!
well done @sunDOG
creepy goodness!!!

2 Likes

I would sort of take exception to that; I believe most classical composers expected their music to be improvised on, at least for soloists in concertos etc.

I recall a radio commentator referring to the Nigel Kennedy version of one of Vivaldi’s four seasons as “Nigel Kennedy’s version…with a few extra notes!”

1 Like

Thanks John! It was an experiment running through the Zoom and the Rumble 100. Next time direct into Reaper and Amplitube.

Cadenza is the term you’re looking for.

On the classical point in general I think it’s a bit nuanced. For example a lot of orchestral instruments are significantly changed or didn’t exist at the time pieces were originally performed. Piano accompaniment for Bach is a good example - it would have been a harpsichord at debut, but who has a harpsichord sitting around?

Even the violin has undergone huge changes that change the repertoire you can play and the tone of the instrument a whole lot. Scale lengths have increased, metal wound synthetic core strings are way brighter sounding, and the bow is completely different. Here’s a video going over some of the differences if this interests you.

4 Likes

Well I’m no expert but I think they used to go a bit beyond cadenzas. They are the formal place to improvise but soloists (who were often composers as well) would, I believe, insert their own improvised sections (fugues?) pretty much whenever they played.

Of course it has largely become much too formalised now and they can interpret but too much improvisation gets a bit frowned upon I believe.

1 Like

Cannot watch your video because of bandwidth limitations of this war zone, but am very curious about the bass!

2 Likes

Thanks man! :pbass:

Appreciate ya dude! :jbass:

2 Likes

I had heard this song many times, but when I watched the music video a few years ago I just cried. great song, great job!

2 Likes

Nice job! It sounds great with the synth.

1 Like

thanks @John_E !

1 Like