Post your covers! (2019-2022)

I’m glad it wasn’t just me lol :joy:

5 Likes

Brian this is fantastic. Your timing is spot on, you’re sitting in the mix just right, and the tone is perfect for the song. Not only that but the note durations are great with the proper mix of legato and sustain and solid attack. Bravo. Sounds like a pro did this.

7 Likes

The chain is BASS->overdrive->amp di->mixer->DAI

You made a similar comment on my covers before, I am recording using the camera app of windows and the loopback function of my DAI so maybe I am not hearing what is actually being recorded when I monitor through headphones…

I’m sorry for the bad production value here in respect to all these work put out there by others posting their videos on their web site even but my focus is more or less saving the progress…

That’s quite interesting because I thought I was doing just that as Josh tells million times through the B2B… I will try to make a video with different video angle to take a look!

I have really low action on the bass that might also be the reason for the clanking and buzz when I go fast and hard on strings… Maybe I should amplify more and attack less…

Right now I’m playing with two bands with different styles and I wouldn’t want to setup my bass differently each time!

One band is playing :
Paranoid
Whiskey in the jar

While other is playing :
Sailing
Hotel California

4 Likes

First off the cover was well played and you did a good job throughout! You also clearly had a lot of fun playing it and it was fun to watch.

Now as for the tone - it sounds to me like your DAI is clipping. There is definitely something going on with the input levels there that is causing what @T_dub mentioned. What DAI do you use?

As for the plucking:

I know exactly what Toby is talking about here because it is a habit I have. And looking at the video I can see what he means here. The way you are holding your plucking hand (which is also how I hold mine) looks like it is causing you to pluck kind of diagonally into the bass rather than straight across. Do you ever find your fingers landing on the pickup acter plucking?

The way I notice this in my own playing is that sometimes there will be a hammering effect when I pluck as my finger comes down on the string. It usually only happens when I play fast. It actually sounds kind of cool so I don’t stress much about it, but it is a symptom of this. It sounds like it happens to you too at (for example) 0:51 and 0:52. I actually kind of like the effect myself.

5 Likes

Yeah, I am not as good of detecting what is going on with my ears as Howard is, but it is noticeable. I am sure it is just a small adjustment anywhere. I also have not tried to tackle video, and don’t know how this may or may not be affecting anything.

This is unnecessary, everybody is at their own level. For the amount of work you are putting in, moving between two different bands, with two different styles, and learning 9 or 10 songs in a month to be able to do it, You have so much going on, the fact you took time to share with us, amazes me.

And I am sure you know we are just trying to help, and point out what you may not be seeing, I only hope that my inability to explain it and diagnose it perfectly doesn’t further confuse you.

3 Likes

So, with the recent trending of the very nice “Bassiversary” thread, I realized that I have an anniversary of my own this weekend: it has been one whole year since I uploaded my first cover onto “Post Your Covers!”

That was a cover of Roy Orbison’s “Pretty Woman” (link: Post your covers! (2019-2022) - #879 by sfadams)

I’d been playing bass for around 6 months. My playing was scratchy, with dodgy timing and I couldn’t consistently hit the F-sharps while playing the main riff. It took me well over a dozen takes to get what I got (I recall hitting my camera’s 30-minute video recording limit twice).

So, precisely one year later, I thought I’d revisit the song. It’s not quite the same, though, as here I am covering the live version from the “Black and White Night” movie. This version lasts around 6 minutes because of a long, but very cool, guitar ‘battle’ at the end (Bruce Springsteen takes on every other guitarist on stage). The live version is also a few BPM quicker than the original recording. This time around, I managed to plough through the song and create the video on only the second take. A sign of progress there, at least.

Enough of my rambling. Here’s the new vid. Happy Cover-iversary to me:
https://youtu.be/Lw2VKGJzvb8

Gear used:

• Serek Midwestern 2;
  • Darkglass Element (DAI);
  • Reaper (DAW);
  • Plugins: Ampeg SVT-Pro (Plugin Alliance), Smack Attack Mono (Waves)
11 Likes

Wow, first, Happy Anniversary.
Man, I love that bass, and the color is so cool and such nice tone.
Wow, you have come along way, you should be proud.
Excellent finger work, you are really flying around the neck with ease.
Great Job!

I am unfamiliar with the movie, but you have now peaked my interest.

And wow, what a long song, it is still playing in the background as I am typing :wink:
You have some awesome endurance.

4 Likes

I think I said this last time too but I love that Serek :slight_smile:

Tone sounds awesome through the amp sim too.

4 Likes

This looks and sounds fantastic man! I love that song and the idea of cover-versaries!

Would you please explain the recording progress here? Are you recording to the daw meanwhile recoding the video at the same time? Then putting them all together later?

6 Likes

Well for this particular song yes, especially at the chorus that I literally hammer on the strings while plucking… Got the style from this video

Now thinking what you say, what I digested from the B2B was that I need to ancor my thumb on the PUps and make a motion to join the ring/index fingers to the thumb. So for the E string that would be fairly diagonal towards the bass since the upper end of my P PUp is quite low… While plucking the A string however they come more cross like @T_dub was mentioning since my thumb is anchored on the E string which is significantly higher…

Thanks for the added awareness on the subject! I think this is over all a tone decision which I am not making consciously!

That’s exactly my point I take almost no time making the videos, it’s exactly the same setup I use to study the songs and I simply click record button on the shitty camera app of my PC… This provides three things!

-I see myself playing simultaneously
-Adds a performance factor which reminds me not to fixate on the fretboard
-Motivates me to register over and over again until I am too tired and decide “that last one was good enough I think”

Then I cut the beginning and the end of the video and drop it on YouTube!

The hardest work I put on editing this track was to put the kicks in the beginning so that @skydvr can get the idea that you start playing on 3rd…

6 Likes

I’ll explain the recording process a bit later today when I have more time. (Basically, it’s a “yes” to both your questions).

3 Likes

The fact that you’re doing this and putting it out there is super awesome! And yeah, big +1 to the comment that you’re doing this while having so much else going on.

As far as the plucking thing goes I wouldn’t stress too hard about it. I mean, I do it and I don’t stress about it :slight_smile:

Plus it’s working fine for you. I just wanted to echo that I could see what Toby was referring to there in case it wasn’t clear.

5 Likes

Here ya go …

Yeah, it’s two separate files put together at the end. I guess I do what most folks on this thread do. Record the bass guitar straight into the DAW using the DAI, and use the camera for video only (I ditch the camera audio - which consists of air-conditioner and outside traffic noise). It means that I render an MP3 in Reaper, and then I match that audio up with the video file in Premiere Pro (which can be a bit fiddly).

2 Likes

Fantastic @sfadams!
I struggle with playing that fast, that long, great endurance and accuracy!

3 Likes

Bass is too boomy, take a look at the 125hz (dynamic EQ or regular) and cut it down a bit or use some multi-band compression on the low end. Other than that, great performance.
:+1:

3 Likes

Congrats on your first bassiversary @sfadams your “New and Improved” Pretty Woman sounded great! You’ve come a long way.

5 Likes

Thanks for your feedback, I really enjoyed doing this cover :+1:, keep your eye out for some more from Aussie crawl ,Laurent @terb, @Fahri, Toby @T_dub, @Mac, @howard,
Cheers Brian

4 Likes

Some really nice chugging going on there @Fahri,
I agree with the comments from the other forum members around saturation, you look nice and relaxed, I think over time all the little technical things will dissipate, especially with playing with the bands,
Keep up the good work,
Cheers Brian

3 Likes

Thanks. Having listened to it through decent cans now, I tend to agree. It’s the nature of the short-scale beast, I think. More low-end fundamentals to deal with.

4 Likes

Thank you @PamPurrs! And thanks also to @John_E, @T_dub, @Fahri and @howard for their kind words.

5 Likes