Post your covers! (2019-2022)

Hey @RoyB

Cool tune!
I like your tone ans overall playing.
You lose the groove a lot and I think I see why.

Here’s what I see…
You seem to lose the groove when your looking at the sheet music (upper fret riff) and do much better keeping it when looking at the frets (on the lower riff). So I think trying to read and play something this fast is messing your groove up. And I think you know both riffs, so put the sheet music away and for it and see what happens.

Also, always use a strap even when sitting. Stabilizes the bass and will help prevent missing notes.

I love that your pushing yourself, keep it up. Sounding great!!!

7 Likes

Good cover. I think you grooved fairly well on it. Much better than I could have done at this stage of my bass prowess.

4 Likes

congrats for this first cover, you have just made the hardest part :grin:

yes, probably. there are a lot of timing issues, the song might be too fast for your current skill level, maybe you could try at a slower tempo (absolutly no shame for doing this) or find another song with a slower groove, it might help at first.

exactly, and that’s perfectly fine :slight_smile:

I’d say that covers are really an excellent way of showing this kind of issue. it’s not always easy to realize it when you’re just playing live for yourself without recording anything. Here, you have some serious material to analyze your playing, and this will really help you at getting a better bass player.

6 Likes

Good job - especially for a first cover attempt! The timing sounds a little weird in places but everything else is working. Catchy song too - reminds me a bit of the Cure

4 Likes

Great first cover @RoyB . Onwards and upwards

3 Likes

Great first effort @RoyB ! I can’t add to the good advice above so keep pluggin’ at it.
:+1:

4 Likes

Thanks for all the feedback, everyone!

Definitely. Listening back to this I hear where I lose it. And I think your theory about looking at the tab is right. I have much less of a problem staying on beat when I play away from the tab. I think I just have to build up the confidence to ditch it.

Totally :sunglasses:

Yeah, the bassline refused to get outta my head until I took a shot at it :laughing:

6 Likes

more than one year after I released a cover of a Sun Of Grey song, the band commented the video on Youtube. it’s always nice to get a few words from the bands we cover :grin:

CoverSunOfGrey

12 Likes

Doesn’t get any better than that.
Very cool.

6 Likes

Wow! That is really cool. This cover was before my time here so enjoyed hearing it too. Made me want to go check this band out on Spotify, liking it so far.

5 Likes

Whenever I get back to NJ, I like to give the Hofner a little TLC. So here it is

13 Likes

Glad to see the Hofner back! Another great cover :+1: :+1:but maybe the bass could be a little higher in the mix? I’m not sure how the original went though …

3 Likes

Sounds great @JerryP
The mix sounds right to me on my PC speaker system.

3 Likes

Thanks @Ed and @John_E ! I may look into new studio monitors to help with my mixing.

3 Likes

That was great Jerry, great sound and video.

3 Likes

Thanks @AnotherJosh !

1 Like

I think the level issue is one of device dependence. I have the same troubles. For a phone to a TV to a sonos system with subwoofer to pc speakers to pc speaker system with a subwoofer, all give varying results to the listener.

That’s where these high end mixer people know tricks to get things to sound good across all of these. (Or in some cases don’t, lol).

I wouldn’t fret it much. I never listen to folks here on anything but good systems I have with sub-wonder etc or the car. Phone listening is useless.

Your mix this time sounds fine on my better systems and if it also sounds good to you your better off practicing or leaving another song than going down the “best on all devices mixing path”. IMO

4 Likes

+1 on this. I just listened to this cover with my Sennheiser headphones and it sounded fabulous. Not too high in the mix and it sounded to me like it was panned hard left. It could also be that because of my hearing loss in my right ear that’s not the case!

I just listened on my Imac speakers and a little harder to pick out the bass.

Anyway didn’t know the song, but it was really lovely. Bonus points for not only multiple camera angles but matching T Shirt @JerryP is putting us all to shame :slight_smile:

Right, I need to knuckle down and get another one in the can.

4 Likes

The bass mix sounded ok to me, FWIW; yeah, could have been higher, but it wasn’t unacceptably low either. And this song isn’t really about the bass.

I think what might be lacking is the bass frequencies overall from the song in general, probably due to stripping the bass from the backing track, and this may make the song sound anemic on some speakers. This is difficult to fix as even tools that try and isolate bass will still be removing other bass portions of other instruments when they remove the bass.

So all in all, sure, consider mixing the bass a little higher, but really I think it sounded pretty good. Nice cover, Jerry.

5 Likes

Very nice playing @JerryP! Great song choice as well. It still amazes me how good a lot of the lesser known Beatles’ album cuts are.

2 Likes