Post your original songs/compositions!

Originally Va currently living in Japan

4 Likes

I’m french

3 Likes

OK guys (and gals) really stepping way,way out of my comfort zone on this one…
Trying to attempt vocals for the first time. After I recorded this song, I got the crazy idea to see what it might sound like if I tried to sing. I kept hearing the line “just let it go” based on a repeating guitar riff. Not many lyrics written yet, so I just repeat what I have so far as placeholders.

Singing is very difficult for a complete novice, it’s much harder than I ever imagined to try and consistently make sounds that are somewhat in the correct pitch/key/whatever you want to call it! After hearing this, the voice that comes to mind is Richard Butler, the singer from the 80s band Psychedelic Furs. Kind of monotone, but at least for some of this it sort of works. (at least enough for me to keep experimenting more) I added some chorus and distortion on the vocals in order to thicken it up a bit.

Next plan will be to try and learn to play bass and sing this at the same time. I tried it a little today after recording, and it was a real eye opening experience! My brain is concentrating too hard to make the connection for both tasks- but I could start to see a little improvement once I really dumbed down the bass very slowly and just tried to time the changes so they matched what was happening with the vocals. (but my brain has to really focus in on singing so it will be a long road!)

This mix sounds pretty muddy on my computer monitors, but is much easier to hear with headphones. Please be kind, haha.

10 Likes

I am trying singing now too so I totally get how hard and utterly humbling this is. Thanks for having the courage to put this out there for us!

3 Likes

Stepping out of one’s comfort zone can indeed be frightening, but also exhilarating and rewarding! Way to go!

And… for me at least, singing is the ultimate musical/technical challenge - hats off to you, sir!

4 Likes

@Gabriel1 no silly questions here, :rofl: you’re not the first one to ask this: Where are you guys from?
And you might add your own info here: Introduce Yourself! if you haven’t already. :+1:

4 Likes

@lee_editorial indeed a familiar sound, nice one!
Our mind can handle it only if one of the tasks is fully automated. So when you blindly can play the bass, you can concentrate on singing at the same time. Try to keep the bass line repetitive during these singing practice. And progressively add more bass playing at singing practice.
And yes singing is as difficult as playing any instrument fully. So you need time, practice and patience to master it. Saying that, at the same time, the singing ‘instrument’ for most of us have a smaller range to use then the bass. Always sing in a comfortable way, never try to imitate the sound of someone else: that’s only done with autotune, mixing, synthesized.

5 Likes

thank you! Yes i have already add it! :blush:

3 Likes

Thanks @Gabriel1, inspiring to hear your music.

3 Likes

:heart: :heart:

2 Likes

awesome…and I’m right there with you, the microphone hates me and I hate it right back. But you are being way too critical i thought you did great and your voice fit the music you were playing…good on ya!

5 Likes

@infra I just read your post where you said you wanted to get back into Ableton again I did this course a number of years ago and found it quite helpful.
https://www.coursera.org/learn/ableton-live its only a beginner course but its free and might be useful.

3 Likes

Also I remember @PamPurrs talking about starting to use Ableton too… You might be interested in the above course too.

2 Likes

I quit using Ableton after a very short time. I’ve been using Reaper for quite awhile now.

2 Likes

…okay, I’m done. Lol that was incredible. Very nice playing.

4 Likes

Thank you!! Haha never say that again! :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

Here is version 2 of Just Let it Go. I re-imagined the song using a faster tempo drum track. I enjoy experimenting with different BPMs and genres using the same ideas- sometimes it works out, sometimes it don’t!

7 Likes

This is great. Sounds way better than most local band demos I check out on soundcloud. Very impressive that you play everything but the drums, bravo sir

Just curious, where did you get the drums?

5 Likes

Yeah you are definitely way ahead of me on vocals :slight_smile:

This is starting to sound great. What are you using for the guitar distortion? I like it!

Harmonizing vocals with yourself was killer too.

4 Likes

@bjams

Thanks so much for the nice feedback, I appreciate that! It still feels like an illusion for me since its all really basic stuff that I am doing- but it is starting to feel like music.

The drums are from an online guy who posted a drum cover of U2’s " I will follow." I thought it really sounded cool to rebuild my earlier version using the new drum track. I have messaged him with a link, so hopefully he grants me permission. If not, I will just take down, and use new drums on the next one. This is kind of a work on progress since I need to add more lyrics as well.

I’m a video editor, so doing the video aspect is pretty quick- one of the main reasons I do this format is that I’m trying to force myself into the stress of playing/performing from start to finish. (Rather than taking a typical audio recording approach where you can do 20 takes of one short section and then just keep the best one, cutting and pasting the song together.)

4 Likes