Post your original songs/compositions!

This is very straight forward classic rock style song. Also first one we recorded in a pro studio.

2 Likes

Do you happen to know what software the studio engineer used on the master bus when mixing your album? All of the tracks have this subtle common quality that I like that I am trying to put my finger on. I think it’s something about the stereo separation - it’s almost like a phase thing.

Hmm, I don’t but I remember he ran the mix downs through an analog device (piece of hardware). We also had a mix of mic’d up cabs and DI which he then blended. Was never there for mastering, but I’ve always assumed it was a dark art that involved sacrificing some chickens or something?!

3 Likes

Mixing down through an analog device - tape saturator maybe? Interesting.

I’m not sure what it was unfortunately, but after a mixing session he would run it through that as the final step of mixing. He had quite a bit of analog equipment used during recording as well.

1 Like

I’ve never seen one but apparently a lot of studios go to tape as a last step for saturation and a kind of analog dithering. And some of these just play directly through - records on to tape and plays back off the tape immediately out the other side, like a (real) tape delay would. But like I said, never seen one, I’ve just heard of them.

2 Likes

It may have been something like that. Maybe an analog compressor or something. I have no idea it’s so far out of my realm! Lol. I even pay someone who knows it.

1 Like

Yeah going out through a real compressor/limiter would be the least surpsising thing ever, too.

1 Like

I know we remixed and remastered everything on the album release to get them closer in sound to each other too. It was fun stuff. Guy was pretty awesome and he only charged $40 an hour too!

1 Like

I’ll try and put my finger on it. It sounds like some kind of phase separation or stereo widening thing. It sounds cool and is really subtle - it gives the overall band a coherent feel.

3 Likes

Yeah I wonder. That was actually the goal for the tweaks he made for the final album mix, so good to hear someone recognize and appreciate it!

2 Likes

That’s some great music and great production. It sounds very professional to me. Well done (to you all)!

Last professional recording I did was 20 years ago. Things have changed a bit. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Thank you! It sure took a lot of time, effort, fights and trial and error to get it how it is, and we thought the sound engineer did a really good job. Paying a professional was the right move compared to figuring it out ourselves!

3 Likes

Love that song, great lyrics, but great audio with it, nice, simple but effective bass-line, right on time. I am digging it.

1 Like

Thank you…been listening to a lot of Duck Dunn so I’m throwing that 5-6 in everywhere. I remember Josh saying he liked slides and how much they add so I just gave the 5-6 a slide and here we go.

2 Likes

This one, fun intro on the bass, then the rest has a nice thumpy quarternote bounce to it. Really dig the tone (on my bass and across the board) the studio tech got us here. Also, the song isn’t arrogant, it is about people condemning others for things they have done themselves.

5 Likes

I really like this one! . . . pretty good job, @kerushlow :+1: :+1:

Cheers
Joe

1 Like

Thanks! I thought the guitar solo came out really well on it. The guitarist on this track he was our Rhythm guitarist when we were a 5 piece. The lead guitarist quit, and then this guy stepped up and just started shredding! He’s still our lead and played all but one solo on our album!

1 Like

I got to playing around with a new toy and it got away from me when I listen to it I can’t say I’m unhappy with it.

2 Likes

What are you using on your voice there? :slight_smile:

1 Like