Post your original songs/compositions!

@T_dub cheers! We’re hoping the drummer has time this week to sort his end and then we’ll have another review

1 Like

While some of you who are over at Bass Education have heard most of this already I thought I would share it here to try and stay engaged on both platforms. This track follows some of my practice in walking bass lines etc. It is Blues in Bb The backing track is apart of the Erskine Essentials with Peter Erskine on Drums, Alan Pasqua on Piano. The baselines is entirely created by myself. All rights to the backing track go to Basseducation.com and Damian Erskine. Hope you enjoy.
Lester Harper Blues in Bb

4 Likes

Very nice Lester,
Cheers Brian

3 Likes

Great stuff Lester. I hope to get my BassEducation lifetime membership sorted out soon. I had a little bump in the road this past week, but back home and should get back to that site shortly.

3 Likes

@quadfather

Really nice work, and quality sound. Love the vocals!

3 Likes

@lee_editorial

Thanks! We’re having a blast practicing it. Will hopefully have a final version one day!

1 Like

Here is my latest. This song has morphed a few times over the last few months as its been developed, played with different tempos, etc. . Latest incarnation has me attempting to sing and play guitar at the same time… for the very first time ever. Very difficult! I just wrote 2 short repeating verses to try and keep it simple. Basic, but having fun.

8 Likes

Realy liking the guitar tone there :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Your voice sounds like a mix between Geddy Lee and Roger Hodgson. I dig the tune, gives me some early 90’s Touch and Go records vibe.

4 Likes

@Noisembryo

Haha, thanks! Had to just google Hodgson- familiar with Supertramp, but guess I somehow never heard his name before. Yes, singing is way out of my comfort zone- just started trying that a few months back. (never even sang karaoke before, so it pretty scary) Now trying to play and sing at the same time, I realize how tough that can be.

Like it was mentioned on this thread earlier (or on another similar one), I cannot let loose and sing unless everyone is out of the house- too self conscious! (the recorded mix sounds ok, but no one would want to hear that sound without amplification and the other instruments!)

I always thought my voice was sort of a bit Neil Young/Tom Petty, but Geddy Lee/Roger Hodgson may also be in there as well.

3 Likes

I am so in the same boat. It’s actually negatively effecting my singing progress.

4 Likes

Love this!!!

2 Likes

@howard

Yeah, I feel the exact same way. It’s tough to make the progress I would like because of those limitations. Weird thing is, I’ve seen several “behind the scenes” style of music documentaries, and the vocals can typically sound very lame- even with famous artists. Sometimes you will hear live audio from the studio captured using camera mic or external mic. (so that you hear what it would sound like if you were actually standing in that room)

That often sounds really bare bones, and not pleasing to the ear at all! But of course when you hear the isolated vocal track through the studio mic into the system, even without effects it sounds 100% better. Of course you add some vocal sweetening or effects, and then add all the instruments along with it and it becomes magic.

So I guess what I am saying is that even professionals always don’t sound great stripped down to nothing screaming into a mic in a room. (but I just don’t have the confidence to pull that off in within earshot of other people yet!)

3 Likes

Very nicely done @lee_editorial,
:sunglasses:
Cheers Brian

2 Likes

@lee_editorial

Really good, like it! It’s got a bit of a cure vibe for me, always a good thing!

3 Likes

In this period I am challenging myself to come out with a new riff every week and develop it playing with other people on Jamulus…

I would name myself “I need a drummer” go to an empty low ping server and practice there until some people drop by. After I get a drummer it is very common that other instruments pop in and out and we create the next big summer hit :stuck_out_tongue:

This was from last week

This is from this week and still work in progress

7 Likes

Really coo.
Both sound good
The 2nd one sounds a little better as far a saturation.
It seems like you have your bass going into the DAI either too high, or you have your recording values set high.
I like to record settings being at least -3.0 on the track, the music tracks can be turned lower to avoid the clipping and hitting the ceiling.
You can master the song with plenty of volume and it will sound great, if you record them at lower then zero values in the software, like Garage Band.
@howard is much better with these settings then I, but he or I should be able to get your bass sounding clean and not clipping or running out of room in some places.
Otherwisa, great little tunes you are working on.

Thanks a lot for the comments!

I am still getting used to this P-Bass roar and switching my setup back and forth between the Active Soapbars of Cort A4 and this new beast.

In my setup I go through my Markbass Combo Head II as preamp into a mixer that I use to involve a Microphone and the drum machine from my phone. Output of the mixer is going in stereo to the channels 1-2 of the DAI.

I am using directly the Camera Application in windows to record the video and audio at the same time so I don’t have much possibility MIX it properly. I am just lazy…

The idea behind these is just to create bass lines and for now I am not focusing on the production stage (I probably should if I am to share them publicly like this)

Thanks again!

1 Like

Its easy to just figure out in the early stages, so when you start getting way more technical with your projects, this won’t be an issue.
But you are doing fine, you can get by now, and figure that out later, no problem either way

1 Like

Sounds great, @Fahri . . . :slight_smile:

Agree with @T_dub . . . I also like the 2nd one a bit better

You’re well on your way! :wink:

Cheers
Joe

2 Likes