Post your original songs/compositions!

5 Likes

Another great track @Tokyo_Rat Larry! When does the album drop? :grin:

3 Likes

Thank you, hey something cool to share. My son bought this mobile vocal booth and has it set up in his apt. So I’m riding with him last night and he says check this out and he puts on this track he’s finished and then listens to this song and we spent the rest of the evening talking production, track groupings, where things go in the mix etc etc. His stuff sounds so much better than mine…LOL

6 Likes

I really like this! :slight_smile: :upside_down_face:

Is it your own composition?

2 Likes

Hello this is something I threw together as part of my practice. This is completely freestyle, so no drums no backing track or melody for inspiration. 1-4-5 blues in key of F, in style of motown. Only 12 bars at the moment, I’m in the baby stages working towards a coherent linear piece. Full disclosure this is captured on phone. Thanks for any feedback

Finally had a little while to do a recording and video

6 Likes

@Don_D, yep I writem and play all the pieces and parts and am stuck doing the vocals…my process is so simple its a little embarrassing but I do it any way…LOL

2 Likes

Hey man, the end result is all that matters :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I learn and experiment with the mix all the time, what I need is to start using a DAW on the PC as opposed to the one on line. Way too many times I’m running out of tracks but I’m a sucker for the presets with regards to compression and time based effects. This one only has a little reverb on everything but the vocals.

2 Likes

The good news is that you can get very good DAWs cheaply (like Reaper) or free (with the entry level licenses that come with audio interfaces and controllers).

2 Likes

Another great composition @Tokyo_Rat ! Enjoyed it.

1 Like

Thanks Jerry, hey are you having any problems getting notifications…I stopped getting them at all

1 Like

No, no problem. I haven’t had time to respond in a timely manner due to work schedule.

1 Like

Concrete Sailboat Captain was the first single by the Bolsheviks of Madrid. The Bolsheviks of Madrid is collaboration with Bret Hamilton and myself. This is also on our debut album, “Resurfaced”. The cover art is by Todd Alcott.
Bret made this video. It tells the tale of a sailor of a boat that can only sink.
On this track I wrote the music and Bret wrote the lyrics and did the lead vocals.

6 Likes

I don’t know what I just watched, but I liked it :smile: A nice Tom Waits vibe to it.

1 Like

@Barney Thank you. I’ll share your comment with Bret.

Our music has an interesting process that is sort of like long-distance, slow-motion, badminton. I live in Wellington, Nevada and Bret lives in Aurora, Colorado. We send music files back and forth until we feel they are complete.

2 Likes

well… I really enjoyed that!

3 Likes

Thank you @Paul_9207

1 Like

Inspired by the likes of @howard and other multi instrumentalists I decided to set myself a challenge. Make an original song in one day using GarageBand, my Bass and a Midi Keyboard (the very reasonably priced Arturia MiniLab MkII).

I found out that NASA has a Soundcloud feed. So inspired by this I chose one of their uploads and built a song around that.

I set myself the target of being finished by the evening just to force myself to not overthink it and have fun.

Crazy how powerful the synth stuff is that comes bundled free with a $80 midi controller. Arturia gives you Analogue Labs 4 to get you going. It’s awesome for a non keyboard player like me to use.

So here it is my first ever original composition. Lots of room for improvement but kind of amazed that these tools exist for not much money. I’ll take all the constructive feedback you can give, I’m keen to learn. Cheers.

The sound sample at the end is from NASA’s InSight Mars lander, which detected a giant meteoroid strike on the planet.

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Arturia/MiniLab-MKII-Mini-Hybrid-Keyboard-Controller.gc

10 Likes

Analogue Lab is amazing! It’s the best ad for V Collection ever, and is plenty for most people. Sooooooo many good classic synth sounds in there.

Arturia is basically my favorite music hardware company for synth-like stuff. Great software instruments too, in addition to the V Collection/Analogue Lab stuff, their synth Pigments is great.

1 Like