Post your original songs/compositions!

Awesome, @Barney ! Fantastic idea to challenge yourself like that! I have (virtual) drawers full of half-finished compositions and snippets, and when I get back to them after a few months, I can’t remember what I was doing back then…

Nicely layered and ebbing and flowing. I guess I would have liked the e-bass (“our main instrument”) to take on a more prominent role at some point, but that’s probably a whole other dimension. For a day project, it is very cool and hopefully inspires you to do more in that direction :smile:

2 Likes

I really like the use of pads in this song. Is the vocal “ahhhs” pad from SQ-80V? Sounds familiar :slight_smile:

1 Like

This is fantastic!
What a great goal and learning experience.
This sounds like it needs the guy from Depeche Mode singing over it. His voice came to mind and could imagine him singing.

You’re on your way to becoming the next ‘80s teen idol. You’re gonna need more hair though brother.

3 Likes

That’s a valid point @joergkutter and something I’ll definitely work on. To be honest, it was more a case of teaching myself how to layer pads / sequences of chord progressions on top of one another etc. Learning a bit more about the DAW.

But Yes, more Bass forward in the next mix :wink:

1 Like

@howard The two main pads I used in Analogue Lab 4 were

Astral Voices - Roland Jupiter 8

Blade of Canada - Mix of a Yamaha DX7 and CS-80

I just dragged and dropped pads onto a chord progression until I found something I liked. Too much fun.

1 Like

Awesome! The Jupiter 8 model is one of the better ones. Not that any are bad :slight_smile:

The dual Yamaha action on the second pad is pretty cool too.

1 Like

My son gave me a new overdrive pedal and it needed to be used…

5 Likes

Very nice Larry! Great tone with the new pedal.
:+1:

1 Like

Thanks Jerry it was a lot fun to play with…
Gotta feelin i havent scracthed the surface of what it can do

1 Like

I guess I never shared the “final” product of our group’s first endeavor into the studio. Well, it was a long and winding road with Covid and other obstacles… Suffice it to say, the bass was recorded in Sep 2020 (!) and I would (and could) play my lines a little different now. Oh well… :joy:

Good thing is we are slated to go back to the studio for two a bit more challenging tracks in a few weeks - hopefully the whole process will be more streamlined and less painful :wink:

Anyhoo, here is “You Were There” and “Full Moon”:

5 Likes

Nice. I really like your bass tone in Full Moon. Was that the Mayones?

Still listening to it :slight_smile:

This is… much less Jazzy than I was expecting, very nice.

1 Like

Yep!

Haha, yes… it’s, uhm, cough, melodic rock :wink:

It’s a great learning and training possibility, but not my final musical destiny!

3 Likes

These are great @joergkutter
Your bass playing is seamless and sounds fantastic.

2 Likes

Thanks, John! The next tunes to be recorded are tad more, uhm, lively :grin: (More challenging to play, for sure!)

1 Like

Loved this, coming from the lowest level beginner might not mean much but I would jam with you and this sound any time.
Around 1:25ish I had paused and was going to say, hey if you added a bit of xyz in the mix, then thought hold on lets finish first. Around 1:48 or so it was like you read my mind, and yeah this is something I’d be proud to have made if that means anything. Love your sound.
(help guys, any advice how to find the original post I was replying to? I didn’t @ the original poster and not sure if anyone can tell who I was replying to. I think it was something by terb, a mix with them playing all of the instrument parts and the video was the mixing software.)

Yes, this is going to be tricky. It is usually advisable to either @ the person or use the “reply” option directly connected to the entry you want to reply to (instead of the red “reply” button at the end of the thread, which adds a new non-connected entry to the thread).

But, since you mentioned @terb, maybe he knows which entry/video you are referring to :smile:

1 Like

most probably the very first post of this thread :smiley:

2 Likes

Only mildly embarrassing to admit that it was the very first post in the thread right!? I’ll edit my post with an ampersand so people can follow the continuity in the future. I’m following Josh’s suggested reading list, and have a whooole lot of catch up to do. I’ll prb be hitting some zombie posts or threads resurrecting things from years gone by as I get to know you guys. Hopefully you don’t mind and have some patience with the nuubs. :nerd_face:

2 Likes

Well ive finished a few new songs for your review…

The first is walking in Eden, prog rock, acid jazz.
I played all the instruments… studio bass track recording.

The 2nd is blues rock called Temple of Truth, i’m playing guitar in this one, but using bass fingerpicking on the lead parts.

The last is a jazz blues funk song called Red, White and Blue Chameleon

When letting go is all you have left

8 Likes