Post your pedal ideas

Hahaha, I didn’t look, I thought it was just a product description.
Ok, so yeah, there is no MAC download, just IOS, so probably Ipad and iphone, which is OK I guess. Actually, probably better if you were at a live show, but it is nice to have a desktop for lots of software IMO.

Edit, says supports Mac in the. fine print.
I need to investigate more.

1 Like

This might have serious bass potential:

https://www.mesaboogie.com/pedals--related/drive-pedals/flux-five.html

Not bass specific but has high-pass, low-pass, coarse and fine grain EQ, and while not quite as effective a crossover function as something like a Microtubes X, still potentially good for keeping the low end.

Low EQ band at 80Hz is a little high but not terrible depending on how wide the band is.

With the high EQ bands being that high you could probably simulate things like the G-K Hi Boost or the Darkglass clank.

1 Like

I. want. this. thing.

6 Likes

It’s been all over the place lately. Seems like you can actually get some fun stuff out of it and not just play the Zelda theme :+1:

4 Likes

well this is different. cool though.

pink flats on a black warwick? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Everybody’s doing it, don’t be such a square man :joy:

2 Likes

Here is another great illustration of why I wish more pedals were designed to be bass specific. Yet again, I’m wanting to control how much low goes to the effect. He is doing in it a DAW, but the same concept applies. This video is cued up to the time point where he shows it . . .

2 Likes

I was considering this the other day, thinking about the jhs budget series for bass video and how everybody thinks it kills your low end. At the end of the day, could most good guitar pedals be transformed into decent bass pedals by simply adding a blend knob?

3 Likes

I think that and a high pass filter knob to control the signal going to the effect. I think this should be standard on most bass FX.

I’m still wanting a reasonably priced pedal with blend and high pass send to an FX loop. If I had that I could put any chain of any pedals in the loop and still get what I want from blend and crossover in a wrapper around it.

@howard found some great ideas used for x-over splits, but they are all pretty pricey and gigantic for what I’d be using it for. The SFX X&M would have done it, but it’s discontinued and hard to find.

2 Likes

Interesting. You might very well be right, but the number of bass effects currently with HPF is pretty damn small. I’m more getting at the fact that a whole buncha pedal companies could start a whole new line by just taking their existing pedals, tossing a blend knob on them and calling it the bassomatic disto 3000.

1 Like

i just saw a thing on worst pedals ever made and this was in it :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

3 Likes

@terb found a kit for something very similar to the Tyler on Musikdings and it was super cheap.

I had some free time today and I went on a mission to find out more about these types of pedals. Like, what else might be out there. I did some research and this is what I came up with…

Here’s an article on TalkBass that was the foundation of most of my research… Cross-Over (Crossover or Splitter) Pedals

They also get called Crossover Mix Pedals, FX loop pedals, or just loop pedals. Which makes it more confusing because they’re talking about FX loops and not Looper loops. Just wanted to point this out so anyone reading this in the future doesn’t get confused by the terms.

I think part of the reason they’re so hard to find is there’s no consistency in what they’re called. Also, they’re considered a specialized pedal without a big market.

$85 Byte Heaven Single Cross
This was the most affordable thing I could find. However, it doesn’t give full loop. You’d still need a device to bring the signals back together.

$153 Byte Heaven Sugar Britches
This pedal has a good reputation on TalkBass and seems to do what you’ve described. However, it’s still the size of a full size pedal and I wouldn’t call it inexpensive.

$179 Damnation Audio Loop Blender

$279 JohnK Cross-Mix (These are built per order.)

$200 KMA Tyler -The Frequency Splitter

$235 Iron Ether Divaricator

$320 Bored Brain Transmutron

$??? Brimstone Audio Ouroboros (seem to be made per order)

$??? VFE Klein Bottle (discontinued but interesting from a research perspective)

If none of these give the proper combination of loops and filters, SaturnWorks Pedals will build what you want and they have a good reputation on TalkBass.

As an alternative…
One Boss LS-2 Line Selector ($70, used) and Two Boss GEB-7 EQ pedals (at $70 each, used). If you take your time you can probably get each of these for $50 a pedal. This isn’t a very space friendly though.

Lastly, I don’t know how it works, but the Helix/HX Stomp allow you to do this. As does the Boss GT-10b.

3 Likes

I’ve kind of wanted a Tyler ever since I first saw one. And I don’t even really need it as all my pedals I would use it on already have crossovers.

1 Like

Kudos to @terb, here’s a 15-euro kit that does it.

https://www.musikding.de/Pro-Cessor-kit

Ideally it would have cutoff frequency pots for each selected filter, but still, 15 euros :slight_smile:

2 Likes

in fact it’s 31 or 33,5 euro depending on the options (wired or PCB mounted). still not crazy expensive !

2 Likes

The only flaw I see in this is the use of separate HPF and LPF instead of a single knob that adjusts where the separation happens.

I get that this helps keep cost and complexity down but how big a deal is it to end up with either overlap or a hole in the middle of your sound?

I’m working off of theory and what others have written. If this isn’t such a big deal please let me know.

Actually I think I would prefer to have two parametric filters. Consider if you have some effects that you want to send everything too, but others that you only want to send the high end/low end to.

There’s no knobs for the filters. It’s at one fixed frequency for each filter that can be engaged or not. He talks a little about this in the notes . . .

http://diy.thcustom.com/?wpdmdl=3161

This type of circuit topology unfortunately doesn’t lend itself to adding a knob. Otherwise, very cool!

1 Like