Project Basses

pretty easy to do, yes !

2 Likes

Does anyone know of a place in the New York city area where one can go and build a bass from scratch? Would love to do this with some direction!

1 Like

Sorry no, but I love New York City.
I’ve only been to the USA once, and had a month holiday there and spent a week of that in NYC. A fabulous place and I’d love to go back.

1 Like

just thinking again about this. I will probably shield the Plywood Thing this way. considering the fact that the electronic cavity has a strange shape, due to all the wood work I had to do to make the think work (remember that I had to re-locate everything, including the pickup and pickguard, because of the alignement problem), the conductive paint may be my best option.

I think that, with the kind of music I play and the kind of bass tone I use, I need a serious shield. the split coil is not prone to excessive hum, but a good shield is still nice to have.

Also I wonder if the SBV is shielded. Can’t remember, the pickguard probably is but I’m not sure at all about the cavity. if I buy conductive paint, the SBV could have an upgrade by the way :grin: might also check some of my guitars …

1 Like

I don’t, but Sadowsky is based there and has one of the best bass workshops (if not THE best) in the world. Not sure if they do tours, but would be cool to see if they do.

1 Like

And Fodera is in Brooklyn, but I doubt they allow people in to make basses under their direction…

Maybe you could start with one of these, @John_E - that might give you a bit of an idea of what is involved:

(it’s a German music store, but I am sure you can find similar kits in the US. The price here is about 90 dollars).

3 Likes

Yeah, I know they won’t help you build one there. I just meant to have a tour if they let you. Could still be useful to see what they do.

2 Likes

those kits are really cool but in my opinion it’s not at all the same thing than making an instrument from scratch

2 Likes

I know :smile:But, it could be a “stepping stone” for @John_E to try some stuff before starting completely from scratch!?

4 Likes

yeah sure !

1 Like

I’ve been watching the Crimson Custom Guitars YouTube channel lately. It’s guitars, not basses but I think some of you might enjoy it:

2 Likes

Indeed I want to start from scratch, vs. a varnish and assemble kit.
My cousin (who past away) built a guitar from scratch somewhere in Brooklyn, but cannot find the name of the place.

2 Likes

this one is dutch, but google translate may help, he supports everything with calculations and all and gives good explanation

Sometimes I am just drooling behind my monitor, but honestly have no time for such this

2 Likes

@Marcel I’m getting a malware warning for that site.

not sure, nothing out of the ordinary here

me too, malware warning…

Where do you get your nut files from terb?
I look on ebay but I find the sizes quoted very confusing, and not really relating in any way to string sizes - apart from ones that are megabucks.

1 Like

I’ve thought about putting clover tuning keys on my Epiphone Thunderbird classic pro IV because the small black ones just aren’t my style. Just not sure if it would work.

1 Like

The first thing you need to check is the hole size in the headstock against the diameter of the new tuner inserts.
Then the length of the shaft on the tuner peg - so you are sure the clover leaf will clear the edge of the headstock.
Forgive me if you are already aware of this.

2 Likes

Thank you sir. I couldn’t find much information online. It would be nice if you could just search compatible tuners.

2 Likes