Project Basses

he should want to

4 Likes

The beauty of playing is that everyone gets to choose the type of music that inspires playing. And, conversely, to not play music that doesn’t.

There are plenty of styles. But not all will appeal to everyone.

1 Like

So, the Warmoth inches closer and closer to completion:

You’re looking at GOTOH tuners, a Warmoth Bass neck, a Warmoth G4 body, True Custom Shop Bright and Tight 70s pickups, and a GOTOH bridge.

All that remains is wiring up the electronics, mounting the jack, installing strings, and then setting up the neck and bridge (truss rod, intonation, etc.)

I’m taking the electronics wiring very slowly. :slight_smile:

9 Likes

Looks great, I think you should put one of these on it as an inside joke.

7 Likes

Looks great!

4 Likes

That’s close to what was my actual plan… I was going to use half the Warmoth sticker and half of a Carvin sticker to have it say “Warvin” or “Carmoth”. Not gonna do that now, not enough Carvin in it. It’s… a Warmoth.

That said, a while ago I procured a lone Carvin jack mount which I am going to use on it:

I have no idea what happened to the Carvin instrument that was serial number 66400, nor do I have any information on the instrument itself. I just happened to see the mount on Reverb one day and picked it up. So, that will be my “tip of the hat” to Carvin on this bass. :slight_smile:

7 Likes

that’s a nice little funny detail :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Landfill? :wink:

5 Likes

Guys I need some interesting idea on how to “fix” this.

I love this bass and everything about it, except this thing. Its pissing me off.

2 Likes

Maybe you shouldn’t bother too much. Wood might expand or retract and filling the gap might result in cracked finish :grimacing:
I’m not an expert on woodworking though, so if anybody feels like setting things straight…

3 Likes

Well I’m upgrading it, so I’d like it to be “perfect” to me.
It’s not that bad, but still I’m nitpicking. I would actually love to see this through.

2 Likes

It does seem normal to me. Here’s a close-up of my Sandberg :wink:
IMG-20221215-WA0011~2

3 Likes

Is the neck aligned with the pups and bridge like it should be? If so I’d leave it.

Realining/repositioning the neck to match the pocket will result in needing to realign the bridge and pups - which may mean rerouting cavities and/or the pickguard. Elsewise, if you want to fix the pocket, leaving the neck as is, you are getting into the world of shimming, filling, prepping and color matching. All doable, but results may range from fine to :face_vomiting: and there’s no guarantees unless you are @Barney

6 Likes

Neck is perfectly aligned, however I was more in a though of filling the gap with something.

Cause it seems neck pocket got sanded down a bit more than supposed.

2 Likes

that’s the pick holder

13 Likes

There is nothing to fix here.
Don’t make a problem where it isn’t.
It’s how it was built.

5 Likes

I fixed it for ya. :rofl:

If it was built it wouldnt have this gap.

4 Likes

Yeah @MC-Canadastan is on the money here @Growl. I’m sure you know this, but they make the body and the neck for most guitars using a CNC machine. They punch in the dimensions they want by downloading a file into it. The machine then spins away and cuts to those specs.

So in this case either they cut the neck pocket too big or the neck too small. Wood shrinks so if the neck wasn’t super dry it could have shrunk a little to make a gap.

Here are my 3 bolt on neck basses.

Fender P Bass (neck and body from same factory)

Ibanez Talman short scale (neck and body from same factory) cheap $200 bass

Fender Jazz bass (Parts bass. Neck and body bought separately)

So that’s it. I deal with the slight gap on my Jazz bass by never looking at it.

The irony here is that my cheapest bass has the best neck / body fit. The CNC doesn’t care which country it’s in, it only cares about the file it’s given to work with.

Oh and just to repeat my praise for your Donny Benet cover live, just fabulous. I had a big grin on my face watching that.

7 Likes

Thanks man, and yeah I guess I’ll probably have to live with the gap.

However I still think machine did the work properly, however they probably did bit too much sanding. I have also a Precision MIM, and it has perfect pocket, unlike Jazz.

4 Likes

My guess is that because the Jazz Bass is a roasted maple neck then maybe that ‘roasting’ process shrank the neck dimension slightly compared to a regular maple neck.

Anyway I don’t look at it. It’s got a lovely satin finish on the back and it’s pretty much all I play these days.

5 Likes