Project Basses

Yeah indeed, satin finishes on these Player Series are awesome.
But mine isnt roasted.

3 Likes

My Musicman stingray didn’t have it.

If it was built we wouldn’t be here discussing the gap because we couldn’t afford it. Lol.

Don’t worry about it. In the land of small relief gaps in the neck pocket, a perfect tight fitting gap could have been considered a failure, lol.

8 Likes

I had a hard time finding anything off in your picture. At first I thought you were talking about the frets. To me that gap is perfectly normal. I just checked my Jazz bass and it also has a slight gap but tbh I actually think that is on purpose because of the body shape. The cut goes deeper than on any of my other basses. With a deeper cut it also makes sense that it has a tiny bit of breathing space since it is wood? Like @Krescht said you don’t want to damage your finish either.

Think you would only mess up your resale value if you are gonna fill it up IMO.

4 Likes

I see what you did there :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

4 Likes

Did what? What? I dunno what you are talking about, :joy: :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

2 Likes

That’s true.

2 Likes

Neither does your Cutlass.

3 Likes

Yeah true both my anniversary and Feugo don’t have one too. Some do some don’t, lol.

3 Likes

To me, “built” and “assembled” are both synonyms for “made” or “put together”. But apparently, there’s a difference? What would that difference be?

6 Likes

Very subtle distinction. “Assembled” sounds more pro forma, rote, someone just doing their job on 100 basses a day. “Built” makes it sound like a labor of craft that someone put their skill in to.

But it’s very subtle and they are indeed synonyms, your understanding was correct.

7 Likes

I am considering trying to build a bass. I am probably going to use a Jackson neck. For the body I am going to have to custom make. I want one like Dana Strum used back in the day. It is kinda like a half V. They called it a shark fin or something. Any of you guys with a V willing to trace it out and send it to me? I will then make the modifications I need and go from there. Probably just a split coil pup with a volume knob. Unless one of yo have one of those basses and would send me a tracing of it, of course.

3 Likes

I guess main difference is if u think of assembly line. Bodies made in bulk, necks made in bulk. Then random neck is joined with random body.

When we say built we think of specifically making the neck for body or vice versa, so its meant for it, and it comes to be better fit.

6 Likes

Not to defend MusicMan but yours looks like the neck heel shrink as wood does when it looses moisture that how we get fret sprouts. Your bass is not new so this is a perfect explanation. Maple is notorious for this shrinkage, lol. Which reminds me have you cleaned and oiled your fingerboard yet?

5 Likes

Assemble means to put together, from preexisting parts is implied. Build means to form or craft from materials or parts, craftsmanship is implied.

You assemble a model plane. You build a house.

I wouldn’t use them as synonyms except when speaking very broadly

4 Likes

Oh wait this isnt MusicMan, Im having this gap on Jazz. And its very new. I havent even played it in properly.

Musicman is perfect.

And fretboards with lacquered maple are just getting cleaning without oiling, as far as I know.

5 Likes

I have a question that some of today’s other discussions have brought to the front of my mind.

I have a couple of 54 style P basses, with the “single” coil P pickup. None of them are single coils but that’s a tangent. They have the form factor of a single coil, and none of them have covers on the pickup.

I’m not comfortable resting my thumb on them, for one I think I may damage the pup over time and for two ergonomically they’re not comfortable.

So, what is the risks, downsides, reasons not to drill a couple of holes and add a thumbrest on my Sire D5? I put one on my Squier, or rather moved it from below to above the strings. Other than two holes, am I damaging the finish? Committing bass sacrilege and killing resale (not that I plan to)?

What are your thoughts? Sorry, not sure I wanted a new thread and this is as close to the subject as I could think

4 Likes

My thought is that I would prefer a thumb rest on such a bass. In my opinion it’s way better than using the pickup top plate as a rest.

6 Likes

Can you get a no mod thumb rest for the bass?

3 Likes
4 Likes

I asked them several times on their site about thumb rests for Sterling Ray34 and my 54p. They never responded.

3 Likes