Project Basses

Looks good!! I have a De Armond Pilot body that I bought and found a neck for it. Going to hopefully repaint it and put it together.

1 Like

Are you replacing 2 pick ups in a Ray4HH?
I get replacing 2 pickups with cheap ones, due to cost.
But if it is a single pick up, RadioTone or Kent Armstrongs or even these Wilkinson (Chinese)
Might be better.
Damn, everything has gone up in the last 2 months.
The Kent Armstrong were $52 with free ship
The Wilkinson was $30 with $15 ship
I think the RadioTone is still the same price.

That almost makes me say just get Seymour Duncan for $99
But what I would love to try
Herrick Neo-MM humbucker for 89e

I fully understand price, if on budget, I just hope the cheap Chinese pickups are better then the stock ones.

2 Likes

Hey @T_dub !

These are going into an active HH FrankenJazz with a 3-band preamp and a modern P-style neck. Same project as above.
EDIT: The reason for the switching is that I was inspired by Mark Smith’s bass and by G&L HH models. Eventually, if this works it’ll get either Seymour Duncans or Kent Armstrongs with a decent preamp.

I just want to test out the system, before I start investing serious cash.

5 Likes

That makes perfect sense. Hope it does work well.

3 Likes

Finally got a little decent weather allowing me to throw some paint at the V project. I also discovered some new paint to add a little something extra lol :joy:

All is drying nicely in the horse float . Pictures will follow once safe to do so.

7 Likes

So I’ve pulled my finger out and actually done a bit in the V bass today. Had a meltdown when I couldn’t find the neck plate and screws which turned out to be safely put in a tin on my amp :exploding_head:
Still can’t find the pickups which are no doubt very safe.
Struggling to keep the enthusiasm going for this build and still don’t really feel the love with it in my hands.
Just waiting on delivery of my “Helping Hands” before beginning the electrical work.

7 Likes

And I’ve just realised that the bridge looks squint :woozy_face:

5 Likes

Eh, if you don’t connect with it after its built, which, there is a better chance you will when it is all said and done, but if you don’t.
some lucky kid will think you are the coolest dude on the planet.

6 Likes

Thanks @T_dub

5 Likes

squint? I’m not familiar with this term.

4 Likes

adjective

SCOTTISH

1. not straight or level.

“the squint bottom edge of the puzzle”

My true heritage shining through @eric.kiser :joy:

5 Likes

Got it. It looked fine to me but it’s at a bit of an angle so I wouldn’t really be able to tell.

Do they make a two piece bridge for bass like they have for flying V guitars?

4 Likes

It does look straighter now I’ve had a good look. Think I’m just being over critical.
Don’t know about the 2 piece bridge for basses. I’ll have to investigate :nerd_face:

4 Likes

is the body drilled for thru body strings? Might need that for two pc bridge, but IDK

3 Likes

Could buy a Warwick bridge system for it :slight_smile:

would need to rout them out, they are inset into the body by about half their height, then the front piece adjusts up and down at all four corners plus the saddles (which also adjust for width).

Only problem is you need the space for it.

4 Likes

Just a plain on the body bridge @T_dub .
It’s actually a half decent bridge which is a bonus.

Love the look of that @howard . Maybe not for this build as unless my feelings for the bass change I’m not sure I want to throw that much cash at it.

Just looking at the 3 basses I never use I might sell them on and invest any profit on my famous 5 basses or even start a savings pot for one of the Bootleggers headless one :thinking:

4 Likes

I would love to get your take on that one. Might sway me if you like it

2 Likes

I just got that P bass yesterday.
Funny thing is I have played it a lot, but I have also picked up all my other basses that I don’t play daily, even the Ray34 that I have up for sale, and I am finding new love in them all.
EVEN the Ray34 with flats.
I must admit, that I never fully fell in love with this bass, and I kind of figured it was because of the neck, where my other 2, the Ray4 and Stingray SLO special both have Jazz necks, and this one has a standard Ray neck, which is closer to a P neck, with a modern C shape.
I am starting to think it is not the neck, because it is actually very comfortable, and I appreciate the wider string spacing (god I sound like Lobster LOL), so I am 100% convinced it is the flats on it.
This scares me tho, cuz if I put rounds on it, I am gonna totally fall in love with it, and I should be selling it.
Hmmmm…
Nope, probably gonna put some rounds on it and fall back in love.
Especially since it is the one I had a PLEK on, and the neck and frets just feel amazing. I just need those slippery noodles off of it, and get some barbed wire back on it.

4 Likes

In my VERY limited Ray4 and BFR HH experience I can already say that I don’t like flats on anything from MM.

And I have got to say, the build quality of the BFR Dargie is off the hook. They do so many things right on a MM. IM IMPRESSED.

4 Likes

Okay you’ve twisted my arm. I’ll try the Lemmy strings on the Ray4 when I swap the pickup which is hopefully very soon

4 Likes