Project Basses

Its heeeeeere

12 Likes

Nice! Looking forward to the assembled shot.

I also love how seeing it disembodied like that really drives home how big the Fender headstock is :rofl:

7 Likes

Its surprisingly light though. No neck diving with this one even with the tuners

I forgot to post the body blank

8 Likes

You may have mentioned this already… what kind of wood is that?

2 Likes

Mahogany

5 Likes

5 Likes

Saturday sanding.

17 Likes

Something tells me you have something very special planned for the final finish of this…can’t wait to see!

4 Likes

I really like the shape.

4 Likes

It’s based on their Talman body shape. I like offsets as well.

4 Likes

Sunday Sealer coats (the dry / cure time for Nitro means it’ll be another 3 to 4 weeks before it’s finished, so if you’re in a hurry go Poly).

5 Likes

Dumb guy question… why do you seal before finishing? Or… are you going for a natural finish?

2 Likes

Not at dumb question. I’m spraying a solid colour. So the sealer coat prevents the different parts of the wood from soaking up the colour paint at different rates. It removes the porosity and provides an even surface.

When you stain wood you use a conditioner prior to the stain to achieve same thing.

6 Likes

Do you sand in between coats of filler? Or use some powdered abrasive along with the filler to break the rising wood grain?

3 Likes

Initial sand
Pore Fill
Sand
Sealer
Sand
Colour
Sand
Clear coat
Sand
Clear coat
Sand
Etc
Buff

6 Likes

@MC-Canadastan I’m using this 3 part series as a reference. It’s excellent. They have all the answers.

4 Likes

My method below…

Initial sand
Pore Fill
Sand
Sealer
Sa…give up and buy a bass

I wish i had this zen in me, just not my bag.
Very admiring of folks who can.

6 Likes

Thank you, @Barney . My move to Saudi Oilberta is on hiatus for at least a month, so I figure I can get back to my project bass and the Mrs. won’t mind.

Just in time, this will be super useful, but Ill be using poly on mine.

4 Likes

Hey you built a stand for your preamps. It all counts :slight_smile: It’s easier when you have a workshop so that the family doesn’t have to trip over my projects.

4 Likes

Here’s the template

1 Like