Project Basses

1 Like

1 Like

Wow, seems like the two PUs are fairly far from each other and the bridge PU is very close to the bridge… should make for some gnarly tones :wink:

1 Like

I could put the Dimarzios anywhere i want on the center line but i do like the idea of having them on the S intersections.

2 Likes

If all goes right this should be the design.

More sanding to do but the body is cut

4 Likes

It’s the Moolahbass. I wonder what it will be like to hold and play. How are you planning to finish the edges?

3 Likes

I’m going to sand them down further until they’re smooth enough and rounded. I’ll need my Dremel for part of it though because the “gaps” between the S and the center line need a smaller sander. I’ve already used the belt sander and the orbital sander on the edges but they’re still not smooth enough…hand sanding is the way to go now. As for the actual edges and sides, I’ve decided to wrap it and use vinyl binding tape. It’s going to be black 3D carbon fiber vinyl and the pickguard is going to be prismatic carbon fiber.

As for the weight, it’s maybe 2 lbs right now. With the hardware the body will be closer to 4 lbs and the neck is less than that I think. I’m just hoping I don’t get neck dive. Right now it doesn’t look like it will but I’m not sure yet once I add the tuner pegs.

2 Likes

You might want to have a think about this bit @athosmr2003 - pickup placement can be quite important and make/break tone. You can do some other J bass measuring a guide. Even a 1/4”-1/2” can drastically change the sound.

5 Likes

I’m going to ask Terry at Guitar Junkyard before I make the holes for the pickups. Looks aren’t everything, which is why I added a little more to the center line, just in case the bridge pickup is too far away. They’ll fit anywhere in that center line.

5 Likes

Looks like it’s gunna cost ya BIG DOLLARS @athosmr2003 :rofl: :joy: :rofl: :joy: :rofl: :joy:
Cheers Brian

3 Likes

LOL it already has Brian!

3 Likes

Its almost like the pups on the hofner. They’re also pretty far apart.

3 Likes

The fretless neck for my 5 string Jazz bass has arrived. It’s Goncalo Alves with an Ebony finger board.

15 Likes

Woohoo i have an appointment with Terry on Saturday. Hes going to check out Jenny and is excited to see the Moolah bass.

3 Likes

That’s a damn fine looking neck @joeike

4 Likes

Thank you! I think so too.

3 Likes

I installed the new neck on my Jazz bass. I used Gotoh Resolite tuners and a Hipshot string retainer. The strings are TI Jazz Flats.

13 Likes

That is some beautiful finger board. It’s ebony?

4 Likes

Yes, it’s ebony. It looks really good.

6 Likes