Project Basses

new cosmo black hardware is not as dark as older (used same model number for order). It’s close, but slightly different. Or it somehow got darker with age.

sigh :upside_down_face: I guess I’ll use one knob for the bass or upper mids… :unamused:

4 Likes

Ok the latest on the Moolah bass. I took everything to Terry and he made several corrections. @John_E u were right about the pickup space but his main issue was overall dimensions instead of actual spacing. He liked the bridge placement but because its 34" the neck needs to go deeper into the body. The bridge pickup wasn’t off by much, less than an inch but the neck pickup has to come way down with the new neck placement. I also have less channeling to do than i originally thought, which is good but he’s worried about the body DEPTH. Its a little thinner than a typical bass even though i bought it on ebay because it said it was ideal for a bass. Terry says it should be like
1 3/4" thick but thinks it should be ok because im using a pickguard.

5 Likes

Moolah bass update

This is the final design. The only channeling I have to do is under the control panel. Terry was concerned about the depth but i plan to make a pickguard that goes under the metal control panel to help with the depth issue. More on that later.

6 Likes

Still needs sanding but the cutting is done. Took about an hour

4 Likes

Back from holiday, so back at it. Sealer coats sanded back and first coat of colour.
Pre heat can in warm water, write down time of coats so I don’t rush the process. Multiple thin layers apparently is the key.

11 Likes

I like the headstock shape!

4 Likes

I realise that the correct answer is “as many as needed” but how many coats are you envisaging? Do you think that the circa 5 coats you mentioned before will be enough?

2 Likes

Their website says 3 to 4. But I’m putting it on pretty thin because I don’t want to deal with drips.
I’ll lay the next coat on a bit thicker. I’m not in a hurry to bollox it up :nerd_face:

4 Likes

2nd colour coat.

11 Likes

Great colour choice @Barney
Definitely do thin coats. As a member of the “slap it on quick and totally bollox it up” brigade I totally agree on the softly softly approach

4 Likes

After color do you only do wet sand? Thanks.

4 Likes

Yes @Al1885 I’m only wet sanding after colour. The combination of the sealer coats and colour mean there’s no raw wood exposed that might be an issue doing a wet sand.

5 Likes

5th colour coat.

10 Likes

Definitely got a bit of workshop envy here @Barney

4 Likes

lol @Mac it was the main reason I wanted to buy the house. My wife says I hardly looked at any other rooms before saying ‘Yeah let’s buy it!’ :grin:

14 Likes

What grits are you using in what steps/coats?

3 Likes

Starting at 600 going up up to 2000. Seriously, if you’re thinking of doing a refinish then watch this 3 part video series. Absolutely everything you need is in there. It’s excellent.

4 Likes

I see no problem with that :joy:

4 Likes

That’s a good idea, I usually just wet sand after color and last clear. Not in between, I can see that it could make for better grip of costing.

4 Likes

looks really great, @Barney

4 Likes