Purchase explanations/excuses for your partner

Since there’s not really a better thread for it and a new one for this isn’t really feasable…

Got this one. And ordered a pop filter for my voice mic.
Well as it turns out the Pop Filter is utter bulldung and it was one of the few times I decided to return the order I made online. Okay so I go to the website, do everything to return my order and I will receive an email with further instructions.

The gist of the instructions were:
“You can keep it. We’ll return your money.”

So I’m not sure what to make of this. What am I gonna do with a pop filter with an arm that simply can’t be fixed in a stable way to anything?
Could be a GAS purchase excuse though.
“I returned it, but they didn’t want me to send it back.”

2 Likes

I returned it, but they felt so bad, they sent me this $900 bass instead of a refund

5 Likes

If the bass came from Fender, that’s not much of a refund as they are giving away free bass’s anyway, as we know. :joy:

6 Likes

Just happened to me with a warwick tuner!

6 Likes

If I was a retailer of musical instruments, I would include a box of chocolates, a dozen roses, or a bottle of perfume with every purchase.

Problem solved

OPTIONAL: A 30 pack of beer or bottle of wine

4 Likes

I just got $160 of in-store credit kicked back. I wasn’t complaining.

4 Likes

Love it when retailers include handwritten cards!

I don’t have a partner anymore but my excuse was always “this was a real bargain”. After that I always started about lifetime investments and comparing it with whiskey. I still call her sometimes and come up with the same excuse when I purchase something expensive. :joy:

3 Likes

To be honest, anyone having problems with their other half just isn’t trying hard enough. The secret is quantity. I’ve got around 23 guitars and four basses.

Conversation goes like this:

Her: “Is that a new guitar”?

Me: “Of course not, it’s been in the rack for years - I just fancied playing it again”

Her: “Well, they all look the same to me anyway”

Now if you’ve only got one or two guitars you are just asking for trouble because she can tell the difference with so few. Get to a critical mass of about twelve and you’re home and dry

13 Likes

“Honey, look what I won in a raffle! I knew buying all those tickets would pay off!.”

4 Likes

I’m single at the moment and I’m out of control buying the damn things so I’d probably appreciate a few looks of cold fury to keep me in check :smiley:

5 Likes

Being single really doesn’t help… Family and friends are always too kind and supportive :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

@Krescht

In that case, I’m buggered either way then :smiley:

4 Likes

Sara’s response:

“How much were the tickets?”
Me, “6 for $5.00”
“How many did you buy?”
Me, “600”

6 Likes

You: “I’m going to learn to play trombone. I’ve already got one picked out”.
Partner: “Show me”.
You: "This one ".

(Give partner a minute to rant and rave)
You: “Okay, you win. I’ll just order this $500.00 bass from Sweetwater. I’m saving us $9,349.00”.

3 Likes

I get the same thing accomplished with a link to a lowend drumkit. Eventually it is going to backfire, and I’m going to end up a intro level set of drums :disguised_face:

3 Likes

Sounds similar to the strategy I used for naming my third son.

I presented my husband with a list of four names to see if he agreed with any. Three were “ringers,” but at least two of the ringers, besides the name I preferred, would have been quite acceptable to me. The third ringer I liked less, but at least would have been alliterative with the last name (Peter Piper, for example).

I knew my husband definitely did not like one of the names (a perfectly acceptable, classic name that he had rejected for the first two sons), and would very likely reject both of the other ringers, too. This left the one I thought would work, and was one I liked. It all worked out according to my plan.
Emperor_Palpatine_everything_is_proceeding_as_I_have_forseen

Nowadays you see that name a lot, it’s almost generic, but who knew 30 years ago?
Which brings up the phenomenon of popular baby names: it’s uncanny, but seems to be a mystery as to why names are popular in a certain time period, as if the hive mind is all in tune! Sure, sometimes names from actors, movies, and books get popular, but not all of those which get popular have such an obvious source. :person_shrugging:

3 Likes

You can’t tell the story and not give out the first name, can you? I feel invested now.

3 Likes

Oh, okay - it’s Kevin. Besides the character from “Home Alone” (which I swear did not cross my mind at the time, neither was I enthralled by Macaulay Culkin who played Kevin, nor any actors named Kevin, but who knows?), now it has been used incessantly on TV in commercials, etc., so I cringe (as does my son) sometimes. I just thought it was a nice Irish name (anglicized from Caoimhín) and I have Irish ancestry.

Now, wouldn’t it have been nice to have just agreed on the name I first wanted (Andrew) and been done with it? :wink: But it’s all water under the bridge, plus “Andrew” was another that was super popular during the years when my guys were born. I did get my choice of name with #1 son, and we were in agreement for #2’s name.

I know one couple who are thinking of naming their child (if a boy) Caspian, which came out of the blue for me. I will have to ask if they were influenced by reading the “Chronicles of Narnia” books (which I have not), as there apparently was a character with that name in those books. The name Caspian seems to be quite popular now, too! This website says it “is attracting a lot of attention from cutting-edge parents these days.” So it goes! Perhaps it will be a “new classic” name, if it has staying power.

(Have I successfully derailed this thread yet?)

3 Likes

Naaah. You just switched it to a bit of a side spur. No worries.

We knew what our first was going to be named even before we knew he was going to be a boy.

Our next two, daughter and another boy, were named for good and all a month and a monthe and a half after birth. We were trying names on for size :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Whew, don’t remind me of the struggle for #1’s name. It was just one in a long list, but the more I thought about it, the more I really, REALLY liked it. AND the more my husband did not. Back and forth we went, baby was born and we were in the hospital for a few days. Staff wanted us to give the child a name. Husband went to work, my mother came to visit, and she told me to stand up for myself and pick the name I wanted. Hubby shows up, I said I know what to name the baby, he says what, and I said the name. Waterloo over, Napolean defeated. He accepted it. But enough about all that.

Last year, the Washington Post had an article about changing a baby’s name ( ‘He is not a Joshua’: When you pick the wrong name for your baby) to one that suited the child better. If you can’t read it, try another browser and experiment with the scripts. I have had success with the Brave browser for some reason.

2 Likes