Random Fun Polls

These are just for fun, answer as many or few as you like! Add more if you want. Yeah, some of these technically could have more choices, or more detailed explanations than just one choice. You can comment about it.

Been playing bass for (first picked up a bass, __ years ago):

• 0-1 year
  • 2-3 years
  • 4-10 years
  • 11-25 years
  • more

0 voters

Beginner to Badass:

• thinking about taking it
  • in the middle of the course!
  • grad

0 voters

Can play other instruments:

• yes
  • no

0 voters

Most of my gear bought:

• new
  • used

0 voters

Most gear purchased:

• in person

0 voters

Preferred bass:

• 4 strings
  • 5 strings
  • other

0 voters

I practice playing bass:

• regularly
  • wish I did regularly!

0 voters

Sucks worse on fretting hand:

• ring finger
  • pinky finger

0 voters

Billie Jean:

• curse her!
  • made me a badass (eventually)
  • who?

0 voters

Music theory:

• hate it, next question
  • love it, it’s the best!

0 voters

Read music by:

• sheet music
  • tablature
  • ear

0 voters

Fave scale:

• major
  • minor
  • other

0 voters

Slap bass:

• heck yeah!
  • not my thing

0 voters

End up playing bass:

• more to the beat, with the drummer
  • more to the melody, with the guitar
  • solo, baby!

0 voters

Need an advanced beginner / intermediate course:

• still working on B2B!
  • yes
  • no

0 voters

9 Likes

That was fun… bump.

5 Likes

Nice poll.
It would be cool if the “other” choice could offer a “write in answer”
Some I could only answer “ to best answer”. Like I would say both 4 and 5 string, but picked 4 cuz it’s my go to bass, although I love my 5 string, possibly more.I am just “ not there” yet.

Thanks for the fun.

2 Likes

I skipped a couple questions because none of the choices suited me. A write in would have been handy.

6 Likes

Some of the results surprise me, and some are expected. I was surprised (and pleased) to see the high number of people who love music theory. Not surprised at the high number of people who use tablature instead of sheet music, since so many here are beginners.

6 Likes

As a side note, as I go thru the course a 2nd time, I am going to “Try” to get more familiar with sheet music reading as opposed to tabs. However, as I go thru it with my daughters, I may stick with tabs for them while they first go thru the course.
But I do plan to get there one day, sooner then Later I hope.

Plus I said I can play other instruments, but out of practice, and not well, so It was a “kind of” yes

5 Likes

It was the same with me. I could probably muddle through if you put a drum kit in front of me, or handed me a trumpet. But for the sake of full honesty, I said no to that question.

4 Likes

The reason I said yes is because I used to play guitar, and it most certainly gave me an advantage as I progressed thru B2B

I played drums, trumpet and viola a year each in grades 3,4 and 5, but I would say “no” for those.

4 Likes

Sort of designed it that way, so you’d be forced to pick, rather than too many "both"s or "other"s :slight_smile: That, and just made these up pretty quickly, probably missed some answer choices!

Can always comment about it, get some discussion going, lol!

2 Likes

no question about the pick :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

Feel free to add more polls! Use the gear icon, and drop it down. Here’s some more:

Plucking hand preference:

• finger plucking
  • playing with a pick
  • slap/pop/tap/other

0 voters

Like to play:

• standing
  • sitting

0 voters

Have a bass idol(s) that I aspire to play like:

• yes
  • no

0 voters

Prefer hearing my bass playing through:

• amp
  • headphones

0 voters

Fave bass playing:

• covers
  • original songs

0 voters

Prefer:

• active bass
  • passive bass

0 voters

4 Likes

Even more!:

I am mostly learning bass:

• just for fun!
  • want to play in a band/with others
  • have other goals/milestones

0 voters

I currently own:

• 1 bass
  • 2 basses
  • 3-5 basses
  • 5+

0 voters

Recording myself:

• yes
  • not for me

0 voters

Like to play:

• totally sober
  • after some “refreshments”

0 voters

My family / friends / neighbors are mostly ______ of my bass playing.

• supportive
  • not supportive

0 voters

Learning basslines:

• hear them in my head
  • sing/hum them out loud
  • other

0 voters

Pedals:

• love 'em
  • don’t use

0 voters

Bass setups:

• do myself
  • let someone else do it
  • need a setup bad!

0 voters

4 Likes

I am literally 50/50 on plucking/picking (I have one bass that I mostly pluck, and one I mostly pick.) But I went with pick because no one else had yet, lol.

Also, I have multiple bass idols - Peter Hook, Kiyoshi, Chris Wolstenholme, Simon Gallup, Simon Raymonde, F-Chopper Koga, Kim Deal, etc. But I don’t aspire to play like any of them. My style is probably closest to Gallup or Raymonde. So I said “No.” :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Just entered my data into your polls, @vik

Some interesting questions there! :+1:

Cheers, Joe

3 Likes

The question about playing sober or after some refreshments needs another choice “Either”. That’s the one I would have chosen.

7 Likes

Love the polls you made too - that Demographics one is really the king of Bassbuzz polls!

Okay, me too admittedly. Was just trying to be a good boy and so I chose the sober answer, but after some morning refreshments, I’m feeling the other answer now :stuck_out_tongue:

Yeah, I like both styles too, the pick could use some support in the polls right now. Let’s see if some more voters turn out!

3 Likes

Gonna seize on the popularity of Joe’s @Jazzbass19 demographics poll and bump this one up again too! Check his out too, the questions are at the very top of these threads:

4 Likes

I was surprised to see a majority said slap bass wasn’t their thing. Definitely not my thing. I figured I’d get flamed if I said it out loud. Lol!!!

6 Likes

It’s fun, and I love hearing it, but I suck at it :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Some real interesting stuff there :ok_hand:
A couple of either options would have been nearer to the truth for me .
Think I pondered on the music theory question the longest because I don’t know enough about it yet to hate it or love it lol

3 Likes