Rocksmith+

So far on bass, I’ve only used standard notation to work from books and I do enjoy that, but I come from an orchestra background so I like reading sheet music :slight_smile: I find that the different ways of playing music, whether it’s from tab, standard notation, rocksmith/yousician, or improvising over chords all require different thought processes and skills so I find them all valuable.

3 Likes

Yep! They are all tools to help understand music. I don’t get why anyone would dislike any of them. I love them all :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I only read tab but I honestly envy anyone who can read music. To me it has always been the proper way to do it

1 Like

It’s well worth learning because of the insight into tempos. Plenty of tabs with timing info in them but standard notation gives you a nice vocabulary to describe the various tempos and note durations that carries over to tabs quite nicely.

2 Likes

I keep dabbling @howard but to be honest it doesn’t seem to lodge in my head.
As my school reports used to say “ must try harder “ !

1 Like

I don’t read music, and probably never will. I’m dyslexic, and musical notation confuse the heck out of my brain, I do okay on tabs, as they are numbers, which I can read.

But think of Danny Kaye, who was also dyslexic and couldn’t read music. But he could conduct an orchestra and had a long music filled career. Reading music is just a thing. Sky’s the limit.

2 Likes

That’s totally understandable.

It’s all tools to communicate the music in a visual way. Whatever works is fine. There’s no absolute need to learn standard notation at all, for bass anyway.

1 Like

How did I miss this thread? Are they still accepting sign ups for the Beta test? I couldn’t find it if they are.

1 Like

Since this thread started, RS2014 has gone on sale twice on Steam :slight_smile:

$14 last time, one and done. No recurring sub. Thousands of songs online.

It’s back up to its normal price now ($35), but a great deal compared to the recurring sub on the new one.

2 Likes

No, the open Beta has finished, so even those of us that were invited no longer have access.

I was surprised they ended it so quickly.

2 Likes

No, the beta is done, it was only like 4 weeks long or so (something that is quite usual nowadays in game development, time limited betas. Most are even shorter, only two weeks max, maybe only a weekend).

Release should be “this summer”.
Which usually means it is right before fall starts, at the earliest.

Regarding songs: They stated they want to be able to have all songs that were in the previous Rocksmith also in the new one, but they won’t be able to have it right from the start.

The song list that they have will make or break the subscription for me.

For comparing to the price of the old Rocksmith to the new one, keep in mind that 35$ will only buy you a limited amount of songs, the major part comes with DLCs that also need to be purchased (or, yeah, you can check the CDLCs, which are free, but this is a gray area).

2 Likes

You can also pay an additional $12 and import your own music, I think. Plus the CDLC’s.

I got it for $14; don’t really play much though.

edit: nope, the tool is for importing RS1 tracks. Oh well.

2 Likes

The 12$ is if you have the first Rocksmith to import the music that was in here and wasn’t in Rocksmith 2014.

Importing your own music is something they cannot allow, because of licensing issues.

3 Likes

Yeah that makes sense.

2 Likes

Oh well. Thanks everybody.

I’m going to go a different direction with the pricing on this. Assuming this is something you would use, $100 a year isn’t such a bad deal. Considering a single in person lesson can also cost a $100.

But, like many of you said, it’s really going to depend on what’s in the song library.

1 Like

For context RS2014 has about 1500 official for download and many many more CDLC.

Obviously the community DLC quality will vary. It’s kind of like free tabs.

3 Likes

I got into the beta last 2 weeks of it. Then went away for over a week and it was shut down when I returned. I was enjoying it too.

But same, same… It depends on how many songs are available if it’s worth the $100 a year.

Chris

2 Likes

Rocksmith + on hold it seems like…

1 Like

So it is released now.
It gets a lot of backlash because the song library is not what people expected, it is right now not as big as it should be, and lots of big names are missing.

I got the subscription anyway, and there are some features that I like very much. For example, one thing that is seen by many as a flaw, that not every song in the library has an arrangement, but only chord charts, can be really fun on bass.

You get the chord charts and improvise your own bassline over it. Though admittedly, my imrovising consists mainly of playing the root to everything, with maybe a fifth or octave sprinkled in.

Right now, I was experimenting with their workshop, tried around with creating an arrangement for Gary Numan - Metal.
Seems to be pretty straight forward to create something, but there is nowhere an notation feature to be seen. So if you want notation, Rocksmith+ is currently a bad choice.

The learning part seems to be quite decent, much better than in RS2014. There are also some exercices which might be nice for warmup.

I think it can evolve into something very useful and a great learning tool, but right now, if you don’t like the limited song library, you might want to hold out.

3 Likes

I can’t figure out a connection that doesn’t have a bunch of lag.

Hopefully an update comes out to improve it as Youscian (or any other music program) has zero lag on this computer.

1 Like