SAG - Selling Aquired Gear

This has been the story of my life for the past 3.5 years… G.A.S - S.A.G, G.A.S -S.A.G! I’ve even bought and sold the same bass twice!
I’ve paid a fortune in seller fees and shipping. :scream_cat:

3 Likes

Thanks, Eric. I had started a SAG - Selling Acquired Gear thread and asked @JoshFossgreen to kibosh it.

3 Likes

Woot! Consistency FTW! :smiley:

2 Likes

Well said. I find I tend to do my first sale with a vendor on Reverb.** If that goes well, I’ll switch to contacting them through their own website or email for subsequent purchases. Usually results in a shipping discount or 5% off the top, something like that, especially if I can prove that I’m a good customer over time.

**I sometimes wonder if this is overly cautious… but my partner narrowly avoided losing money to a fraudulent buyer of a synth he was selling. Reverb caught & cancelled the transaction and suspended the person’s account before my husband shipped it, thank god.

4 Likes

I just received an email from Reverb saying the following:

So that’s kinda cool.

6 Likes

Yeah I got it too, but I already knew about it from watching the news.
I’m still not concerned about it as everything I’ve sold (or will sell) will be at a net loss. I would think the same applies to just about everyone here.

2 Likes

As long as you document it that way, then it is that way.
My mom sells on ebay all year long as her retirement gig.
She ‘documented’ everything this year for this.
Made a tidy $7 profit when all is said and done, at least according to her spreadsheet.

3 Likes

So, my Warmoth project didn’t work out. If anyone is looking for a Warmoth G4 body or a Warmoth bass neck at a discount, hit me up. I’m looking to sell the ones I have. Pictures of them are in the “Project Bass” thread. They’ve been assembled and disassembled, but they’ve never been strung or played. The body cavities have been painted with conductive paint, and it has an installed jack plate. The truss-rod cover has been installed on the neck. Other than that, they are in mint condition.

If you’re interested, let me know. I haven’t listed them yet, but will do soon if there’s no interest here.

EDIT: Of course, I have a GOTOH bridge and GOTOH tuners I’d be happy to include as well, both brand new, both installed on the Warmoth stuff, neither strung or played.

4 Likes

@JustTim can you post a link? Im not finding the pictures?

1 Like

How about just the pics? I can get more detailed pics of you want.

5 Likes

I sold one of my Schecters, the Stiletto Custom 4. I took a pretty big loss on it, but there’s a story.

So, someone reached out to me, said she wanted to buy it for her husband who wasn’t in the best of health and was living on a fixed income. She offered me a very low price, which I refused. I was a little touched, so replied with a discounted price. She thanked me but said they couldn’t afford it.

A couple of days later, she reached out again, said that she had some family members chip in, because she really wanted her husband to have it. The amount she offered was still less than the discounted price I gave her, but she seemed really genuine. And the thought of giving some old dude in bad shape the bass he wants at a great deal was softening me up. So I took the offer, and she said her husband would come pick it up. In the back of my head I was thinking, "I need to watch this… if the husband is in such poor condition, why is he coming to pick it up?

The husband came to pick it up today after going to a doctor’s appointment. He was, in fact, old and a bit frail looking. But his eyes lit up when he saw it. He said his family had saved up enough money to get him a Squier Bronco, and he was overjoyed that I worked with his wife so he could get this one.

So… I took a loss, but I feel happy about it. I feel like I did a good deed. :slight_smile:

22 Likes

Good on ya mate @JustTim .
Money pales into insignificance sometimes

7 Likes

good deeds is why karma exists

8 Likes

Well done. An instrument is meant to bring joy, and this one did. Kudos.

6 Likes

This is awesome. I would have thought a scam for sure. Nice to see there are decent people out there. Well done sir on helping this dude.

6 Likes

The wife sent me an OfferUp message a short bit ago, thanking me again and telling me how much her husband loves the bass.

:heart:

9 Likes

You’re a good dude Tim. :+1:

8 Likes

Think how good you would feel if you gave him your Carvin…

6 Likes

Way to go @JustTim . Karma will make up for the loss.

6 Likes

That was very generous of you.
Did you mention B2B? Assuming the guy isn’t a badass already, he should join us - or even if he is, we welcome everybody here :smile:
Or at least the free Josh content on youtube might be pretty helpful if he’s rusty

7 Likes