Shall I contact this band?

Same here. You can learn much from just playing with other people even if you never do an actual gig.

6 Likes

Okay another update today.

Today we cleaned the practice room and roughly set up. We could still not really play at least not with drums and monitors so we didn’t really play.

I played a song with the other guitarist who… is the way I expected a guitarist to be. His name is Kai and he is the guy who gets picked on. So lemme walk you through my experience of playing with Max, the other guitarist and then I’ll talk about the experience with Kai.

Max offers to play slower but I say except for the intro I’m good. Maybe I fudge that but apart from that the normal speed should be okay.
He taps in with his foot and we start playing.
Some transitions I missed or did to early but he just kept playing the way the song goes. It was nice.

Then playing with Kai.
“Okay, then shall we play that one song together one time?”
“Yeah okay.” and frigging starts playing but extreeeeeeeeeeemely slow
“Eh… don’t you wanna… y’know… count in? ah, forget it. I just join the second time around.”
“what?”
“forget it. I just join in.”
and he restarts.
we get out of the first verse to the pre-chorus and… I lose my rythm.
“Could it be… that you got so much slower after we got out of the verse?”
He shrugs and says “could be.”
Shortly after I gave up playing with him without something adding rythm.
Just lemme say I can understand that this person needs a teacher more than I do. Not saying I would not benefit from it, but still… Should be good as full band still anyway I just won’t play with Kai alone anymore.

Max seems to be more of a songwriter than Kai anyway and as long as I can play with a drumbeat I can just ignore the treble up there :stuck_out_tongue:

Oh something I remembered and wanted to mention: The skill level was not important but as a U30 band they didn’t want 50+ members. Sorry guys :wink: Just wanted to put this out there as I don’t know who is interested but someone asked about the skill level.

7 Likes

That’s it @juli0r,
Lock in to the root notes and the percussion when you get it, the guitarists will do their own thing, you got to lock into the drummer, kick snare high hat, that’s all it is for bassists.
Easy peasy :+1::sunglasses:
Cheers Brian

6 Likes

Yeah, like I said - just play with drums and ignore the guitar treble :wink:
Well… I often play the melody together with the guitar. As said - the music isn’t written by a bassist and it shows.

Not saying it was a problem. Just was astonished at the level the guitarist is at. Like I suspected him to play better with others. It was a weird experience for me. He was about as steady rythmically as me back in the day as guitarist when not trying to play with other people but just for myself. Even back in the day I would have been more consistent on guitar than he was when playing with others. Then again it wasn’t the original tempo as he thought he would do me a favor by slowing it down. Maybe he would’ve been more consistent in the original tempo.

4 Likes

And you where a little shy about your own abilities, sounds like you have them covered, confidence plus​:+1::+1:
I liking it😎
Cheers Brian

5 Likes

Another update!

We have set up the practice space!
We have our Behringer X32 Rack and an app on our smartphones so everyone can individually adjust their mix.

I still need some form of ear protection. Some of the band have really expensive in-ear headphones including sound filters (or blockers - you can choose what to put in), but they are really expensive. Like 250€ or something for individually shaped earpieces. I think I’ll put that on my “what presents do I want for my birthday because I’m gonna be asked”-List. Yeah it would be easier to just call it a wishlist. But you know us Germans - we like to be correct. (Not necessarily right - but correct)

So we played as full band today! YAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!
We started later and the setup took a while so we didn’t play that much but it was awesome to hear the full band.

Okay it was awful too because I could not use my filters since I had to use headphones for the monitor but just beacuse it was too loud. Apart from that it was awesome.

I’m thinking of bridging the time until my birthday with construction site ear protection. Those huge over-ear protectors. Then I can put the in-ear phones underneath and everything should be peachy.

9 Likes

Hey Julian,
Sounds great, ear plugs will work fine until you get your Wishlist taken care off?
Any hearing protection is better than no protection :+1:
Glad you enjoyed it.
Cheers Brian

4 Likes

No. The monitor system works with headphones so I have normal in-ear headphones and can’t use the filter earplugs I already bought.

So I don’t have any protection.

2 Likes

You need to get this issue sorted or you could risk long term hearing loss, you only get one set of ears, they are a little like your eyes my friend :+1:

4 Likes

Completely agreed!
That’s why I’m looking for a in-between solution before spending the 250€ and also it probably takes a bit of time to measure & fit them exactly.

4 Likes

Bahahahaha :joy:

4 Likes

“I’ll just get some small things that I really need”

sigh The money! My shiny things… all gone…

Headphone Amp (the one Josh recommends) for home practice. I could use the DAI but I would enjoy walking around more so I think it’s a good investement.
Construction Site Ear protection
Not super cheap but cheap Sennheiser In-Ear phones as monitor until I get the custom plugs.

…and multivitamin fizzy tablets for my gf.

Every item around or over 20€.

3 Likes

Which one is it? The DAI has to be plugged to the pc unfortunately, I’m in the market for a headphone amp

4 Likes

Vox AmPlug 2. From the Gear video.
Video with timestamp:

1 Like

Ahhh that one. Thought you were refering to a desktop amp :stuck_out_tongue:

Anyway, that one is on my list already, but I had a similar one in the past (can’t remember the brand) and wasn’t very happy with it.

4 Likes

Josh said there are many cheaper models but this one would provide a good sound. So I opted for this although it’s more like 40€ than 20€. There are some on amazon for 20€ but I avoided them for that reason.

3 Likes

Yeh and for a portable thing it’s a good option. But I want something to connect to my amp. I have that problem with the low volume on my AKG’s, remember?

4 Likes

Yes.
And it still confuses the hell out of me compared to my Sennheisers.

The Band (the individual monitors are basically all headphone amps) uses Behringer PowerPlay P1. I had normal In-Ear Headphones like you’d use for smartphones and such and set the volume below 10%.

But I think it’s a bit overkill and you probably can find a cheaper solution.
It would work with the Line out and headphones.

3 Likes

Could you not use the DAI and Bluetooth headphones? I guess then you would need a wireless system.
But being in a band you may want to invest in a wireless system. So instead of a headphone amp, put that money to wireless, then do Bluetooth headphones to the computer.
Just thinking out loud, there might be 100 reasons why that’s a poor idea, I am just not thinking of any right now.
I am sure you guys can help with that. :thinking:

4 Likes

I haven’t jumped into this thread, and what I have to say here is not at all relevant to the latest posts…
But I just LOVE watching these musical connections present themselves, someone takes the chance, and we all get to vicariously live the experience of a session/band forming/rehearsal/jam session/open mic - whatever.

Thanks for sharing, @juli0r, and more power to any and all of y’all who step out and make music with folks.

7 Likes