Short Love

7 Likes

Now that’s a finish.

3 Likes

I may not be a fender guy per se but I looovveee these

7 Likes

Cool shape! Never heard of Indian laurel fretboard before.

4 Likes

It’s being used quite a bit now after CITES added all types of rosewood to their endangered list particularly to prevent further deforestation in South American rainforests

4 Likes

Ooo – It’s almost the return of the JagRay… (Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass Special HB)! I will say though, mine (from 2010) can make all kinds of cool noises with its 3-way circuit. And the one I have is full scale… which I like because I’m an introvert and it forces people to stand further away ;D

Kidding aside, I hope these end up being as valued on the entry-level scene as mine apparently ended up. The model I have started at a retail price in the 200’s and I’ve seen them go as high as 500.

6 Likes

Sick, I love that blue one, and with the MM style pick up, I could see having one of these someday

2 Likes

I’ve been negotiating on Reverb with a seller for one of these for the past few weeks. $100 off the sticker price and free shipping. So $450 all in, no tax. I mean it would be immoral NOT to do it right?

8 Likes

I would do it. Free shipping makes the $450 a good deal, if it was not free shipping, I would have said maybe $400. But it looks clean, is a great bass, and you will probably love it, sy, yeah, maybe not quite immoral, but it would be a crime not to.

4 Likes

Yeah the video isn’t the actual bass, It was just an example. It’s brand new from MM. So I think the price is right. If I don’t like it, I could flip it and not take a bath. But I suspect that it’ll be a keeper.

3 Likes

Thats my guess

2 Likes
6 Likes

Trip.
They just look like a modified Travelers Bass. or is it Sternberg that popularized that headless rectangle body bass?
I can’t stand those headless square body basses, even after seeing Bomer and Joe Raposo from RKL, and even Fat Mike punking out on them back in the early 80’s. I still don’t care for the look.

Fat Mike 1983
92005FF1-021F-4C2A-8206-A287B28AC857

9BF41765-99F5-457E-863A-2B06F9726306_4_5005_c

4 Likes

@howard what do you think of the Eastwood Classic compared to the Gretsch semi-hollow?

3 Likes

No idea! Looks cool though, would love to hear one.

3 Likes

I was a 30min drive from buying the Gretsch. Then I found the Italia in stock and took a chance and figured I only needed one hollow body (for now). Other than a vintage Vox (which I opted to hold out for if I add another to the collection) to me the Gretsch is the best one out there today.

6 Likes

Yeah I am pretty sold on the Gretsch (either the 5440 or 5442 really) from what I have seen.

3 Likes

Are you bass-ing (haha) your last statement, about the Gretsch being the best one out there on your experience with your purchase, receipt and subsequent repairs on the Italia, or on its construction, or on your time playing it vs playing the Gretsch?
I am just curious why you stated the one you did not buy to be the better of the two? Obviously you “Took A Chance” on the Italia, are you thinking it did not pay to take that chance?

2 Likes

Well, they were both going to be a bit of a chance cause I wasn’t able to play either. I have played most other available hollow bodies and a few vintage and the only one I really liked was a Vox Sidewinder (actually loved) but it had major issues and mint ones for for $4000. I don’t care for the Guild or Lakland, and was going to head to Brooklyn to try the Gretsch and finally found the Italia in a shop online on about page 13 of a Google search.

So will try to go play the Gretsch. I’m only going based on video tone and general specs at this point.

4 Likes

Yeah, for a $1000-$1500 bass I would not want to buy before trying. The only reason I would even consider it is I could probably turn a profit on resale here (they are $1700 new in the one store that has them here.)

2 Likes