Short Love

I didn’t watch it all, what is their idea of affordable. they sound great, and look cool as hell. I have not gotten myself to get into SS or even medium scales yet, but I could see giving one a try soon, just to do something different.

I have that Ibanez Mikro, but it is SSS, Super Short Scale, and in my hands, its like a ukulele. I like the body size on these

1 Like

My SWB-1 will cost 530 pounds. At the current exchange rate to US dollars, that’s $715, plus $66.50 shipping.

I’ve done a ton of research on the SWB. To me, the apparent build quality, the materials and components used, the attention to detail, the cool ass design, the versatile tonal range, the apparent ergonomics, and the SOUNDS sold me. Oh, hells yes!

Scott Whitley is a pro player who loves short scales. His design is a culmination of features he couldn’t find in one package during the many years he played and explored all the major offerings out there.

The Chowny SWB short scale, especially the latest, evolved version being built now in a small factory in England (not China, Indonesia or India), checks all the boxes for me, but I dig short scales.

By the way, it’s worth watching the Andertons video all the way through. The two mofos in it are killer players and they explore the SWB’s features and tones in a seriously entertaining way. The smiles on their faces when they play ‘em say it all.

I have no affiliation with Chowny and receive nothing from them. All the above are solely my impressions and opinions of the SWB. Fingers crossed I’m right!

1 Like

I meant to say that the 530 pounds price is the old price.

It will go up soon to offset the more expensive manufacturing costs and better quality control gained by Chowny building their basses in England instead of oversees.

1 Like

These look great

3 Likes

Looks interesting. Ordering from them is a breeze

2 Likes

Looks like my Sire U5 at unboxing. But I have since upgraded mine with Hipshot USA UltraLite tuners and an Albridge Bell Bronze bridge.

I haven’t heard any need to upgrade the pups, though. The stock Sires are hot and pumping just fine.

6 Likes

I actually got rid of mine was not playing much. But awesome bass guitar. I have other Short scale basses that i play alot more. Sold it off to have a custom short scale built by Steve Mcdonald. He’s probably least expensive Luthier builder at moment. Have a custom from CB basses but his prices have come way up.

Love my short scales basses.

5 Likes

I really dig my Sire U5, especially with the mods. I have a SBMM shorty, too. Great little basses.

2 Likes

Not my favorite but flamed neck :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

Love the Short scale but 3K little bit on high side. Active electronics would be kool. Going to see if i can drop a John east pre amp on my short scale EBMM. Need to route out for battery compartment. Waiting for my custom to be done 1st.

3 Likes

Hi! Does anybody here have any experience with vintage Japanese KAY Kb-2 short scale basses? I know they aren’t exactly high-end but as far as a fun short scale bass, perhaps with flatwounds… I’m a bedroom bass player.

6 Likes

New to me, very vintage-y. I like it :ok_hand:

3 Likes

The bedroom is a great bass venue.

3 Likes

Never heard of it but if it was a MIJ from that era it is likely high quality and may even be Hoshino or FujiGen. Apparently Kay was an American company that did an import/rebranding business.

3 Likes

Yeah, no. I’ll stick with my SBMM short scale. It’s a killer.

1 Like

you mean this sone . . . ?

4 Likes

Maybe you can help me identify this short scale bass. I have not been able to find it on the net, with two identical pickups, with the large screws on the bridge unlike Epiphone’s, … I’d appreciate some help.

1 Like

Yep, that’s a Chowny SWB-1. But it’s an older model as evidenced by the solid body paint and matching headstock. The latest models are all satin finished: either clear coat or translucent blue over Ash. And all headstocks on these standard SWBs are natural clear coated; no longer painted.

2 Likes

@howard The KAY plays well, seems to be working fine, it’s just that they want $500 USD for it… The blue/black bass is just odd. I haven’t been able to identify it.

3 Likes

There is something very similar for sale locally (Japanese no-name) for $150. These are very “dime a dozen” from what I can see.

3 Likes