Short Love

@TNKA36 Thank You! Great cover! Your bass sounds really nice. Flatwounds? Your’s is a classic Mustang. The one I’m being offered has the PJ configuration and seems to be a little different but it is a great reference.

2 Likes

Welcome, @Alan. I hope you find your lefty shorty.

Now pop on over to the Introduce Yourself thread so the B2B family can give you a big welcome to the group?

2 Likes

@Alan, here’s a link to a Sire Marcus Miller U5 in stock at Thomann Music.

It’s a great short scale bass. Great woods, finish, build, and electronics. It plays fantastically.

You get a whole lot of value for not a lot of money.

4 Likes

@Mac The main reason I don’t like the Kay is just a tone issue. It’s great and works well but I love p-basses and my best bass is a G&L Tribute L-2000 which I really like. I think the G&L and the Mustang would make nice contrasts in tone. I don’t want three basses and I would have to pay $350 US dollars for the exchange. It currently sells new for $750 (on sale) at Sweetwater. Seems fair after doing some research and after all I exchanged a watch I never wore for the Kay.

4 Likes

For now i think this is my top choice, i will still wait and see and few days to see if there are any contenders for this bass but i kinda wanted to have a higher built. For my long scale i have a Squier 70s and i am tired of the plastic finish and plastic knobs :frowning:

3 Likes

The knobs on the Sire U5 are metal and feel high-end. The neck is Satin finished on the back and glossy on the fretboard. The neck edges are rolled for extra comfort. I own one of these and I’d put it and its features up against any other short scale, especially at this price point.

4 Likes

alright so i guess there’s a bunch of LH shorty’s :rofl: :rofl:

2 Likes

Looks like this is gonna be the one then… :smiley:

So you’d say that the U5 takes the crown for the best budget short scale ( left handed bass ) and beats higher built basses?

just for my knowledge, what’s the premium or mid budget bass king if there are any ?

2 Likes

I’m not claiming the Sire U5 beats custom basses, but it does offer great features and tones at its comparatively low price point. I’ve also got a Sterling short scale that is great for the money ($100 more than the Sire U5), but I got it for its Stingray voice.

The Sire U5 is pretty unique: a versatile P/J setup in a modern Jazz guitar with a fast and comfortable C neck. Again, a WHOLE lot of value for the money.

You can always spend more, but you would need to have reasons why. Prestige? Specific woods? Specific finish, hardware, electronics, neck profile, or body shape? Those are all options available in higher-end basses. You just have to pay for them.

2 Likes

At about $2k, the Spector Bantam is phenomenal. Punchy, focused, and those curves just fit my fat belly making it so easy to play. It is on my short list.

2 Likes

yeah, i’m a stingray guy and both the SBMM and high end EBMM would get my vote.

2 Likes

Yep, I got my SBMM for the Stingray’s signature sound. Its neck is quite a bit thicker than my Sire U5’s, but still comfortable.

But the Sire U5 has an Alder (brighter tone) body versus the Sterling’s Indonesian Mahogany (darker tone) body. There’s a marked difference in weight.

They both have 1.5” nut widths and 30” scale lengths, but they feel and play differently from each other. If I could magically meld all their tones and feels into one short scale, I would.

2 Likes

Ok ok i see.

I wanted to compare the Sterling short scale and the U5 but looks like there aren’t any seller in europe, or i must be blind

2 Likes

https://youtu.be/cFmPV8HbCO8

2 Likes

Here’s the closest thing I found.

Not a short scale Sterling, but it is left-handed. Price is cheap, and Thomann offers a 30-day trial.

I bought my Sire Marcus Miller U5 and M5 basses from Thomann. Super-fast delivery (4 days from Germany to my door in Texas!).

3 Likes

@Alan, @itsratso, @MikeC
The short scale Ernie Ball Sting Ray (EBMM) isn’t currently offered in a left handed model. I don’t see any mention of a left hand version of the Sterling Stingray Short Scale (SBMM), either.

2 Likes

@Alan How about a G&L Tribute Series Fallout Short Scale Bass? LH comes in Candy Apple Red!

In addition to the G&L Tribute Fallout, Ibanez miKro, and Sire U5 already mentioned, other lefties in SS:

Good luck in your search! Hope you can find some short scales to try out.

6 Likes

Thanks for the advices !

The g&l sounds great but it looks like the ergonomic is weird in my opinion ? The bass is kinda big for a short scale and that’s kind a deal breaker for me :confused:

The Eastwood Warren ellis looks awesome i will look into it ! Any idea when it come out/re-stock ?

3 Likes

outstanding work :+1:

3 Likes

the idea behind the g+l was to keep a full size bass body (for people that like the ergo’s) and throw on a smaller neck.

2 Likes