Show us your amps

800W is overkill? glad i didn’t get this then. $450 bux, unbelievable.

3 Likes

somebody has a killer 800 watt Bugera head with a 2x12 cab on sale for really cheap, like $400 or less IIRC. Tempted, but I am really just looking for a practice amp. I am good for anything I would need outside the house, up to a decent sized club (not that I am going to be doing that any time soon / ever), so it doesn’t make logical sense.
Course, I have been known to bend logic to suit my needs a time or two. a time or a thousand. :thinking: :wink:

2 Likes

So, I bought an ORANGE CRUSH 20b used, but like new, on Offer Up for $40 a while back. I really liked the amp, great sound, cute little practice amp, and well, yes, it was ORANGE.

I loved it, it was just what I needed at the time, worked great.

Fast forward, and I brought this home, put it in my rotation of daily players, and in a short while, it became my #1 bass.

I didn’t notice it at first, as I mostly was playing thru my zoom with headphones, but then I started playing on the amp more, and when I would play with the Ray 4, the sound was distorted on the E and some of the A strings. Even if I turned the volume down and cut the bass all the way, no matter what, I couldn’t get a clean tone from the amp with the stingrays, any of them.
I then noticed, some of my other basses would distort a little on open E and the first few frets if I cranked the bass and volume from the bass.

So, I sold it about 2 months ago now, for profit. I bought for $40, and sold for $120, and $80 profit. Well, I was not holding it for profit, but going to use it to buy another smaller practice amp. I Love my bigger amps. but too much to sit next to it and play, the 15" speaker is a little muddy in close quarters, but I have been using it.

I was looking for an amp with a 10" speaker and around 75w of up.
I have seen a lot of contenders, but many were 2x10", or 12", or 4x10". A lot of nice amps out there, but nothing with a single 10" and the right wattage, and / or headphone jack.
Like this is sweet, I would love to have it, but it goes against the SMALL PRACTICE AMP that I really am looking for. This was very hard to resist.

I have watched it go from $400 to $350 to $300 to $200 to now $175.
But I resisted, even tho I wanted it so bad, it was not a small practice amp and it doesn’t even have a headphone jack, so not practical. that has not stopped me before, so this is progress.

So, waiting has paid off.
My phone was charging, and I was practicing and doing lessons online all morning, well, and on the forum some.
I got up to get something to drink, and got my phone from across the room after it fully charged, around 11am. within about 5 minutes, I stumbled across a post that at the time, was posted for sale 23 minutes before I looked at my phone.

I didn’t see any from the picture, but it was not fully clear, so I asked the guy if there was an FX loop, and / or an Aux In. Neither of which is a deal breaker, I don’t NEED an FX loop for a practice amp, and I can always go thru my Zoom B1-four for an aux in, but I asked just to set up for the next question if he said no.
He did say “I don’t think so”
so I asked “will you take $100”
He said that will do
I asked for the address, he said to meet at a Taco Bell.
I told him I wanted to test the amp, and I had a generator in my trunk, I will be bringing my bass to test it out and make sure it sounds good tool

He said thats fine, he had power in his Tacoma truck too.

Long Story a little less long, I went, I played thru it, and I brought it home.
My new practice amp. A cute little thing, LOUD AF, and it can handle my Stingray Ray 4 JUST FINE.

So, I bought an Orange Crush 20B for $40
Sold it for $120 - leaving me plus $80

I bought this Hartke for $100, using the $80 from the amp, so I got this beauty for $20 our of pocket
I am loving this $20 amp, and will for a while I suppose, unless I need to sell it for profit and get something else, but I like it, prob gonna keep

7 Likes

Darn it, I just got my bad ass little HARTKE 120W KickBack 10, with 10" speaker.

I love my SWR WorkingMan 15. It is great, but it is too much for playing within a 3 foot radius. :rofl:

I really love this amp tho. It is 160w on its own, or add the extension Cab and its 200w combined in parallel, and the add on cab (that I have in storage) is 4 x 10", so perfect.

I really wanted, and had been looking for the SWR WorkingMan 10, 100w with 10" speaker. The only one I found so far was on REVERB, a seller in Northern California (too far to drive for me) and it was NEW / OLD STOCK, along with a single speaker add on 12" cab. They wouldn’t separate, and it was like $400 plus $100 shipped (really not a bad deal considering NEW, these amps were pretty expensive for the 90’s
WorkingMan15 combo was like $659
WorkingMan12 combo was like $529
and
WorkingMan10 Combo was like $379
Not including the add on cabs that were either single speakers, or 4 x cabs.

BUT
After I got the Hartke, and was all but satisfied, somebody posted an SWR WorkingMan 10 on Offer Up for $120.

I offered $100 and it was accepted.
But
They live about an hour drive.

So, I asked if they would be out by the beach anytime soon. He replied, “Where, I work in Santa Ana”
I said Perfect, I live in Costa Mesa, and they neighbor.

I am going to get it at 2pm.

So, now the Hartke, I got it for a steak, I think I can easily double my money on it for $200, or even if I sell it for $150, it cost me $20 (with my flipping of gear, I bought it for $100), so if I were to get $150, less the $20 I put in, less the $100 for the SWR, I am now ahead $30.

So, in the end, it is all working out.

3 Likes

Move over little Fender Rumble LT25, and say hello to my new and not so little Peavey Max 300 combo amp. I’ve had it about 3 weeks now and haven’t turned the Fender back on once. I was a little hesitant to try the Peavey due to their hit or miss reputation for quality. But I really liked the sounds of the amp based on the YouTube videos I could find comparing all their models, and the price was right. So I figured I’d give it a shot!

So far I have not been disappointed, I can get a LOT of good usable tones out of this amp and for the love of God it’s plenty loud enough to compete with anything I will probably ever step into a room with. I was up in the air about going with the 1x15 Max 250 or the 2x10 Max 300. But I’m totally happy with the one I picked, it has PLENTY of bottom end!

The Overdrive is very usable, I can take it from mildly distorted, to full on vintage sounding almost fuzz, if I want to get my Black Sabbath Paranoid on. The Contour button gives it a slightly muffled smoothed out sound with a little compression, it’s pretty smooth and I could find uses for it. The Mid Shift and Bright let you control different frequency in the mids and treble ranges, good for slap or cutting through a bit more too.

Then there is the Kosmos-C button, which kicks in these really low sub harmonics that makes it sound like there is even more bottom end than there really is without making it muddy. No YouTube video I have found conveys anything even close to the way this really sounds in person. While you can definitely hear a big difference you feel it even more. It may be because I’m playing it in a smaller room, but I normally leave this off. Not that it sounds bad, it sounds pretty cool, but it’s a LOT of low frequency energy where there is already plenty.

Tuner usable, and pretty much agrees with my KLIQ Tiny Tune pedal and Snark clip on. I do prefer the KLIQ over the built in tuner or the Snark.

Active and passive input jacks cover all the bases. Although I’m not 100% sure which I should REALLY be using. My Ibanez SR370E has passive pickups, but an active EQ. I’ve plugged into both and the passive jack just makes it louder, where as the active jack pads it a bit. There is no difference I can hear other than that. <<<I’m open to opinions on that? But I doubt I will be pushing the amp so hard either will be an issue any time soon.

This back offers up most the goodies you would expect to find.

I think the only negative thing I really have to say (and this is being picky) is that they cheeped out on the fan a little. It’s not loud, but I can hear it more than I’d like in a quiet room. I used the dB meter app on my phone with it positioned in the front of the amp. Ambient quiet room was about 19dB and with the fan on it went up to 26dB. From looking at the back panel, I see plenty of room to put either a larger fan spinning slower to move more air, or multiple fans spinning slower, which would provide redundancy, and move more air.

Will I sell the Fender LT25??? I’m on the fence right now, but I’m leaning toward selling it unless I suddenly find myself using it for some reason. I only paid $229 for + the cost of the foot switch. I have all the original packaging but shipping would kill me unless I sell it local (I’m Saratoga Springs NY). I was thinking $150??? It’s in mint condition, and is a very fun little amp with all the modeling and effects baked in.

But the bottom line the Peavey sounds GREAT, is plenty LOUD, and I’m happy. We will see how it fares over time and when my brother-in-law sets up his drum kit in my basement next month when he returns. I’m pretty sure I won’t have any issues competing with him volume wise :smiling_imp:

Chris

9 Likes

You want passive here - the active/passive is referring to the pups in this case, active ones tend to be hotter.

Most preamps will have a pad button for this, haven’t seen one with two separate inputs myself, no idea how common that is.

Cool amp!

1 Like

You made the right choice IMO. I love 10" speakers, they are punchier then the 12’s and 15’s, which I find a bit muddy, especially in small rooms and when alone.
Plus they will punch thru the mix better if you ever do have to contend with guitar players and dummers.

2 Likes

it’s the old fashion pad (think Marshal of the Plexi era, old Vox, Fender until the Blackface era …) but one input is just wired to the other one with a voltage divider (a few resistors so just a passive little circuitry). the “pad” button do exactly the same by activating a similar divider after the input. on an electronic perspective it’s the exact same thing, done in a different way.

2 Likes

It’s IMO a really good looking amp, and from what you say sounds great too. Good choice!

3 Likes

I’ve got the 25 and it sounds really nice.

2 Likes

I went with the Rumble 25 instad of the 15 for 20 bucks more. It even has overdrive and contour on it. I do like the sound I get out of it for under 100 bucks still

3 Likes

A lot of us have gone with that one. I had it as my starter amp too. Great little amp, sounds killer.

They also hold their value well, I sold mine for ~$80.

Much more practical deal than the LT25 if you plan to get effects pedals anyway.

2 Likes

Here my Little Ole Fender Rumble 25. I do love this amp! My first amp way back in 87 was a peavey minx 110. It was louder than this one but I love the sound and tones I can get out of the Fender amp. For now its perfect …

11 Likes

Ah, @Sully3169 and @howard, I see you are individuals of culture as well!

Here is mine:

9 Likes

Absolutely brother !!!

4 Likes

I am loving what you got hiding behind the Rumble there! :wink:

3 Likes

@T_dub The ‘secret’ area :wink:

1 Like

The Ray

Oh, I meant it’s in the secret area, aka, the closet in the one room so no harm comes to it.

1 Like

got ya

1 Like