Show Us Your Basses (Part 2)

Yes, the second one.

3 Likes

I like the second one too.

5 Likes

Here are my current basses:

That’s my brand-new (well, as of 2 months ago) Fender Aerodyne Jazz P/J, and my new-to-me Ibanez SR375E.

20 Likes

Couple nice rigs you got there. And the rug really ties the room together. And before i forget your alarm silence code is 2775, right?

4 Likes

Bought the AM Pro Light Weight Ash Jazz last year. It is a lovely bass, but it doesn’t “feel right.” I JUST bought the Geddy Lee signature Jazz a few weeks ago. I love it. I prefer the weight of it and I just prefer the maple fretboard. It has LaBellaLTF-4A Flexible Flats. I’m in love.

21 Likes

Ummmm….there’s no rug there.

6 Likes

It just matches the flooring REALLY well. :smiley:

4 Likes

I gassed over that bass for a while. Almost pulled the trigger several times but ended up buying a P Bass instead. It is a stunner!

What didn’t you like about it?

9 Likes

Yeah, i know. That’s why i knew what the alarm code WAS.

4 Likes

Man, that is one good looking jazz bass. They’re both really nice but the look of that one just gets me.

I, also, would like to hear your thoughts on how they felt different. It’s always interesting to hear what provides the spark for one but not another.

6 Likes

Ok it arrived.
MIG Warwick Katana Neck Through. It feels really great. The fisheye pearl inlays looks sick.

33 Likes

alright, alright, take my money… :heart_eyes: :money_with_wings: Seriously?! That headstock alone with gold EVERYTHING looks like it belongs in an art museum… Would I frame it or play it? IDK.

6 Likes

I’d put a gold strings on this one for sure, lol. The balance is a bit too much to the back, I think. I’m reaching to the first fret quite a bit. The neck feels longer than normal when sitting down. I’m sure it’ll be balance standing. Still putting it through its pace. I’m recording this so hopefully the first impression would come out while playing songs for the first time. Let’s see what kind of inspiration this one can bring out.

9 Likes

Man, that’s a knockout, @Al1885! Just gorgeous. Enjoy, my friend.

7 Likes

[quote=“roylclay, post:883, topic:39254, full:true”]
Thanks for the questions. I’m happy to discuss, but it is hard to explain. It was a feeling of imbalance. The ash body didn’t quite feel heavy enough against my body maybe? The neck felt disproportionately heavy?
I feel stupid for saying it. It is gorgeous, new, Corona, CA made, and clearly a professional bass.
But when I went and sat down with the used MiM Geddy Lee it just felt balanced/heavier. And I really do like a maple fretboard. And the neck is a little thinner too, so it felt just easier (which may have to do with my 56-year-old, thick short, worker hands). Visually, the GL Jazz looks like the basses I used to dream about owning when I couldn’t afford them, silly enough. The Am Pro looks like it should be in a museum display and that I would be committing sacrilege to ding it on the corner of a wooden barstool.
I am guessing I will regret it in the future, but I am going to let it go and get another guitar (I’ll be giving one of mine to my daughter) and a better amp or speaker/modeler combo for the bass.
Hope that makes sense.

roy

8 Likes

Here it is so you don’t have to search:
It is hard to explain. It was a feeling of imbalance. The ash body didn’t quite feel heavy enough against my body maybe? The neck felt disproportionately heavy?
I feel stupid for saying it. It is gorgeous, new, Corona, CA made, and clearly a professional bass.
But when I went and sat down with the used MiM Geddy Lee it just felt balanced/heavier. And I really do like a maple fretboard. And the neck is a little thinner too, so it felt just easier (which may have to do with my 56-year-old, thick short, worker hands). Visually, the GL Jazz looks like the basses I used to dream about owning when I couldn’t afford them, silly enough. The Am Pro looks like it should be in a museum display and that I would be committing sacrilege to ding it on the corner of a wooden barstool.
I am guessing I will regret it in the future, but I am going to let it go and get another guitar (I’ll be giving one of mine to my daughter) and a better amp or speaker/modeler combo for the bass.
Hope that makes sense.

roy

6 Likes

It does make sense. I have a BFR Fuego 5 string fretless. It’s drop dead gorgeous but it’s about 1.5-2 pounds to light. It only weighs 7.5 pound. A 4 string musicman usually weight about 10.5-11 pounds a modern ones are 9-9.5 pounds which is a perfect weight in my opinion.

Leo’s basses should weight around 9-10 pounds to feel good and solid. Too light it doesn’t feel like quality, lol.

IMG_3438

15 Likes

It is gorgeous! But what you said makes me feel better about my reasoning.

6 Likes

My EBMM Cutlass with its Alder body weighs a perfect 8.5 lbs. My Mayones Mala 4 with its Swamp Ash body is almost a pound heavier.

The Cutlass has a slightly wider nut (41.3 mm) and thinner neck than the Mala with its classic Jazz neck thickness and 38mm nut. Each is a joy to play, but for very different reasons.

I used to have a heavy vintage Fender Jazz and a heavy Rick 4001. Not a fan of heavy. I can muscle them fine. Just don’t care to.

6 Likes

None of that sounds strange to me. Feel, Look, Sound, you want all three. If the Geddy Lee gives you all three, it’s the one to keep. :slightly_smiling_face::+1:

7 Likes