Show us your straps!

I have a rule about stuff that I have. It must be usable with the least effort. I know what I’m like. I have a chin up bar that makes a fantastic washing hanger.
I put a towel on a benchpress bar once which stopped me using it for 18 months.
So I have a strap on every functional bass in the house. I figured that I’d try a few different sorts and had settled on 3 inch and above wide. I have a padded leather one on the fender that could easily be a wrestler’s belt.
Then the bass manager at my local shop said “I use one of these. I just got four in.”
For a man who has the run of the shop, I figure he might know what he’s talking about.
So that’s how I happen to have a Neotech Super Strap.

I now wish every bass had one of these on it. The neoprene lets it curve across the width of the strap, which you may not think makes a difference…
until you try it.

7 Likes

when i got my little 5 string mikro i was short a strap, so i gave the mikro the strap from my bongo and bought an kliq aircell. it is very comfortable and well made. my only 2 complaints are #1, the leather ends that attach to the posts are too thick to allow me to use my usual rubber “washer” type straplocks. not much of a complaint, saying that the leather is too high quality. #2 and surprisingly more concerning is that this strap is loud?? the material is very squeaky, sounds like a creepy door opening in a monster movie. and it happens every time you move. so if this is ok with you, get one. if you find this sort of thing annoying, don’t. i find it pretty annoying, but too be honest not enough that i’m going to return it or anything.

3 Likes

The next one I try is going to be that Neotech that someone posted about. I looked them up and that company also makes maternity belts. If a pregnant woman thinks that material and their designs are comfortable, that’s a pretty good sign!

3 Likes

That’s weird! My Kliq AirCell isn’t like that at all. Totally quiet, the leather is very soft, and plenty of room for the strap locks too.

Chris

3 Likes

I agree, I have no such problems and my Aircell is good. If there is one criticism I have or improvement, it’s that it’s not grippy enough on clothes and the guitar can slip round quite easily. But given the material on the strap, not sure how it can squeak unless it’s the leather rubbing on the fixing posts?

2 Likes

Agreed, those air cells could use some rubber coating for some grip. But it doesn’t bother me anywhere near as much as my last strap did being so hot.

Chris

3 Likes

You guys are using the pointy side facing in on the aircell, right? The smooth side is the outside.

Mine doesn’t move at all, and super comfy. Also no squeaking.

Leather is way too thick though, yeah. I’ve had to bore all of the holes out with a knife before using them.

2 Likes

That’s exactly what it is. I’m thinking it will loosen up over time.

2 Likes

I just bored mine out with a razor knife. No noise.

1 Like

Yup. I gotta stop wearing silk shirts for practice. :grin:

3 Likes

Very nice @T_dub

4 Likes

Thanks,
it is heavy, but
A - I like the studded leather
and
B - it is surprisingly comfortable compared to the thin, tie down, style straps on my other basses.

3 Likes

I just got myself the black one and I really love it!!

2 Likes

New Strap Day! :partying_face: Bought a Gruvgear SoloStrap 4 Neo so that I can experiment with shorter strap lengths.

My previous (and first and only, until today) strap is an Ernie Ball Wide Neoprene Polylock Comfort Strap, which only goes as short as 114 cm. It was not short enough to hold the bass up when I was sitting, so I’ve been effectively resting it on my leg since day 1, with the strap only being there for safety. When I stood up the bass dropped way too low, and was almost unplayable to me, because everything felt so different and uncomfortable.

With the Gruvgear my new strap length is currently 103 cm, and my bass is finally at the same height and position both sitting and standing, no longer touching my leg. The downside is that this is yet again a new position, and everything feels completely different… :roll_eyes: The low frets feel as if they’re a kilometer away, and 1FPF without microshifting is out of the question now. On the plus side, the higher frets feel a lot more playable.

So yeah… Feels a bit like the first week of B2B all over again, but I think this shorter strap length will be the way to go, just need to get used to it.

9 Likes

@akos Yes! It’s a complete game changer! And, I now I have to ditch my Pirri guitar strap in favor of a real bass strap…

Some people invest in basses, I guess I’ll invest in straps since there’s no storefront to try them out at. Based on reviews, I ordered both the Levy and the Gruv Gear Solostap Neo to see which I liked best:

The Levy came in first. It fits very well, and I had no problems with getting it fit to the Schaller S-Locks. One of the big knocks against it in the reviews was packaging; too tight, creasing the strap. Looks like “they” listened. Mine came in a VERY oversized box, and was wrapped with a very light rubber band. The adjustment system is the same as my old Perri’s 2" guitar strip it replaced. The thing fits great! I was concerned it would crawl up my neck, but it’s no problem at all. It rests comfortably on my shoulder; very comfortably.

That was yesterday…

Gruv-Gear was waiting for me after work today. Packaged better than the Levy, but whoa! the odor of the VOCs from the thing strong! I was surprised not to see a Proposition 65 warning* anywhere on the box or packaging. The odor is VERY strong. However, the strap was sealed in a plastic bag; hopefully the VOCs will dissipate after awhile.

However, the strap feels really sturdy, and the pad for the shoulder feels really comfy. The material on the pad area is a bit more satin feeling than the Levy, so the strap can slip over the shoulder more easily. Whether that’s a plus or a minus, I am not sure. I’ll chalk that up to personal preference. If your bass has neck dive, this might be a concern. The strap ends are pretty stiff, so I wonder if strap locks are really necessary; it feels really secure on standard strap hardware.

The stories about the adjustment system are not an exaggeration. One of the clips took serious force to lock and unlock. I had to use a hard object press against one of the clips to lock and unlock it; it would have been impossible to do with my bare fingers. It doesn’t adjust as long as the Levy can, but it was just large enough for me ( and I am big guy). Having said all that, if you use your old strap as a guide, you should only have to adjust the Gruv Gear once, and then you are set and this should be no concern.

Both of these steps are an upgrade over my old 2" Perri guitar strap. I have two basses and now two straps! Most importantly, my bass is supported properly to give me access to the full fret board.

• Proposition 65 requires businesses to provide warnings to Californians about significant exposures to chemicals that cause cancer, birth defects or other reproductive harm. … Proposition 65 requires California to publish a list of chemicals known to cause cancer, birth defects or other reproductive harm.
    https://oehha.ca.gov/proposition-65/about-proposition-65
4 Likes

Good for you, Ken @kwt7667 . . . :slight_smile:

A good, wide, padded strap is very important and it should support the weight across your shoulder much better than a 2" guitar strap.

Those VOCs should dissipate after awhile, too. (like a “new car smell” :wink: )

Proposition 65 always gives me a good laugh!

Cheers
Joe

6 Likes

I have the Jim Dunlop BMF 3.5 strap. It’s stupid expensive (like $130?), but great leather and quality construction. Suits me perfectly. I didn’t like the wider straps (4"+) as they cut into my neck. My only complaint on this one is that I have it on the smallest setting and it is still a smidgin too long when sitting. And I’m 5’10" so I wouldn’t expect that.

2 Likes

Theron,
You can give me the widest strap that you can find. Maybe it’s because of the 70’s era Jazz bass. That thing weighed a ton. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@howard

After noting that the smallest the Kliq can go is 46" I measured my unpadded Levy and it is set at 43". Here is the price of the replacement you recommended on Amazon in Canada.

This is one expensive strap.

4 Likes

Weird. Still $30 here.

3 Likes