Ska Bass

Practice your triads, work up your speed on chugging eighth notes, done! :stuck_out_tongue:

9 Likes

Roadmap to ska:

1. Bob Marley
  2. Toots & The Maytals
  3. The Clash
  4. Madness
  5. Everything else (90s ska revival, etc)

Ska bass might need its own thread? I know there are some ska heads out there that know the good stuff.

7 Likes

Ska bass might need its own thread? I know there are some ska heads out there that know the good stuff.

90’s ska-kid here. What do you want to know? Are you looking for 2nd-wave two-tone Brit stuff of 3rd-wave “ska revival” stuff? Tons of good bands out there. There were a lot of really awesome compilation ska CDs in the 90s that featured a lot of really cool local bands that played a more “traditional” style (as opposed to the ska-pop-punk that became popular in the late 90s). I will have to pull out my case logic cases.

Some good 90s bands that come immediately to mind are: The Toasters; The Articles; New York Ska Jazz Ensemble; Let’s Go Bowling; Mustard Plug; Mu330; Dance Hall Crashers; Pietasters. Some comps I remember were “American Skathic” I, II, and III; Skarmagedon, Skankaholics Anonymous.

2 Likes

I agree. @JoshFossgreen can you move all this SKA stuff from the Post your Covers thread to it’s own thread? Thanks!

2 Likes

Three songs on my “list to learn” are ska: Our House by Madness, One Step Beyond also by Madness, and Ghost Town by The Specials.

Good stuff. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@JustTim

Hate to be “that guy.” But “Our House” is no more ska that No Doubt’s “Spiderwebs” is.

Ok, fine, so one of the songs on my “to learn list” is ska-adjacent. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Ha!

1 Like